Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[24DEC21] T'was the Night Before Christmas...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[24DEC21] T'was the Night Before Christmas...

Captains,

...But this would go seriously wrong.
    Because we all know I can't rhyme, or write out in song.
    My post must be well crafted and worded with care.
    Because some bloke from Australia will just tell me its already Christmas over there.

We'd much prefer to give you a preview, you see.
    Of the work we've been doing on our new Seven Three.
    Backlighting's installed and more tweaking we've done.
    The dimmers now work which just makes it more fun.

The flap handle moves and it clacks and it clatters.
    The stick shaker shakes so you know something's the matter.
    The flaps you can set to your every whims
    the trimwheel will rattle and grind while it spins.

Panel flood lighting floods and annunciators flash.
    The TCAS ain't yet working, so maintain visual on that Dash.
    The non-reflective coating is on the screens with great care
    So you won't have problems reading the screens through a glare.

Autobrake works but is still subject to tweeking,
    for proper acceleration gives you the brake distance you are seeking.
    The FMC is running and draws a nice magenta line.
    Follow the Flight Director and you should do just fine.

You'll have options by the hundreds you can choose with a click,
    Along with ground maintenance support In case a valve it should stick.
    The Ground Ops is there, just like in P3D
    with Lav Trucks and Cleaners, chocks, belt loaders, or even AC.

EGPWS is griping about flaps, gear and terrain,
    Nav display shows it like a green, yellow and red stain.
    The same screen will give you a nice VSD.
    STARs are easier to plan when the profile you can see.

So things are progressing, in spite of knee knockers.
    Performance is fast, even if you aren't an over-clocker.
    Each week I think "Ah! I shall shoot something for YouTube!"
    Then my schedule explodes which makes for a bad mood.

We still have components to wire into place.
    But we are sure when see, this will put a smile on your face.
    We are taking a few days off, but soon this bird shall take flight.
    For now Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good DC-6 flight.

PMDG_NG3_Backlight_01.jpg

Okay, okay okay... If that doesn't get an award for the most horrible butchering of a pithy poem, I don't know what would.

On a more serious note, I wanted to drop a few images for you to kick off this Christmas weekend. BIG BOLD REMINDER THAT THESE ARE IN-DEVELOPMENT IMAGES and the images are about a week out of phase with the latest build, but it has taken me a few days to cleave out some free time to get them posted for you.

The last two weeks have been busy. Much of the focus is on stuff you can't see, but Vin and Henning have been hard at work on lighting related functionality. One of the things I particularly love is that we have gotten the non-reflective coating in place on the displays and you can see from the image above that the main panel flood lighting gets gauzy as it plays off the lower display unit and the CDUs from this angle. I have had the misfortune of sitting on the jumpseat in the 737 on more occasions than I care to recall (you don't sit IN the 737 jumpseat, you sit ON it...) and the lighting quality and mood conveyed in this image is exactly as I recall it. Fortunately, I don't have to do that any more- as one's backside can only take so much 737 jumpseat- and you REALLY haven't lived until you have sat on the second jumpseat, but that is a story for a different day.

The backlighting is being tweaked and most of the flood lighting is now working properly. We are doing a bit of research on the specifications for a few of the different lighting elements and bulbs used in some key places, as getting their emissive qualities just right takes a bit of technical data. As we dial them in, things really start to look convincing, especially at night when surveying the flight deck while at high altitude with the ground lighting well below the airplane. It is a really impressive look, especially if you have VR to work with.

Next up in the lighting department are some of the point lights and purpose lighting, such as the environmental lighting, etc. I have lost track of whether Jason has finished tweaking all of the lighting options for the exterior model, but we have variations with standard lighting and others with LED, along with their various property differences and emmisive qualities.

PMDG_NG3_Backlight_05.jpg

We are currently working to finish implementing the various load-states that are customary to MSFS. These are the "pre-configured" states in which you might load the airplane from the flight menu in MSFS and include configurations such as parked on the ramp, taxiing onto the runway, climbout, cruise, descent, approach, etc. These have to be knit tightly to the sim's expectations and norms so that when you load the airplane and choose, say, a spot where the airplane would be expected to be in a specific configuration- it should match that expectation immediately upon load. We have been working through these and while some of them are quite straight forward, others are not when you have thousands of realistic system inter-dependencies modeled within the airplane, so we are slowly working through stamping out the problems.

