Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MSFS in-game store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSFS in-game store

Is it possible for the products developed by PMDG for MSFS to be sold in in-game store?
    HAO ZUO
    i9 9900K 5.0 | ROG-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING | Trident Z Royal c18 3600 8G *4 | Inter 760P 1TB M.2(NVMe) *2

Rob said its a definite possibility but will be months after the release of planes on pmdg.com
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

736279662 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great. It's very convenient to manage. I just don't know if I can use the NGXu-discount when I buy NG3 in the in-game store.

• rsrandazzo
      rsrandazzo commented
      Editing a comment
      Hao Zuo- If you qualified for the discount on the 737 for MSFS (thank you!) you will need to purchase that from us directly. The discount can only be applied through our store system. -RSR

Its clever strategy. Looking how Aerosoft had to do a few hotfixes after their CRJ release, and from afar it looked like a pain coordinating their hotfix releases with the MS store. They were obligated to release the hotfix from their own store at the same time it became available in the sim store. PMDG's strategy ensures them full freedom over this matter, and by the time they go into the ingame store, their product will be more mature, and so will hopefully the sim
    Sincerely,
    Andreas Stangenes

Comment

• Crabby
      Crabby commented
      Editing a comment
      That was almost assuredly NOT part of a strategy regarding release of updates. The crapola conspiracy theories that folks start. If you want to buy something from store A on sale, you have to buy from store A. You cannot go to Store B, unless Store B has a policy of cost matching, not the case of the Marketplace.

MSFS Marketplace is good for purchasing things that are not time-sensitive in terms of fixes. Like airports. If there is one airport that's messed up, surely you can fly from/to other ones. However, with aircraft and the current update cadence of products on the Marketplace, the Marketplace is the WORST place to buy aircraft. That comes from experience - I first started out purchasing things on the MP and then quickly had to readjust.

Jeremy Smirnov
    Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Comment

I just hope there is a way to transfer purchases from the PMDG Store to the MSFS Marketplace. So you can purchase it early, and then migrate to the MSFS Store version later to have the convenience of all your add-ons managed and updated in one place.

I think it can be done somehow. If the PMDG Store also gave you a redeem code for the MSFS Marketplace version for example. Or make it free in the Marketplace and having users use their existing license code to activate.
      Fahad Al Riyami
      PMDG 737NGX, 737NGXu, 747 (+ -8), 777 (+ -300ER). MSFS-exclusive, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo.

Comment

• rsrandazzo
        rsrandazzo commented
        Editing a comment
        Fahad- This is not possible, and won't be at any time in the future that we are aware of. - RSR

Originally posted by BostonJeremy77 View Post
      MSFS Marketplace is good for purchasing things that are not time-sensitive in terms of fixes. Like airports. If there is one airport that's messed up, surely you can fly from/to other ones. However, with aircraft and the current update cadence of products on the Marketplace, the Marketplace is the WORST place to buy aircraft. That comes from experience - I first started out purchasing things on the MP and then quickly had to readjust.

Jeremy Smirnov
      While I agree that there are issues with marketplace, it is a compromise many users are willing to accept for having their add-ons managed and updated in one place. It is better to have options, and I hope we get a marketplace release soon too.
      Faruk Eroglu

Comment

Originally posted by fahdriyami View Post
        I just hope there is a way to transfer purchases from the PMDG Store to the MSFS Marketplace. So you can purchase it early, and then migrate to the MSFS Store version later to have the convenience of all your add-ons managed and updated in one place.

I think it can be done somehow. If the PMDG Store also gave you a redeem code for the MSFS Marketplace version for example. Or make it free in the Marketplace and having users use their existing license code to activate.
        Even with the best intentions from PMDG, that is extremely unlikely to ever happen. Right now there is not a single company that can do that kind of transfer with the MSFS Marketplace and I don't see why MSFT would spend the time and resources to make that happen.
        Sean Mondout
        MSFS: Intel i7 9700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2600 6GB GDDR6, 250GB M.2 SSD (OS), 1TB M.2 SSD (FS)

Comment

• rsrandazzo
          rsrandazzo commented
          Editing a comment
          Sean- You are correct. It has nothing to do with intention or otherwise- there simply is no provision for it. - RSR

