Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Economical USB tiller for the Boeing types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economical USB tiller for the Boeing types?

Hi guys

I presently manufacture Airbus style USB tillers (nose wheel steering device) for the flight sim community.

To decide whether to invest my time in a Boeing version I want to gauge how much interest there is in the Boeing simulation community for a durable yet economical tiller device. As you know unlike Airbus, Boeing tillers vary greatly between types so I want to know which type would be in the most demand.

Your input are much appreciated!

Cheers and beers

Nobby (Proud owner of PMDG 737 NGXu)

Ps Moderators - although this post isn't intended to be an advertisement in anyway, If it is in your opinion I completely accept deletion of this post.
    Nobby Fukui
    Cat3Design.com

I've been looking for one, but haven't been able to find one. Right now, I'm stuck using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Personally, I'd want one for the 747.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

737 or 777 for me. Logitech 3d pro is what I use and it does the job
      Alex Kulak
      PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

I'm using a twenty-buck cheap Thrustmaster USB Joystick for tiller. Assign the x-axis (roll) and it's all I need. Don't have a home cockpit so I'm not trying to recreate the look and feel of controls to that level of fidelity.
        Dan Downs KCRP
        i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Count me in for a Boeing Tiller. I'd be first to buy one. Please make one! Let us know when it comes out?
          Paul Gugliotta

Comment

737 for me too, I'll be your customer.
            Sergio Naiberg

Comment

I believe the 747/757/767/777/787 all have about the same tiller so it would be logical to go for one of those styles.

The 707/727/737, whilst being the most popular Boeing model, got a tiller which is quite different from the other types. However I'd still be interested primarity in the 737 one. Naturally

Comment

I'm sure there would be a good market for that. I'm more on the same lines as ddowns. I'm not too particular in having an actual replica of a tiller. I'd be most happy with a smallish rotary knob that springs back to center position. I'd normally would be OK with a joystick except they take up too much space, and the cheap ones tend to exhibit a lot of issues after extended usage (like it no longer springing back to the center exactly). I liked the rocker lever on my thrustmaster hotas when I had it though.
                Kevin Woo

Comment

Would love to have a tiller for the 777, that would complete my setup, as I'm one of those that use rudder for tiller as well. But yeah, it has a lot in common with the 747, another PMDG product, so it would make great sense to create such a tiller. Hopefully it'll have some sort of force feedback so you don't turn too easily. Would choose a 777 tiller over a 737 tiller.
                  Anton Vind
                  CPU: i9-9900K, GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER, RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz, Drives: 2 TB SSD

Comment

Thanks for your comments. The current model (A320) has good restoring force with a travel range of +/-75°. I know the 737 tiller has +/-90° range but that's mechanically difficult to replicate at the moment limited by the internal design. Are the other Boeing tillers also have the same rotation range or slightly less?

Personally I found it useful to have a dedicated tiller device especially going into a tight corner parking spot or making accurate lineup for takeoff. If anyone is curious take a look at the YouTube live I did yesterday (just skip to the ground ops bits).
                    Last edited by Cat3Design; 21Sep2021, 02:12.
                    Nobby Fukui
                    Cat3Design.com

Comment

I would be quite interested in a tiller for my Boeings.
                      Victor Green

Comment

Originally posted by Cat3Design View Post
                        Thanks for your comments. The current model (A320) has good restoring force with a travel range of +/-75°. I know the 737 tiller has +/-90° range but that's mechanically difficult to replicate at the moment limited by the internal design. Are the other Boeing tillers also have the same rotation range or slightly less?
                        I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that slight difference. Even 75 degrees is still significantly better than the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro that might be lucky to get 15 degrees.
                        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_28 View Post
                          I'm sure there would be a good market for that. I'm more on the same lines as ddowns. I'm not too particular in having an actual replica of a tiller. I'd be most happy with a smallish rotary knob that springs back to center position..
                          yeah like an old atari paddle controller. something that could fit on the desk unobtrusively.