For those who like them, we will also ship the product to you with a number of scenarios from Cold/Dark to various stages of preparation so that you can load those as starting points just like you can do in the Prepar3D version. Our main goal here is to avoid capability loss so that you have as much of the functionality you are used to as we can possibly deliver.

Some other good news is that we have eliminated the much maligned 20 second timer that we introduced back in 2008 with our MD-11... This was a necessary evil in Prepar3D but we have managed to remove it finally in MSFS- and this will mean that you will have the airplane running normally the moment you enter the sim, which is a nice thing.

This week we finished implementing the terrain awareness capability on the NAV display. I will try to remember to include that in our next round of cockpit visual updates so that you can see how nice it looks in MSFS. The good news is that the display logic for the terrain is the same display logic that gets used to apply a weather radar layer, so once the community convinces Asobo to give developers access to the weather layer, it will be a quick thing to tap into it in order to draw the radar returns as appropriate. We haven't heard much other than innuendo on this topic- but I am sure it will come around eventually.

The plan for 737 is still to release her on both PC and for Xbox. She will be made available both on our site and via MS Marketplace. Those who qualified for promotional pricing on the new 737 by purchasing the PMDG 737NGXu for P3D back when it released two years ago will obviously need to make the purchase from us directly in order to have the promotional pricing applied at checkout. We will have more information for those qualifying customers as we announce an actual release plan for the PMDG 737 for MSFS.

On the topic of releases: We are still awaiting confirmation from Microsoft to tell us when the update required on the Xbox platform will allow PMDG DC-6 for MSFS to get turned back on for sale on the Xbox platform. We are hoping it won't be long and we shall keep you posted with any information we learn.

Many folks have asked if we will be doing videos to preview the 737 and also if we will have a video tutorial series. The answer on both counts is yes.

When? That is a bit harder to nail down. I am pretty task focused on areas of the 737 development that are my responsibility and forward progress is miserably, painfully complex at the moment so it is taking longer than I think any of us like. Once I have my areas of responsibility secured I will transition to production- and you'll know that has happened when you see things start trickling into the youtube channel. I always think "it might be next week" and every week, I prove myself right.

All of us at PMDG hope all of you have a pleasant weekend ahead and a Happy Christmas. The last two years have been particularly difficult for all of us here on this marble we call Earth. I know that we all come from different places with different perspectives and sometimes our community can get a bit grumpy within itself. We hope that in spite of this, each of you can take a few moments to say hello to someone you might not normally acknowledge, greet someone new and welcome them to the community, and share a few laughs and smiles with those who's company you enjoy here in the PMDG forum.

We are glad you are here, and we are really looking forward to an exciting 2022 with all of you!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Thanks for the update and pictures. Hope you guys at PMDG have a Merry Christmas and can't wait for the new year and what's in store!
    Yoshi Elder

Comment

Robert, I think you did pretty good on your poem, at least for someone who don't usually wanders into those areas. You put both a smile and a laugh on my face

This is looking really good, thanks for sharing the pictures! The best of luck in further finishing up this lovely bird!

I wish all of you at PMDG and here on the forum, a very merry christmas! Make the best out of it, and keep focusing on what matters; each other! (and of course PMDG planes)

All the best!

Regards, Orjan Polman.
      ENGM

Comment

Robert, i didn’t know you had a hidden talent the poem is exceptional.👏🙂Also thankyou for sharing and updating us with with all the information through out the whole year.You and the team have a wonderful Christmas and a safe healthy new year.🎄
        Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Nice update Robert. Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone at PMDG.
          David Webster

Comment

Yes give it to me baby! I want it all and I want it now!

Merry Christmas!

Gr.

Robert Koolstr.

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
              Captains,
              Because some bloke from Australia will just tell me its already Christmas over there.
              You're sales in Aeterora have just plummeted.

Xmas in secular lands (Aeoteroa / Gwandanaland) is just consumerism ....

cheers
              john martin

Comment

Haha,

I‘ve never before read out an RSR announcement loudly, my girlfriend frowned and the Malamute started to howl to (or discuss?) the rhythm 🤣 nice one!