Originally posted by BiologicalNanobot View Post

While I agree that there are issues with marketplace, it is a compromise many users are willing to accept for having their add-ons managed and updated in one place. It is better to have options, and I hope we get a marketplace release soon too.
        If your vendor, PMDG for example, without fail sends you an email announcing an update which includes a clickable link to execute the update, the convenience factor of the MSFS Marketplace becomes less significant. I've updated the Just Flight Arrow bundle two or three times this week that way, no more effort than a Marketplace update. Yes, a ton of aircraft would be more conveniently updated through Marketplace at once, but I now have a vendor/buyer relationship with PMDG, they have a record of me and my purchase. Buying through Marketplace the seller has no relationship to you, and if you need to cry, they might not even recognize you as a buyer..
        I wonder also if MS does not take a cut of Marketplace cash?
        St3ve Elder

Comment

• joetst2
          joetst2 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Microsoft Store absolutely takes a percentage of the sale off the top (It might be in the 30% range from what I've heard and that's what most of the stores charge from what I understand). Buying direct puts more money in the developers pocket, where it should be in my opinion. Especially when it's a premium developer like PMDG.

Originally posted by Sandhill View Post
        If your vendor, PMDG for example, without fail sends you an email announcing an update which includes a clickable link to execute the update, the convenience factor of the MSFS Marketplace becomes less significant.
        But that's the thing. Do they? In the years I've owned PMDG products, the only time I've ever found out about an update was here on the forums. I suppose if one randomly opens up the Operations Center, it would also tell you, but then you also have the occasional update that gets so extensive that the Operations Center can't handle it, and then you have to go download a new installer anyway and re-install everything.
        I wonder also if MS does not take a cut of Marketplace cash?[/QUOTE]
        I'm pretty sure they do if you bought it from the Marketplace rather than from the developer.
        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Swaluver88
          Swaluver88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats a total of 40% revenue. That is ridiculous

• Sandhill
          Sandhill commented
          Editing a comment
          This is my first PMDG purchase and it is really disappointing to learn that email notices of updates are not a thing. Seems reasonably simple and inexpensive to do and sure is a great customer service. Perhaps I'll get some sympathy from support and chang e the world

• rsrandazzo
          rsrandazzo commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh dear... I wish it was only 40%. -RSR

Comming here purely on this topic I can say I'm waiting for it on the in-game store. You can throw pros and cons everywhere - the in-game store is where I want all my add-ons. Nuff said.
        Espen Schultz
        a casual simmer since the 90's

Comment

736279662 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have enough to log in 7-8 pages when I download, manage airplanes and airports. I just hope I can buy, download, update and manage them in one place

Originally posted by MacGoose View Post
        Comming here purely on this topic I can say I'm waiting for it on the in-game store. You can throw pros and cons everywhere - the in-game store is where I want all my add-ons. Nuff said.
        Please add your name to your signature
        Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

Alex Kulak
        PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

One thing you might not understand PMDG is that you can get steam gift cards and then if it's in the marketplace, you can spend the money on it. Since you stopped the gift cards in the store here, how can we give something to someone. Of course I understand it will be a while but that is one thing you might not have known about.
          Danny Secary

Comment

736279662 commented
            Editing a comment
            Gift card = Money, when you can't send the gift card, you can send the activation code or money

• Ephedrin
            Ephedrin commented
            Editing a comment
            The activation code is connected to your name. NEVER give it away. It‘s a license to use, you don‘t own anything here!

Regarding the marketplace… just to keep in mind: the price for the Boeings will exceed the DC6 by far.. and there is no proof of purchase when you buy anything from the marketplace, no receipt, no way to show that you bought the addon... one system error….
          Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
          Marc Eland
          GFO Beta

Comment

• Want2BFlyin
            Want2BFlyin commented
            Editing a comment
            That is not entirely true. Purchasing something from the marketplace in MSFS ties that purchase to the Microsoft account that is currently logged into the marketplace (at least that is the way that it should work, I have not really explored the marketplace all that much yet). If you have a system crash or decide to reformat your computer and need to reinstall everything, you would just need to log back in with the same Microsoft account and you will be able to install your marketplace purchases again.

