Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[03JUL21] PMDG DC-6 for MSFS Update to Build 2.00.0028 released via Operations Center

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[03JUL21] PMDG DC-6 for MSFS Update to Build 2.00.0028 released via Operations Center

Captains,

Just in time for your weekend flying, we have issued a new update for the PMDG DC-6 for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This update, like the previous updates, is available to you via the PMDG Operations Center.

This update is focused on some improvements to performance and enhancements in usability based upon feedback from users now that the product is in such wide operation.

The Highlights:
    • MSFS Time Acceleration Rate Awareness and Control: The sim's acceleration rate is now displayed on the tablet's Options page. This is really useful since MSFS doesn't display that information for you anyplace that is actually useful. You can immediately go to 1:1 time with the tablet button, too, which is very useful.
    • Tablet click spot tweaks: We did some cleanup to help make the tablet click-spots a bit easier to find with the mouse.
    • Added hardware controls for beacon/strobes/nav (see notes below)
    • Performance improvements when realistic engine damage mode is selected ON.
    • Automated Flight Engineer tablet page completely overhauled to make it easier to use and easier to read in flight.
    • More LOD model refinements
    • Cabin model refinements

Change Log Items for this build:
    0010048: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures/Appearance] Removal of Small Polygon artifact on glareshield in VC (vscimone)
    0010049: [Virtual Cockpit - Animation/Functionality/Click-Spots] Layout on AFE page needs to be less cramped. (hvanrensburg)
    0009992: [Sounds] Allow hardware control of position and beacon lights (cbpowell)
    0010036: [External Model - Geometry] LOD behavior using Drone camera (jbrown)
    0010032: [External Model - Geometry] Shorten texture path names to help get under the 260 character limit on paths for users with abusively long path-names (jbrown)
    0010043: [Virtual Cockpit - Animation/Functionality/Click-Spots] Add Simulation Rate indicator and reset button to Options page in tablet. (hvanrensburg)
    0010044: [Systems Behavior/Functionality] Display sim rate and allow user to immediately trigger 1:1 time (cbpowell)
    0009962: [Documentation] Addition to Introduction document. (hvanrensburg)
    0010038: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures/Appearance] Sections of cockpit ceiling look flat in VR. (vscimone)
    0010039: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures/Appearance] Entry light housing in back room looks flat in VR (vscimone)
    0010037: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures/Appearance] Padding on walls and ceiling still looks flat (vscimone)

DANGER DANGER: Moving MSFS Can Cause You Major Headaches:
    We have been chasing our tails the past few weeks trying to determine why a handful of users are having problems running our installer, and problems installing liveries. We nailed this problem down after a tremendous amount of research and coordination with affected customers and discovered that some users have moved the installation location of MSFS using guidance provided by Microsoft themselves, along with an application moving tool. This tool does HORRIFIC things to the path names, and cause the total pathname for the installation to bump up on 200+ characters in length, which when combined with the pathing information for the DC-6 causes the entire path to exceed the 260 character limit which is native to Windows 10.

To try and improve customer experience, we found some places where we could shorten the path names in the DC-6 slightly, and that is reflected in this build, however: The process of using the MS guidance and tool to change the installation location of MSFS will push the user right up to the brink of the 260 character limit and there is very little else we can do to pare down the path names since most of them are taken up by the combination of the windows reposition tool and MSFS combined. For this reason, we strongly encourage users NOT to use the move-tool, but instead if you find it necessary to move the location of your MSFS install- we hope you will consider uninstalling and reinstalling the simulator, as this will lead to a better, more consistent outcome for your expansion products.

This problem is not unique to PMDG as it affects all developers in both aircraft and scenery. Short of coming up with single letter path names or using 8bit paths like us (really) old time computer users remember- there is just not much that can be done. If you have run into this problem and you need guidance, our support team is happy to help you resolve it the right way in order to ensure you have the most problem-free user experience possible- as that is our primary goal in this recommendation.

Okay- I think that covers it for this week. To all of our American customers, Happy Independence Day. To our UK friends: "ptphpthpthpthpthtphtphppthpthtp!"

We hope you all have many adventures flying the DC-6 this weekend. Don't be afraid to throw an image or two over here so that we can see how and where you are enjoying our airplane!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
    To our UK friends: "ptphpthpthpthpthtphtphppthpthtp!"
    Interesting.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• chasgoulding
      chasgoulding commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to think yourselves lucky we found Australia just in time so as not send all our criminals to the US and I can tell you that was a very long way away for us.

And I live on an island and tend not to go to the mainland as the sky might fall on my head.

• Lanica
      Lanica commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually Georgia was founded for criminals and debtors.

• ckyliu
      ckyliu commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1EbIOdAZE 🤣

Robert: thanks for this update. With your team's findings, the long path/filename limits confirm what I've suspected. I'm one of the users bitten by this issue. I updated fine to .0028 but still have issues with installing .ptp liveries.