I‘m currently en-route over Nunavut in the DC6 out of Thule (where there's supposed to be a pretty girl behind every tree) bringing Santa to America so I hope you guys might have a cozy little Christmas too =) He told me not to take a selfie of us as he's not overly comfortable wearing that blue mask across his beard so you'll just have to trust me on this.

Merry Christmas everyone, happy holidays to those who don't celebrate, stay healthy and keep that smile.
                Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
                Marc Ehnle

Comment

I could say so much about your poetic capabilities, but it's Christmas so...

The screenshots look incredible! If you all look closely, you can see light playing off the throttle and reverser handles. Tiny, very bright spots, just like in P3d when you hit just the right angle in external view and get blinded. Yes, it's dark, but the same kind of effect. Amazing!

Are you trying to pull a fast one though? Picture #2, in the background, there is a FedEx MD-11 parked at the gate...Let the conspiracies (and subsequent bloodbath) begin!

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year to you and yours, and to one and all!!!
                  Curtis Smith

KSUS/1H0/ Core i9 9900K, ASUS ROG Z390E, 32GB G Skill Ripjaws, EVGA RTX2070 Super

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                    rsrandazzo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Curtis- It is worth noting that I do not have an MD-11 in my office. So the thing is really and truly dead. LOL - RSR

To Capt Randazzo (great art in your poem) PMDG Team and every one in this forum Merry Christmas, Happy Flying in 2022! I have this feeling that 2022 will bring hot technology to PMDG products that will blow our mind. you guys rock! I can't wait for my Boeings parked at my KRNT,KBFI and KPAE MSFS airports! -) RO
                  Rolando Olmo

Comment

Just to let you know - it isn't Christmas in Aus yet...
                    Ross Crawford
                    Mostly Harmless

Comment

• HenrikIsaksen
                      HenrikIsaksen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good thing the world is more then just Aus

This looks remarkable - thank you for the little pre-Christmas update - can't wait to see what you and your team bring to the community in 2022!

Merry Christmas!

Luke Carter | BritishAvgeek
                    youtube.com/britishavgeek

Luke Carter | Flight Sim Content Creator & PPL Student Pilot
                    youtube.com/britishavgeek

Comment

First off, merry Christmas to you and the rest of the team!
                      As a 737 F/O sky rider, I am looking forward to this bird in MSFS in VR. 😊

I thought it was a beautiful and funny poem, keep it up! Next year, do one every week of Christmas! 😉

Take care! 💪🏻😁🛫

// Jakob
                      Jakob Fallesen - 737 skysurfer

Comment

Thanks for the update!
                        I don't know if you can comment on this but is the MAX planned to release after the NG3, or is there another (no need to specify which) release planned in between?
                        Also, regarding customizability, will there be more cockpit options than in the P3D version? I'd love to see more variants of the tcas and radio panel in general
                        Henrik Isaksen

Cabin Crew on the Boeing 737
                        Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.0Ghz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200Mhz | Windows 11

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                          rsrandazzo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Henrik- I am going to provide you with a lawyer-like answer: "Yes, MAX will be released after NG3." (Because it ain't gonna happen before... LOL) As to the rest, of your question- perhaps over time, but creating various providers different equipment options isn't a priority at this juncture. - RSR

• HenrikIsaksen
                          HenrikIsaksen commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good enough answer for me

Thanks for the update, a nice Christmas Present, Merry Christmas to all!
                        Joe Colehouse EGCC

Comment

Great update Rob, really enjoyed the poem

Merry Christmas/happy holidays to you, the team and everyone here on the forums!

Here’s to a great 2022 in flight simulation!
                          Rob Crawshaw
                          📺 Flight Sim Content Creator | youtube.com/bobbyfuzzy

Comment

THank you very much for the infos...P3D died faster than I thought. excited for this new chapter...happy holidays of course.
                            OBLIGATORY REGARDS,
                            GRÉGOIRE BEAUGENDRE

Comment

PMDG discord when?
                              Avisekh Chowdhury

​​​​​​Amogus

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                rsrandazzo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nameless- Just hang around here. Every time I post something there is discord. :-) Joking aside, please do take a quick read of our forum guidelines. We'd appreciate you signing your posts here so we all know what to call one another. - RSR

You have officially replaced Dr Seuss as a story rhymer
                              Kudos to you
                              Bo Klop
                              flight simulator enthusiast

Comment

Robert, you're a poet and your mama knows it. Your feet are Longfellows! Merry Christmas to you and the team.
                                Mike Wilkshire
                                DFW

Comment

I hope the team don't get lax
                                  and give us soon, a 737 MAX!
                                  Paul Gugliotta

Comment

Thank you for all your hard work PMDG. Enjoy the break!