With regard to PMDG, they may not have any record that you had purchased it from the marketplace, and that could potentially be problematic if you run into trouble with it. I imagine that it could be handled in a similar manner to what they do with PMDG products that are purchased through Aerosoft.

One of the biggest benefits (in my opinion) of the marketplace is that it provides users with a centralized place where all of their addons are available. If you ever find yourself needing to reinstall everything, there would just be one place that you would need to go to, instead of having to remember which online store you purchased each addon from and having to go to a bunch of different websites to re-download installers. To me, that process is the single most annoying thing to go through whenever I build a new computer. Having everything available to download and install (not to mention keep updated) from a single source within the simulator would be immensely helpful.

• Ephedrin
            Ephedrin commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I don‘t speak about OUR system. There have been reports in the MSFS forum that people purchased addons in the Marketplace and something went wrong ON THE GAME SIDE and it didn‘t appear as a download. And all they purchased from microsoft or steam were marketplace credits that were not connected to a special addon and they couldn‘t provide any proof. It went via steam in that case and then steam sent them to microsoft, ms support sent them to steam etc.

There are three things I personally do not like about the marketplace
          1. no keys, no emails, and an in game confirmation. Personally I have a word document with all my keys labeled all nice and neat and then I print them for a back up in case of a crash. This is really bugs me that I dont have any back trace when and how much I bought something for. I also do not like the in game confirmation as you can easily exit it out and if something goes south you have little to no proof you even bought it than a PayPal and or credit card statement
          2. Its all over the place. You really have to take a chance with what you buy. Sure there are a lot of great products but I have bought products that are straight p3d port overs for $15 where the pictures they posted showed astonishing different and awesome scenery photos. MS looks like it will approve anything. It reminded me why I lost respect for MS (not asobo) in the first place which brings me to
          3. MS REALLY TAKES A GOOD AMOUNT! I've read 4 articles and 2 threads and 1 comment that says MS takes anywhere from 20-40% of the revenue made off of a product. That means if its a $10 product theyre taking $2-$4 of that $10 they made. Lets make it a bigger number if its a $60 product theyre taking $12 to $24 per purchase of that product. I really don't support they take anything at all. We pay anywhere from $60-$120 to buy the sim then if you are a dev you have to not only develop you have also take a revenue hit if you sell on the marketplace. Adding in steam that I've heard and read they take anywhere from $10-15 which is way way lower that the Xbox version but still adds up. So you sell on both that combined you could lose a lot of money on a products as a developer selling on there unless you break even
          the marketplace is a great idea and addon to have everything centralized but there are certain things that ruin it and can be fixed. I can potentially see PMDG going into the marketplace when sales have slowed down tremendously for a certain product (if they do).

Disclaimer: I do not speak for pmdg, I am not a developer and get my information from reliable sources (but may not be accurate towards what PMDG sees), these are my opinions and thoughts
          Last edited by Swaluver88; 22Jun2021, 14:39.
          Alex Kulak
          PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post
            There are three things I personally do not like about the marketplace
            1. no keys, no emails, and an in game confirmation. Personally I have a word document with all my keys labeled all nice and neat and then I print them for a back up in case of a crash. This is really bugs me that I dont have any back trace when and how much I bought something for. I also do not like the in game confirmation as you can easily exit it out and if something goes south you have little to no proof you even bought it than a PayPal and or credit card statement
            2. Its all over the place. You really have to take a chance with what you buy. Sure there are a lot of great products but I have bought products that are straight p3d port overs for $15 where the pictures they posted showed astonishing different and awesome scenery photos. MS looks like it will approve anything. It reminded me why I lost respect for MS (not asobo) in the first place which brings me to
            3. MS REALLY TAKES A GOOD AMOUNT! I've read 4 articles and 2 threads and 1 comment that says MS takes anywhere from 20-40% of the revenue made off of a product. That means if its a $10 product theyre taking $2-$4 of that $10 they made. Lets make it a bigger number if its a $60 product theyre taking $12 to $24 per purchase of that product. I really don't support they take anything at all. We pay anywhere from $60-$120 to buy the sim then if you are a dev you have to not only develop you have also take a revenue hit if you sell on the marketplace. Adding in steam that I've heard and read they take anywhere from $10-15 which is way way lower that the Xbox version but still adds up. So you sell on both that combined you could lose a lot of money on a products as a developer selling on there unless you break even
            the marketplace is a great idea and addon to have everything centralized but there are certain things that ruin it and can be fixed. I can potentially see PMDG going into the marketplace when sales have slowed down tremendously for a certain product (if they do).