Mike Teague - p3dv5.1 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B772 B77L B77W B744 B748

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
                            I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that slight difference. Even 75 degrees is still significantly better than the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro that might be lucky to get 15 degrees.
                            I'd be careful with statements like that, if you market something as a "737 (like) tiller" you can be sure there will be negative feedback and ratings coming if it doesn't have the same travel range.
                            It would indeed be the wiser decision to go for another Boeing model initially if those have less range.

Unfortunately I can't give any good advice on the other models travel range, but I'll surely keep an eye out on how things develop here. At the pricepoint of your current A320 tiller I'd definitely be in for a purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post
                              I'd be careful with statements like that, if you market something as a "737 (like) tiller" you can be sure there will be negative feedback and ratings coming if it doesn't have the same travel range.
                              Right, I can't speak for other people, which is why I said I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that slight difference. Though one question, is there a way to implement a hat switch on it somehow. With the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, there's one on top, so when I turn using the tiller, I can use it to change my viewpoint to look in the direction I need to look.
                              Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Right, I can't speak for other people, which is why I said I personally wouldn't be too concerned about that slight difference. Though one question, is there a way to implement a hat switch on it somehow. With the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, there's one on top, so when I turn using the tiller, I can use it to change my viewpoint to look in the direction I need to look.
                                My A320 "Tiller Plus" editions do have a 4 way view switch built into them. I am thinking of equipping similar option for the Boeing edition. Also a single push button located at an inconspicuous locatiion to allow rudder check without moving the nose wheel (As you'd know in RL, at least in the 737/777 you hold the tiller firmly as you move the rudder pedal) - essentially serves as the PEDAL DISCON button in the airbus.

Seeing that 737 has a different handle style compared to the other Boeing variants, perhaps I could prepare two Boeing editions - with a disclaimer that they only allows +/-75° travel.

Thanks for your opinions guys - will keep you posted.
                                Nobby Fukui
                                Cat3Design.com

Comment

I received some weeks ago my 737 tiller from Roland Schiller http://www.schillermetall.de/tiller.html
                                  Large piece of "heavy metal"
                                  Great experience

Regards
                                  Jo va Bra

Comment

Originally posted by Cat3Design View Post
                                    My A320 "Tiller Plus" editions do have a 4 way view switch built into them. I am thinking of equipping similar option for the Boeing edition. Also a single push button located at an inconspicuous locatiion to allow rudder check without moving the nose wheel (As you'd know in RL, at least in the 737/777 you hold the tiller firmly as you move the rudder pedal) - essentially serves as the PEDAL DISCON button in the airbus.

Seeing that 737 has a different handle style compared to the other Boeing variants, perhaps I could prepare two Boeing editions - with a disclaimer that they only allows +/-75° travel.
                                    Excellent. Definitely one I would purchase if you do go ahead with it.
                                    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Friend Kevin; Just wondering, do you use the elevator or roll axis for tiller or the twist grip. I'm considering ordering this one for an economical tiller since I don't presently have a joy stick and could use one for other purposes as well as a tiller. Years ago I had a Logitech joy stick exactly like this one but it was wireless. They evidently don't make the wireless anymore but it sure was nice to have one less wire going across your desk.
                                      Victor Green

Comment

Originally posted by Lanica View Post
                                        Friend Kevin; Just wondering, do you use the elevator or roll axis for tiller or the twist grip. I'm considering ordering this one for an economical tiller since I don't presently have a joy stick and could use one for other purposes as well as a tiller. Years ago I had a Logitech joy stick exactly like this one but it was wireless. They evidently don't make the wireless anymore but it sure was nice to have one less wire going across your desk.
                                        I've been using the twist grip rudder for it. I couldn't get used to using the aileron axis for steering on the ground, especially when I've already tried to steer a 737-200 simulator with a tiller.
                                        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Lanica
                                          Lanica commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          I see. I've placed my old CH Throttle quad I don't use anymore except for extra buttons on the left side of my Alpha and programed an axis for a tiller axis. Kind of clumsy so I just went back to using rudder pedals. Think I'll order the Logitech just for a cheap tiller as well as a joy stick for other planes that a yoke is not very realistic for. Thanks for the reply.

