Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MD-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MD-11

Back in the days, I reluctantly bought the PMDG MD-11, while waiting for the 737, as it was the only high quality study-level airliner available for FSX. I actually ended up never buying the 737, but flying around in Europe on real short haul MD-11 Cargo routes, published on this forum, was great. The systems on the MD-11 were intriguing, the robotic voice slightly horrifying and it was a fun challenge to hand-fly the plane. I still think the MD-11 was the best aircraft add-on I've flown to date. Atmospheric, exotic and challenging.

I've heard rumours about the DC6 selling really well, and personally my interest in the hobby has been relit by the new MS/Asobo flight simulator.

Higher volume sales could perhaps make it possible for the developers to scale up a bit, and offer more products. I don't know if PMDG still have the connections and competence on the MD-11 to make a new virtual clone of the airplane, but I would think that the increased marked and interest in flight simulation could open up for more products.

Any rumours or ideas?

https://youtu.be/0EQ9-m-nuPI

- Jon

At least 2 MD-11s are now in the pipeline by other developers, one for P5D, one for XP11/12
    ZHU Hai
    B737 Ground instructor

Comment

Originally posted by AngelofAttack View Post
      At least 2 MD-11s are now in the pipeline by other developers, one for P5D, one for XP11/12
      The P3D MD11 is a dual development with MSFS.

Jon - a few people have asked the same question of PMDG and the answer has always seemed to be no, but RSR did say PMDG have 11 products in the pipeline for MSFS, however is still unlikely for the MD11 to be one
      Joe Colehouse EGCC

Comment

Jup PMDG won‘t do it again for reasons that go beyond my understanding. IMO the MD11 failed for them because the infrastucture for complex long haul addons wasn‘t there and then they built addons that would naturally outsell the MD11. If they had brought the MD11 now instead of then with the experience and possibilities they have today it would have been different, 100%.

Anyway, as it was said before, no PMDG eleven anymore but others are in the making. TFDi did the 717 and they did it really well so there is something for us to look forward. And man I agree: I‘d take a MD11 above yet another 737 anytime.
        Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
        Marc Ehnle

Comment

The reasoning has been explained many times. MD11 is not profitable period. We had the legacy 737 and 747 back then, so nothing to do with complex long haul.
          Chris Makris (Olympic260)
          PMDG Technical Support
          http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post
            The reasoning has been explained many times. MD11 is not profitable period. We had the legacy 737 and 747 back then, so nothing to do with complex long haul.
            I know, Chris, it wasn't meant to sound rude, it somehow does when I read it a second time. It's simply that when the MD11 was released there was nearly no infrastructure available for the community like addon airports, charts, no tracking programs, Vatsim was even very young, technical possibilities were not yet there, no EFB, no extensive performance calculation, all the things that quickly became available shortly after. It's not only that people aren't interested in the MD11 like they are in the 737 or 747, it's also to a large degree that such a different aircraft would have needed different support from the community and 3rd party addons (Navigraph for example). All that came later. I wouldn't be surprised if the TFDi version will outsell the PMDG one. Not because a "better" product but a more supporting environment today.
            Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
            Marc Ehnle

Comment

I suspect people want to reminisce on their days with this old bird. Flight Simulator has come a long way; in *some* ways the sweet spot was a level of complexity that kept one engaged but not overwhelmed (please no one jump me). And although I never flew PDMG MD-11 it sounds like the flight model was really ahead of its time.

For me it is Level D Simulations 767, of which I racked up an almost embarrassing number of hours on FS9 (back in the day). Also, I could plant that thing on the runway like a champ every time.

On today's tubeliners I tend to spend as much time preparing to fly as I do actually flying (I like short hauls whether it's a real-world route or not).

Looking forward to what we'll see in 2022.
              Mark Trainer

Comment

I've not tested the recent PMDG products, but the MD-11 felt like a real machine, not an animated object. I also think the system simulation was pretty deep.

Originally posted by cmakris View Post
                The reasoning has been explained many times. MD11 is not profitable period.
                Maybe this is still true, but with even dedicated Boeing and Airbus flight controllers showing up as main-stream products after the MSFS relaunch, maybe the marked is different now. Even a DC6 is a pretty exotic plane? But the MD-11 most have been a huge undertaking...

- Jon
                Last edited by Pratt & Whiny; 03Jan2022, 15:16.

Comment

It’s my favourite aircraft- a cross between Boeing and Airbus, but unfortunately no discussion regarding this subject ever ends well.
                  Jude Bradley
                  System specs: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9-9900KF Gigabyte Z390, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM Prepar3D V5 X-Plane 11.50 Beta tester for MS2020
                  http://downloads.pmdg.com/forum/Signatures/PMDG_Banner_777_Pilot.jpg

Comment

While I'd like to see it return as much as the next person, I'd rather PMDG work on other products than the tired 737, 777 and 747. It would be nice to have another addition to the 7 family done right (cough 757/67 cough). And the tri-holer is returning albeit under a different name, which I expect their work to be just as good as what we have come to expect here. It's a shame because obviously it's a lost market to hold on to but it's also holding them back from working on other new projects. After seeing how recently a once well respected developer has now broken up and their product line left out to die, it's nice to know that PMDG will be picking up the slack, slowly but surely.
                    Jacob Buchanan

Comment

A 757 would be fantastic. What other developer are you referring to that broke up? PMDG taking over some already started projects?

-Jon M.

Comment

• Swagger897
                        Swagger897 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not going to mention their name here but their 757 used to be a third party staple aircraft back in the Fs9 and FSX days. Their last release before the team disbanded was a 767 but since then everything released has been subpar.
                    Working...
                    X