Disclaimer: I do not speak for pmdg, I am not a developer and get my information from reliable sources (but may not be accurate towards what PMDG sees), these are my opinions and thoughts
            At the same time, though, what Asobo has done with MSFS is absolutely incredible, and the upkeep of MSFS is a constant ongoing process, which requires money, alongside their constant updates that they plan for years. That $60 dollars that you spent won't mean much a few years in with the huge costs being spent on its development and upkeep. We are talking about hundreds of jobs, after all, compared to 8 at PMDG, I think? Of course, PMDG deserves whatever they're charging, and I think the DC-6 is very reasonably priced. What I am saying is that MSFS also deserves support over time as well, and that is what the marketplace is there to provide.
            Cesar Perez

Comment

Originally posted by Vicinian View Post

At the same time, though, what Asobo has done with MSFS is absolutely incredible, and the upkeep of MSFS is a constant ongoing process, which requires money, alongside their constant updates that they plan for years. That $60 dollars that you spent won't mean much a few years in with the huge costs being spent on its development and upkeep. We are talking about hundreds of jobs, after all, compared to 8 at PMDG, I think? Of course, PMDG deserves whatever they're charging, and I think the DC-6 is very reasonably priced. What I am saying is that MSFS also deserves support over time as well, and that is what the marketplace is there to provide.
              At most 5% is reasonable, ms is starting to act like EA where they're charging for everything now. If it wasn't for flightsim.to, avsim.net and other freeware websites. Everything would be charged for. All I see is the same as fsx/p3d addon developers selling from their websites so they don't have to worry about getting the revenue taken away by a multi billion dollar company (which im for) and freeware addon websites. Just dont agree with ms taking any money with how big of a corporation they are. But hey thats the reason the came back to the flight simulation genre because there was money to be made
              Alex Kulak
              PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• JasonK
                JasonK commented
                Editing a comment
                Help me understand something. Because they are a big multi billion company, are they supposed to continue producing content updates and adding features for free? I guess MS could try and charge an annual fee for updates to all users, and developers a fee for the SDK - but I get the feeling that wouldn't go over nearly as well in helping sustain the product, compared to running their store.

5% barely covers costs associated with bank/credit fees. Then there are costs with maintaining the infrastructure for the store to work at scale. Somehow they'd also need to recover some amount of money to pay for all the updates that have and continue to come out.

There are some smaller companies producing aircraft and scenery, that have opted to forgo any traditional storefront of their own (which has a cost), skip even offering on other storefronts like sim market, and just sell their product on the MSFS store. Just as some users may like the simplicity of purchasing all their add ons via the MSFS Store, it can also be a simple way to publish for some.

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post

At most 5% is reasonable, ms is starting to act like EA where they're charging for everything now. If it wasn't for flightsim.to, avsim.net and other freeware websites. Everything would be charged for. All I see is the same as fsx/p3d addon developers selling from their websites so they don't have to worry about getting the revenue taken away by a multi billion dollar company (which im for) and freeware addon websites. Just dont agree with ms taking any money with how big of a corporation they are. But hey thats the reason the came back to the flight simulation genre because there was money to be made
              Well, but that's exactly it, if there wasn't money to be made then we wouldn't have MSFS right now. And if no one bought from the Marketplace, then MSFS would be shut down the moment it starts losing them money. But yeah, 5-10% would be reasonable I think. All I am saying is that MSFS deserves support as well, and I hope Microsoft is paying Asobo well for their efforts.
              Cesar Perez

Comment

• Swaluver88
                Swaluver88 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just keep in the back of your mind that MS abandoned fsx so it could happen again. Doubful but could

• Vicinian
                Vicinian commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that's exactly the scenario that I'm hoping the marketplace is there to avoid.