I have some free time in the coming week and will probably bite the bullet and do a fresh MSFS install to a more sane path name on my D: drive. This will probably help me avoid issues with possible future PMDG releases
    Matt Neville

Comment

• rsrandazzo
      rsrandazzo commented
      Editing a comment
      Matt- Yeah- sorry, mate. We tried a number of things to see if we could make changes on our end to cure the issue, but it becomes unwieldy so quickly as to be dangerous. To be clear, there is no blame to be owned by either PMDG or Asobo. The fault here really lies with a complete failing of imagination on the part of whomever at MS made this "application moving tool." What it does to pathing is nothing short of ridiculous. With even a modicum of effort they could keep it to normal pathing norms and not infect their customer's machines with this mayhem... but... it is what it is. -RSR

Thanks for the stream of updates - I know it’s PMDG house style, but it’s very much appreciated.

Can you share any detail about “Performance improvements when realistic engine damage mode is selected ON”? There doesn’t seem to be anything about this in the changelog.
    Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Comment

• rsrandazzo
      rsrandazzo commented
      Editing a comment
      Alan- We made some changes to improve performance if you have realistic engine damage turned on. That is what it means. Not much to interpret, parse, intuit, graph or outline. - RSR

• Alan_A
      Alan_A commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. Will not parse (or otherwise intuit, graph or outline). Will just experience.

Thanks again!

Thanks Robert and team for making my retirement years much more interesting.
    Victor Green

Comment

MSFS Time Acceleration Rate Awareness and Control: The sim's acceleration rate is now displayed on the tablet's Options page. This is really useful since MSFS doesn't display that information for you anyplace that is actually useful. You can immediately go to 1:1 time with the tablet button, too, which is very useful

SUPER, thank you thank you thank you!!!
      St3ve Elder

Comment

• rsrandazzo
        rsrandazzo commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve- The MSFS platform has re-invigorated the love of simming for a number of us on the dev team. So ideas percolate out of our own simming experience and expectations- just like it does for you guys. The upshot is that since we are doing the coding for our products, we can open up the code and tinker along the lines of "I want it to also do...." It does make it kind of fun. - RSR

We have been chasing our tails the past few weeks trying to determine why a handful of users are having problems running our installer, and problems installing liveries. We nailed this problem down after a tremendous amount of research and coordination with affected customers and discovered that some users have moved the installation location of MSFS using guidance provided by Microsoft themselves, along with an application moving tool. This tool does HORRIFIC things to the path names, and cause the total pathname for the installation to bump up on 200+ characters in length, which when combined with the pathing information for the DC-6 causes the entire path to exceed the 260 character limit which is native to Windows 10.

Don't know if this solves the problem, but as reinstalling MSFS is not generally attractive, and I and many others have used the method called out by Manwith Noname in this thread with great success. This is of course for Steam MSFS installations, perhaps not addressing your concern at all, if so never mind but, but maybe for those on Steam...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/12504...4751701178244/
      St3ve Elder

Comment

Thanks for the update!
        Ken Robinson

Comment

Hey Robert, wasn't it a little overly sensitive on your part, to get so upset over a cup of tea in Boston of all things! If you were really nice to us we would let you put our queen on your Doller and it's value would go straight up by almost 50% 😜😁!!!! Despite all, no hard feelings, we still love you guys, Have a great holiday tomorrow.
          Last edited by rooster; 03Jul2021, 05:44.
          Malcolm "Rooster" Hancock

Comment

• Ephedrin
            Ephedrin commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a party after all, wasn‘t it? ^^

Originally posted by Sandhill View Post

Don't know if this solves the problem, but as reinstalling MSFS is not generally attractive, and I and many others have used the method called out by Manwith Noname in this thread with great success. This is of course for Steam MSFS installations, perhaps not addressing your concern at all, if so never mind but, but maybe for those on Steam...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/12504...4751701178244/
          Stever, the issue affect MSFS store user a we have seen. There was no reported issue from Steam users. This path is specific for Steam users of MSFS
          Chris Makris (Olympic260)
          PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Does this fix the landing lights issue??
            Doshi Kevin
            Computer Science graduate

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Doshi View Post
              Does this fix the landing lights issue??
              What landing light issue you are refering? We are not aware of a landing light issue.
              PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

What landing light issue you are refering? We are not aware of a landing light issue.
              Let me know if you are also experiencing the same issue.
              https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...bull-6b-livery
              Doshi Kevin

Comment

So, basically on few liveries like redbull, american cargo, etc landing lights don't turn on. Also if you zoom in closely the landing lights look strange like a white mask on them.
                Doshi Kevin

Comment

Ok, I just updated the version, I guess the issue is gone. Will let you know. Thank you
                  Doshi Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Doshi View Post

