Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

PMDG Box Versions for MSFS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PMDG Box Versions for MSFS

    Hi there,

    I was just wondering will there be a box version for each product PMDG release for MSFS or are box versions a thing of the past?

    Thomas Wills

    #2
    There are still box versions of software these days? Most computers that are built now don't even have a DVD drive anymore, you'd have to get an external one.
    Captain Kevin

    Kevin Yang

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
      There are still box versions of software these days? Most computers that are built now don't even have a DVD drive anymore, you'd have to get an external one.
      But there are USB-drives and everybody have USB-ports. They should be cheap enough to replace DVDs. I'm surprised there are not boxed software with that option.

      Cheers,
      Mats Johansson [MSFS: DoggishHail2851], PMDG Flight Test, ESSA | P3D v5.1/MSFS | Current PC setup

      Comment


      • DDowns
        DDowns commented
        Editing a comment
        My original Windows 10 was distributed on a USB drive.

      • mats0916
        mats0916 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah! There you go.

      #4
      Originally posted by mats0916 View Post
      But there are USB-drives and everybody have USB-ports. They should be cheap enough to replace DVDs. I'm surprised there are not boxed software with that option.
      I can't say I've seen software come on USB drives before. The other thing is there have been updates for PMDG aircraft that required a completely new installer. With the present system, you just go into your order history and download the new installer. How do you do that with a boxed version.
      Captain Kevin

      Kevin Yang

      Comment


        #5
        Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
        I can't say I've seen software come on USB drives before. The other thing is there have been updates for PMDG aircraft that required a completely new installer. With the present system, you just go into your order history and download the new installer. How do you do that with a boxed version.
        Back on FSX I had the boxed version of the 777. When there was a big update a few years ago there was a note in operations center on how to do it. I had to go to Aerosoft website, enter in my product key, and then it gave me the download for the new installer. It wasn't to hard, but I don't really understand now why anyone would want a boxed version other than the fact it comes with printed manual (like 80-90 pages long). I just bought the boxed because I was going to buy the 777 and I saw it in a store so sort of impulse bought it. I probably still have it somewhere in a drawer.
        Zac Aghdaei👨‍✈️
        PMDG Captain since 2015

        Comment


          #6
          Well the coding was done with a more thinking ahead back in the days before online downloads.

          And you got what you bought without expecting updates after updates after updates... Lol

          Eventually there was a new boxed version that you could buy if you wanted to.

          Oh those were the days... 😂
          Mats Johansson [MSFS: DoggishHail2851], PMDG Flight Test, ESSA | P3D v5.1/MSFS | Current PC setup

          Comment


            #7
            I am glad to see it all go. It was endless clutter in my room when I was a teenager. I didn't have enough shelf space on my desk for all the game boxes. When you have a multitude of King's Quest, Quest for Glory, and Space Quest games, no computer desk was sufficient! The modern delivery methods are much cleaner, environmentally friendly, and just... easier to deal with.
            Regards,

            Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by CaptainAghdaei View Post

              Back on FSX I had the boxed version of the 777. When there was a big update a few years ago there was a note in operations center on how to do it. I had to go to Aerosoft website, enter in my product key, and then it gave me the download for the new installer. It wasn't to hard, but I don't really understand now why anyone would want a boxed version other than the fact it comes with printed manual (like 80-90 pages long). I just bought the boxed because I was going to buy the 777 and I saw it in a store so sort of impulse bought it. I probably still have it somewhere in a drawer.
              For instance because it's nice to have something in your hands, rather than just virtual. It just gives you that feeling of actually owning something.

              Comment


              • Ephedrin
                Ephedrin commented
                Editing a comment
                And 100.000 years from now anthropologists will dig out what they will find to be an ancient village and will think, funny reflecting spinning tops did children have to play back then. But why so many of them?

              • Emi
                Emi commented
                Editing a comment
                Michael, that's indeed part of why one might like a DVD. You'll have a hard time selling a downloadversion due to EULAs and what not, but you can simply sell a DVD. And thanks to European law the developers can do nothing about it with their EULAs and have to grant the new user all rights the previous one had (of course provided he uninstalled it). Since most DVDs are sold through european resellers the european law will apply to them.
                That's a big plus in my eyes.

              • SpeedBird376
                SpeedBird376 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is the exact reason why i will always buy a boxed version of a product. Also i find it more reliable to own a boxed version as you cant always guarantee a internet connection.

              #9
              Who's to say a box has to include a physical DVD/BlueRay disc?

              It could also include just the registration details/serial number and a link to download, and maybe some goodies.

              I think it's a great way to market a product to a larger audience through the exposure the box gets in stores. Now P3D is pretty much a niche product but MSFS is for the masses, and I'm sure there are quite a few would-be customers who haven't heard of PMDG. So... bring it on.