We wish you a merry Christmas and sturdy main gear!
                                    Kind regards.
                                    Sam Stratton

Comment

Originally posted by Traden View Post
                                      PMDG discord when?
                                      They don't plan on it. Also, PMDG requires you to sign your posts with your first and last name, which you agreed to when you created an account here. You can set up a signature to prevent forgetting to do so by following the instructions here:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...pdated-25feb19
                                      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Traden
                                        Traden commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Ok I'll do that ASAP👍

Great news! Looks fantastic! Get some rest these holidays too!
                                      Luis Linares
                                      i9-6700K, GTX 2080Ti, 64GB DDR4

Comment

‘Twas the night before Christmas and all thru the house, GFO still doesn’t exist for anyone but the little family of beta mouse.

Then down the chimney with a terrible fright came the “sign your post” grinches with their familiar sight. “sign your posts” they say with no direct answer for the naughty children who just probably didn’t know any better.

Eye Candy 2020 is the goal for all, even though your base, those “knee knocker” airliner simmers helped build up this place.

All we’ve wanted is new LNAV and GFO for days. Give us ATIS WX and AOC in the box, otherwise all you’ll hear is our “knee knocks.”

Instead of these gifts, Santa delivered a new XBOX.

On that note, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good flight*!

(*Preferably in an aircraft with AOC, CDPLC and “non PMDG” vehicle integration)

PS-I didn’t have a sim when the NGXu came out, so no eye candy NG3 for me apparently not at that price. Even though I bought everything PMDG makes as soon as I got my rig-save the BBJ and freighter…
                                        Ross McDonagh
                                        KBOS
                                        PC: Jetline Systems Customized Gravity GT2
                                        i7 10700K @5.1ghz//RTX 3080ti 12GB/32GB DDR4 @3200mhz//2x 1TB M.2 NVMe/1x 360GB SATA SSD//850W Corsair Power supply

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                          rsrandazzo commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Ross- I have added you to the PMDG Internal Betting Table under the category: "Quietly Converts to MSFS." It is gonna happen. :-) - RSR

• micstatic
                                          micstatic commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          will be interesting to watch all this. While many roads will lead from P3D to MSFS. I think many will also lead to Xp12. And some roads will possibly have a "do not enter" sign and people will stay right here at p3d. My goal for 2022 is to feel the love some of you have for the new sim. I am struggling big time to get into it. Perhaps you should add me to the internal betting table also though

• FBWFTW
                                          FBWFTW commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          When there’s some properly modeled IFR airplanes. Perhaps it won’t be EyeCandy 2020 anymore. I’d probably go to XP before EC2020.

Amazing news and so exciting! Merry Xmas one and all.
                                        Paul Richards

Comment

Great update Robert, loved the poem!.

Did anyone else try to read the subsequent paragraphs like a poem too before realising nothing fits anymore? or maybe that was just me and my brain fog.. haha.

Happy Christmas to all the team at PMDG and here on the forums, and happy landings to you all for 2022.
                                          Pete Simpson
                                          EGTC

Comment

Great post Captain R. So very excited for this plane to finally lift off in MSFS. Merry Christmas.
                                            Jeff Hendershot

Comment

It looks awesome!
                                              I noticed on the last dev update that the first item is weather and terrain API is in "under investigation" state for 2022, so I assume it will happen and is on their, ahem, radar (pun intended).
                                              Attached Files
                                              Oren Geva

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                                rsrandazzo commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Oren- I honestly don't track much of the public commentary from them as we are talking to them in real time and that conversation carries far more information that is pertinent to PMDG. The weather API is something we are all waiting on. Terrain API isn't required by PMDG as we use our own methodology that we find to be more reliable anway. - RSR

What would bring my glee alive?
                                              A DC6 installer,
                                              for P3D version five.
                                              Victor Green

Comment

• 19ab67
                                                19ab67 commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Couldn't agree more.
                                            Working...
                                            X