Let me know if you are also experiencing the same issue.
                    https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...bull-6b-livery
                    Not seeing this here at any of these liveries. Have not seen anyone reproting this as well
                    PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Regarding the long path names issue… at the beginning installing MSFS 2020 was an extremely tedious process that took like an entire day I’m sure no one wants to re-live that again if they don’t have to let alone the data usage.
                      I appreciate you for nailing down the issue which I too suspected was the culprit of my less than stellar experience with my first PMDG purchase.
                      If and when I decide to waste another day installing MSFS 2020 , atleast I’ll know the reason none of my previous uninstall and reinstalls of the DC-6 and Operation Center and clearing out the Windows registry did any good

Kevin McBrady

Comment

• Ephedrin
                        Ephedrin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In case you missed it: Asobo has reduced the download size to half, it has about 90GB now. Not sure how long the whole reinstall process takes now though, of course it also depends on your download speed.

Originally posted by Ebojager View Post
                      Regarding the long path names issue… at the beginning installing MSFS 2020 was an extremely tedious process that took like an entire day I’m sure no one wants to re-live that again if they don’t have to let alone the data usage.
                      I appreciate you for nailing down the issue which I too suspected was the culprit of my less than stellar experience with my first PMDG purchase.
                      If and when I decide to waste another day installing MSFS 2020 , atleast I’ll know the reason none of my previous uninstall and reinstalls of the DC-6 and Operation Center and clearing out the Windows registry did any good

Kevin McBrady
                      Kevin just a nore. MSFS2020 are not using anything to the registry. They do not touch it at all, I suspect this has to do for compatibility with XBOX, so nothing to do in the registry for MSFS2020 or any product.
                      PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Great about the simrate! Been pain in the ass since release, even the original flight sims used to show this info. I don't know if you can even view it in the devmode easily.

About the path length, what if your installer just created windows PATH variable? Wouldn't that get around the problem? I've seen many programs to use this getting around different fonts and lenghty folder routes.
                        Riku Tuhkanen

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

rsrandazzo will be the landinglights and Wing ligts fixed.?!

best Regards
                            This gallery has 2 photos.
                            Christian Urban

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Urban View Post
                              rsrandazzo will be the landinglights and Wing ligts fixed.?!

best Regards
                              This is not something we see here or reported by other users. Happens on all planes?
                              PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Thank you PMDG, and happy Fourth of July weekend to those in the U.S.!
                              Luis Linares
                              i9-6700K, GTX 2080Ti, 64GB DDR4

Comment

I think the MSFS community is in shock to see what actual quality looks like in the sim. Love seeing the updates!

Happy 4th if you celebrate! And happy Race day for F1 fans. #TeamRedBull
                                Gabriel Guzman- IAH "Never stop flying the plane."
                                My ANA 777 fleet project

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                  Swaluver88 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  and this is only the DC-6!

Does Ireland count as your U.K friends? ptphpthpthpthpthtphtphppthpthtp!"
                                Jude Bradley
                                System specs: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9-9900KF Gigabyte Z390, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM Prepar3D V5 X-Plane 11.50 Beta tester for MS2020
                                http://downloads.pmdg.com/forum/Signatures/PMDG_Banner_777_Pilot.jpg

Comment

This is not how I’d have expected to make a first post, being very new to PMDG with the recent release of the DC-6, but….

Robert: your comment about where you grew up, made me re-read it multiple times, as if I was seeing things. Only because I am currently visiting Concord at this moment, and right near Monument Square!

We just visited the National Park the other day to learn about the events at the North Bridge. I even took a photo of the grave you mentioned.
                                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                                  Last edited by JasonK; 03Jul2021, 18:03.
                                  Jason Kitch

Comment

Great update the AFE page looks much better! -RO
                                    Rolando Olmo

Comment

Thanks for the updates! looking for those improvements with engines realistic damage!
                                      Javier Rollón
                                      JRollon Planes

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGabe View Post
                                        I think the MSFS community is in shock to see what actual quality looks like in the sim. Love seeing the updates!

Happy 4th if you celebrate! And happy Race day for F1 fans. #TeamRedBull
                                        Go MAX! (Both the driver and the aircraft...😉)
                                        Patrick Bell, Sr. USA
                                        Home-built DFI LanPartyJr X58 MB, Intel i7-920 (OC'd to 3.8GHz), Triple-Channel Corsair 12 GB DDR3 3200 RAM, Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD, nVidia GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, MS WIN 7 64-bit Ultimate.
                                        P3D v4.5. PMDG products: ALL

Comment

A build 2.00.0028 hop in Iceland featuring Nordics update and ORBX BIKF and Icelandic mesh...
                                          Luis Linares
                                          i9-6700K, GTX 2080Ti, 64GB DDR4

Comment

Working...
                                          X