Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

How do you cruise climb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you cruise climb?

Hi all,

Just wondering what autopilot and auto throttle modes you use for cruise climbing. Is there a cruise climb function in the FMC? As of now I just disengage the auto throttle, set the altitude in the FMC that I want to cruise climb to, it will go into VNAV PTH, I'll set cruise RPM and it'll slowly mosey on up.

Any tips on how to do this otherwise?

Cheers.
    Daniel Glover

Cruise Climb = step climb? In cruise I'm always in vnav/lnav so I just dial in the new altitude and press altitude intervene. Although first, of course I set the step climb altitude on the climb page and then climb at the right time.
    Last edited by AndreH; 27Dec2021, 10:59.
    André Hansson

Comment

Yeah not step climb. Cruise climb being the aircraft climbs due to it becoming lighter as it burns fuel, while a step climb is done at climb power I believe a cruise climb is done at cruise power and is much more gradual. A cruise climb is probably a lot less common in the world these days due to the busy airspace since you would probably need a block level to do a cruise climb.
      Daniel Glover

Comment

About the only time this was used was with Concorde and some Military Jets who were far above traditional FLs and had the upper sky to themselves. Concorde would fly a continuous climb at low FPM to keep her at her optimal performance altitude, as weight decreased. Sadly, she flies no more.

For the more common steps, one could also use SPD/VS at 3-400 fpm so as not to tinkle the Martinis in First....

HTH
        Last edited by cavaricooper; 27Dec2021, 12:02.
        Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by Dannnnn View Post
          Yeah not step climb. Cruise climb being the aircraft climbs due to it becoming lighter as it burns fuel, while a step climb is done at climb power I believe a cruise climb is done at cruise power and is much more gradual. A cruise climb is probably a lot less common in the world these days due to the busy airspace since you would probably need a block level to do a cruise climb.
          Cruise climb would first require a block of altitudes cleared by ATC and in most of the traveled air spaces this is a rarity. There's very little to be gained over the now common step climb where the FMC has already taken into account the fuel burn for the climb verses the savings and in some types the wind as well. Depending on your CI, the FMC may often recommend an altitude other than the optimum because optimum is not based on CI. We use the automation.
          Dan Downs KCRP
          i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

Comment

There is no AP mode for a cruise climb as it's basically not used anywhere in the world where the 737 (or any other of PMDGs simulated aircraft types) operates.
            The OPT altitude increases by a hundret feet about every 8 minutes'ish, so not even a 50fpm climb in V/S mode would give you a cruise climb. It's simply nothing the aircraft is meant to do.

Comment

All things being equal, carrying out a Cruise Climb is considered to be the most fuel efficient way of operating a long range jet aircraft in the cruise. As Carl has already said, it was a routine procedure for Concorde on its flights across the N. Atlantic and it was also very common in the early days of commercial jet operations when there was very little other traffic about.

Provided there is no known turbulence about and the air traffic is light ATC may clear a long range aircraft on request, to Cruise Climb by blocking the airspace between two flight levels; usually with a restriction to be at the higher requested flight level by a certain position or time. For example, an aircraft such as the B744 would use the A/P and A/T and the MCP and FMS would be updated with the new flight level. The aircraft would then be slowly climbed - usually at the indicated FMC cruise speed and the current OPT altitude for its weight - using V/S mode. A small climb rate of +100'/min is used as required as the aircraft becomes lighter and it is important to keep the aircraft below the maximum altitude for its weight.

In the B744 both the planned climb speed and the selected cruise speed will not be adversely affected by the speed envelope as there should still be sufficient manoeuvre margin and excess thrust available at the higher altitude. However, this procedure needs to be monitored very closely, especially in the last 300ft of the Cruise Climb. There is no speed protection if an early ALT Capture takes place and this could result in an undesirable loss in Mach No./airspeed before the aircraft levels off at the new flight level.
              Michael Codd

Comment

Earlier jet autopilots had a mode called Mach hold, which functioned in a manner similar to IAS hold except that it held the mach number. If a cruise climb was going to be done, this was how it was done, with the Mach hold mode of the autopilot, and typically with max continuous thrust set.
                Tony Vallillo

Comment

Thanks for the responses, interesting stuff.
                  Daniel Glover

Comment

I want to know which modes I use for cruise climbing and I have found my question answer in your post. Thanks for helping me out by sharing useful stuff with us. I would also like to help you by sharing the https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/bestessays/ website through which you can read reviews for an essay writing service. I also use that website to find the best essay writer for me.
                    Last edited by PedroKRoss; 21Feb2022, 07:49.

Comment

Only aircraft I know have this kind of things are Concorde...
                      In RVSM airspace, you have to keep altitude very precise, and when changing altitude, you'll have to report ATC if you can't maintain above 500fpm or need more than 1500fpm
                      ZHU Hai
                      B737 Ground instructor

Comment

Working...
                      X