Originally posted by fahdriyami View Post

That's like buying a quart of ice cream from Walmart and taking it and the receipt to Target and expecting and exchange or refund. Where do these business (or non-business ideas) come from today?
              Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
              I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

Comment

Folks,

Please allow me to add a bit of clarity here to this discussion, as it does seem that there is quite a bit of conjecture and opinion. We haven't talked too much about our plans for MSFS Marketplace simply because we have been focused on other tasks.

Will PMDG Products Appear in the Marketplace?:
                PMDG fully intends to have our products available in the MSFS Marketplace. A small developer like PMDG can gain a much wider market exposure through placement in the MSFS Marketplace, and thus we anticipate fully participating.

How long until this happens?:
                We have not yet decided. There are a few factors playing into this decision right now, and the decision is entirely analytical with the goal of ensuring a smooth customer experience above all other factors. We really only have a single concerning factor here, and that relates to our flexibility in updating the products that customers purchase. The normal update lifecycle for a PMDG product is that we release the product and then update it rapidly in response to service reports during the period following release. The rate of updates tends to start out high and the reduce over time because we are simulating a highly, highly complex piece of machinery, often times with very advanced systems and computational processes that sometimes do an effective job of masking problems until the software is employed on a wide array of customer installations. Thus, we tend to work in overdrive to tamp down any issues that appear initially, but the update rate slows dramatically the further you move out along the release timeline, as you would expect.

To facilitate this, we have long used our PMDG Operations Center application to distribute updates to customers. This tool allows us to employ a rapid update cycle to PMDG products that allows us to quickly identify, resolve, test and push fixes for problems in our aircraft in order to ensure a uniform, stable customer experience. This is the primary method for updating PMDG products and has proven to be reliable, quick and simple for the vast majority of PMDG customers.

Unfortunately, there are some technical reasons that prevent us from updating Marketplace originating installations. If we wish to push an update to customers, we can easily hand it to PMDG.com originating customers within minutes, but the update for Marketplace originating customers will take days-to-weeks depending upon the flow of bits through Microsoft's pipeline. This isn't some evil plot on the part of MSFS, it is simply an offshoot to how the Marketplace distribution mechanism works.

For this reason, we feel it is highly important to ensure that a product is stable and down to a low-rate of updates before we hand it to the marketplace, and this will be a driver in the decision to begin pushing any PMDG product to the Marketplace. The moment we feel stability is sufficient to allow us to absorb the longer lead-time required for Marketplace update cycles, we will put the product in Marketplace.

What is the Truth About Costs?:
                [NOTE 23JUN21: The information in this paragraph has changed since I was last updated- read the post below if it interests you...]

Placing a product in Marketplace is expensive. When an MSFS user purchases a product from Marketplace, Microsoft and sometimes Valve gets paid. For MSFS users who purchased MSFS via MS-Store, Microsoft will take a 30% share. For MSFS users who purchased MSFS via Steam, Valve will take 35% and then MS will take 30% of what remains (effective rate of 54% give-or-take.)

Before anyone howls too loudly: MSFS wasn't developed on a shoe-string budget, and it exists because Jorg Neuman was able to convince the corporate hive that it would make money. It is in all of our best interest if it makes money- and Jorg's team, in combination with Asobo have created an environment in which the potential market for products is so significantly larger than the old market that developers like PMDG can be quite healthy if we deliver quality products.

I am less enthusiastic about the value equation of Valve's contribution, but there is an old saying about "you cannot fight City Hall."

What About Pricing?:
                Pricing will be the same across PMDG.com and Marketplace. Product functionality will be the same across PMDG.com and Marketplace. In a perfect world, you should only notice a difference in the update process and the update cycle time- and if we have done our work properly- you may not even notice that lag.

Okay- so I didn't read Any of That: When Will DC-6 Be in Marketplace?:
                We cannot say at this time, as we haven't decided yet. It will depend upon our opinion product update stability.

There are many folks with many opinions about whether you should purchase from a developer directly or if it is better to purchase from the Marketplace store. To those of you waging argumentative battle with one another, I offer this:

Do what is best for you, as that is the correct solution for you.
                Robert S. Randazzo
                PMDG Simulations
                http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

736279662 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My doubts have been answered clearly!Thanks a lot !