              Comment


                #10
                Originally posted by CaptainAghdaei View Post
                Back on FSX I had the boxed version of the 777. When there was a big update a few years ago there was a note in operations center on how to do it. I had to go to Aerosoft website, enter in my product key, and then it gave me the download for the new installer.
                Which would render the boxed version completely useless at that point. Hypothetically, if somebody were to buy a boxed version now, they'd install it, not knowing any better, and then have to go download a new installer anyway. Now you're just wasting time installing things twice.
                Originally posted by CaptainAghdaei View Post
                It wasn't to hard, but I don't really understand now why anyone would want a boxed version other than the fact it comes with printed manual (like 80-90 pages long).
                They still come with manuals?
                Originally posted by StachM View Post
                Who's to say a box has to include a physical DVD/BlueRay disc?

                It could also include just the registration details/serial number and a link to download, and maybe some goodies.
                I could see this going wrong in many ways. People mistyping the link and serial numbers, for one. Maybe what looks like an I or an O is really a 1 or a 0, or vice versa. Even if you put in a warning to warn people, people don't read.
                Captain Kevin

                Kevin Yang

                Comment


                • CaptainAghdaei
                  CaptainAghdaei commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m not saying I’d buy the boxed version again, I’m just pointing out the features. You asked how they update it, I told you. Yes it’s inconvenient but if you're someone like Emi pointed out who wants the disk and printed manual from PMDG, you go through the hassle. The manuals obviously still come in digital form but it is nice to have the printed one as a collectors edition. I don’t know how they’re doing it now but when I bought my disk in I think 2015/16 it came with a printed manual and full set of digital manuals like the current ones come with.

                • Captain Kevin
                  Captain Kevin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right, I'm not disputing what you said, I'm just pointing out the potential issue if somebody were to buy one now.

                • CaptainAghdaei
                  CaptainAghdaei commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotcha. In which case, I agree lol

                #11
                Originally posted by SpeedBird376 View Post
                Hi there,
                I was just wondering will there be a box version for each product PMDG release for MSFS or are box versions a thing of the past?

                Thomas Wills
                Hi Thomas,
                Good question and I can’t answer for PMDG.

                I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but I’m curious as to why you’ve chosen a certain airline’s B744 image as your Avatar and “SpeedBird376” as your User profile name. I think you will find the two don’t go together in the real world, so if you would like to use a more realistic Avatar with “Speedbird376”, how about swapping it for the front part of this PMDG B744 instead?:- 😁 LOL
                911FD50D-25C4-4999-833E-5900967BA421.png
                Michael Codd

                Comment


                  #12
                  Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
                  I could see this going wrong in many ways. People mistyping the link and serial numbers, for one. Maybe what looks like an I or an O is really a 1 or a 0, or vice versa. Even if you put in a warning to warn people, people don't read.
                  This is how some pieces of software are sold these days, take Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop Elements as an example. Just a card with a code on it that gets activated once you buy it. Or any type of credit for a service.

                  Comment


                  • Ephedrin
                    Ephedrin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There‘s „normally“ no i or o in a serial code, it‘s „normally“ always a one or zero. Exceptions prove the rule lol

                  • Captain Kevin
                    Captain Kevin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Marc, whether that's true or not, I have no way of proving. The main point being people can mistype those, and even with a warning, people don't read, so you end up with a flood of support inquiries. Don't ask me how I know this.

                  #13
                  Originally posted by StachM View Post
                  This is how some pieces of software are sold these days, take Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop Elements as an example. Just a card with a code on it that gets activated once you buy it. Or any type of credit for a service.
                  I see. I don't go to the store, so I don't know what they sell there. All I know is if you buy it online, all you have to do is copy and paste the code rather than manually type it in.
                  Captain Kevin

                  Kevin Yang

                  Comment


                    #14
                    Originally posted by Michael Codd View Post

                    Hi Thomas,
                    Good question and I can’t answer for PMDG.

                    I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but I’m curious as to why you’ve chosen a certain airline’s B744 image as your Avatar and “SpeedBird376” as your User profile name. I think you will find the two don’t go together in the real world, so if you would like to use a more realistic Avatar with “Speedbird376”, how about swapping it for the front part of this PMDG B744 instead?:- 😁 LOL
                    911FD50D-25C4-4999-833E-5900967BA421.png
                    Haha, to be honest i am a huge 747 lover so any photo of it would do, but you are right. doesn't make sense lol.. May consider changing it haha

                    Comment


                      #15
                      My opinion is that I would rather have most of PMDG’s resources (money and time) go to developing new aircraft and maintaining/updating previous aircraft.

                      Efforts toward creating, updating, correcting, customer service needs, marketing and distribution of offline materials simply doesn’t have a place for such niche products. I still have a big ‘ole stack of aircraft boxes/cds for FS2002/4 that I would gladly have preferred to download.

                      The console market for MSFS will not be getting versions of the study-level aircraft as far as I know, so that’s a moot point as far as “store/market exposure”.

                      I also don’t trust pre-filled USB drives to be clean, I barely use “blank” ones anymore, usually sticking to the handful I got years ago.

                      Also the universe gives you a lesson later in life that having a less clutter and a freer lifestyle is a joy compared to managing piles of DVD or other junk.

                      Cloud/Download/Offline stuff is a miracle that keeps on giving. In fact when/if I ever find an affordable and well maintained virtual PC and high speed internet, I’ll move the whole kit and kaboodle over there and just access it from whatever device fits my fancy.

                      Live light and free…
                      Fred Douglas

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X