I’m currently using the Cat3Design Airbus Tiller with the hat switch option and I’m enjoying it immensely. It works great on the PMDG 737, 747 and 777. I like it so much that I decided to purchase the v2 model and sale my original to a friend. Nobby provides great support and makes a great product. Highly recommend.
                                        Last edited by Wise87; 23Sep2021, 15:11.
                                        Dan Moore

Comment

• thibodba57
                                          thibodba57 commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          What’s see the physical dimensions? I looked but couldn’t find any. I’d love to add one to my sim. Not an AB guy at all, but was thinking of getting the V2.

I would absolutely love a Boeing version, been looking for one for a good price for a while now, really hope you go through with it!
                                        Thomas M. Arbel

Comment

• Cat3Design
                                          Cat3Design commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Thanks for your support. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

thibodba57

160mmx160mm is the base dimensions. I'll add the info to the description.
                                        Nobby Fukui
                                        Cat3Design.com

Comment

I would definitely be interested in a tiller for the B-737, B-747, and B-777.

Ken Hand
                                          Ken Hand

Comment

I didn't even know you could buy these - I'm not too fussed on it being 100% real to the aircraft so I've just bought the Airbus v2.

Are you based in Australia? I was surprised once I put my address in I got a low cost Australia post option for delivery. I was prepared to pay $140 FedEx shipping. Nice!
                                            Justin Thomas

Comment

Development update

Hi guys, thanks to all those who are patiently waiting for their units. The necessary parts have now arrived at workshop and I have resumed shipping this week.

Just a very quick update on the Boeing tiller - after taking onboard feedback from the community I have decided to proceed with the "Generic" Boeing tiller. The reasoning behind this is the fact the current A320 tiller can be used for the 737 if used vertically, and all other modern Boeing types (except the 787) share the common "lever and a knob" style tiller handle.

No promises yet, but I hope to make the Boeing tiller available well by Christmas. Here's a quick render of the current prototypes - Thanks for your support.

Justin - Yes I am based in Australia. Enjoy the "mates rates" shipping
                                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                                              Nobby Fukui
                                              Cat3Design.com

Comment

• vadriver
                                                vadriver commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Nobby

Can I save on shipping period .... to 2257.

Amazing, can't wait!
                                              Anton Vind

Comment

Looking good there, Nobby. Just wondering where you would be positioning a hat switch for the views.
                                                Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                                  Swaluver88 commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  do you know the dimensions you are currently designing on? also the kind of material itll be made out of.

• Captain Kevin
                                                  Captain Kevin commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Vadriver, not all of us are TIR users.

• Cat3Design
                                                  Cat3Design commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Swaluver88 - the base dimensions 160mmx160mm - plastic mostly with steel parts for load bearing bits. The handle will be of aluminum.

I think the "lever" for the tiller in the actual 747/777 is a bit shorter, and the handle it self is a little bigger though:

Anton Vind

Comment

• Anton Vind
                                                  Anton Vind commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Unfortunately not, think that is hard to find.

• Cat3Design
                                                  Cat3Design commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  I've done my best estimating the length by using various photos available online - It may be slightly off but I'd say for the purpose of the "generic Boeing" tiller, I'm entitled to a little bit of artistic license

• Anton Vind
                                                  Anton Vind commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Yeah I agree with that idea!

What kind of tensioning and centering system are you using? Do we have the option to request a dampened return to center mechanism? I.E, if I let go of the tiller (if spring-driven will snap back to the center and that is undesirable.) Any way to achieve a smooth but heavy feel?
                                                Angelo Cosma

Comment

• Cat3Design
                                                  Cat3Design commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  That would be amazing to have - As far as Boeing goes I've only flown 738s in real life but the force need to turn the tiller is much greater than the A320 tiller. I think there is a 737 USB tiller on the market that does that.

My tiller will be made of steel reinforced plastic mechanical core (as featured in the A320 edition), and the actual handle will be made of powder coated lasercut aluminium. The handhold will be made of plastic with bearings for smooth rotation.

The centering mechanism is by means of two springs and the 'claws' - refer to my site for internal pics.
                                              Working...
                                              X