• MacGoose
                  MacGoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great post! For statistical input I'll wait for the Marketplace. The real one, not Steam :-)

Folks-

I received some updated information this afternoon on the various cost structures and I think it is important to update the information to give you guys an idea what is taking place on the back-end of things.

My original numbers were based upon information/conversations that have changed since our last review of this data. Microsoft made changes to the fees they charge developers in order to put less strain on the sale of third party products through the steam channel. That is not an insignificant move, I should point out. When you hear me talking about how Jorg's team has been trying to build a simulation environment that embraces small developers, it is things like this that I am pointing to...

I have also been reminded that Valve has a "reducing scale" that gets triggered after certain revenue tiers are exceeded in sales within the MSFS channel. The initial tiers have been exceeded, so costs are reducing all across the steam channel, which is beneficial for everyone involved.

Net costs to developers like PMDG will have dropped from ~54% to ~36% a bit later in the summer. That is a big deal on our end and it puts costs for distribution within the margin of error for what we product and how we distribute.

Overall, PMDG very much wants to see Marketplace be profitable as this promotes continued growth and investment in the platform. To the extent that Microsoft is working to keep costs in line, I think the future looks quite promising.

Now I need to get back to getting the DC-6 stable so we can push her to Marketplace...

Robert S. Randazzo
                PMDG Simulations

Comment

• ktomais
                  ktomais commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great news for all.

Mr, Randazzo,

If I read correctly you have commented on DC-6 availability.

"When Will DC-6 Be in Marketplace?: We cannot say at this time, as we haven't decided yet. It will depend upon our opinion product update stability."

Could you please elaborate a bit with respect to Marketplace availability for Xbox users?

From an Xbox point of view, does that means it is technically fixed and PMDG is cautious on releasing it due to marketplace update mechanism nature or it just applies to PC version ?

Thank you

Henrique Coelho
                Itapevi, SP
                Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by Henrique View Post
                  Mr, Randazzo,

If I read correctly you have commented on DC-6 availability.

"When Will DC-6 Be in Marketplace?: We cannot say at this time, as we haven't decided yet. It will depend upon our opinion product update stability."

Could you please elaborate a bit with respect to Marketplace availability for Xbox users?

From an Xbox point of view, does that means it is technically fixed and PMDG is cautious on releasing it due to marketplace update mechanism nature or it just applies to PC version ?

Thank you

Henrique Coelho
                  Itapevi, SP
                  Brazil
                  The DC6 is int he MarketPlace for a long time now.

The XBOX release waits from Microsoft to fix some issues on the XBOX in order for it to be able to handle complex addons. When this will be done is up to Microsoft as we have no control over it. As soon as they fix the issues then will give them the green light to re enable the DC6 in the Xbox.
                  Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                  PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

The DC6 is int he MarketPlace for a long time now.

The XBOX release waits from Microsoft to fix some issues on the XBOX in order for it to be able to handle complex addons. When this will be done is up to Microsoft as we have no control over it. As soon as they fix the issues then will give them the green light to re enable the DC6 in the Xbox.
                    Understood. I'm aware of the issues. So Robert´s comment does not refer to his decision to hold availability to to marketplace update nature. It is still the technical issue from last year. Asobo did mention they were working on a workaround to this issue and it could be implemented in SU10 if testing proves successful. Let's see how it goes.

Other developers are removing WASM or simplifying things in order to run on Xbox. I do perfectly understand PMDG´s DNA. However, even a "DC-6 Lite" would be a must in Xbox.

Thank you Chris.

Henrique Coelho
                    Itapevi, SP
                    Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by Henrique View Post

Understood. I'm aware of the issues. So Robert´s comment does not refer to his decision to hold availability to to marketplace update nature. It is still the technical issue from last year. Asobo did mention they were working on a workaround to this issue and it could be implemented in SU10 if testing proves successful. Let's see how it goes.

Other developers are removing WASM or simplifying things in order to run on Xbox. I do perfectly understand PMDG´s DNA. However, even a "DC-6 Lite" would be a must in Xbox.

Thank you Chris.

Henrique Coelho
                      Itapevi, SP
                      Brazil
                      Robert comment on this thread is way before we released the DC6 in MarketPlace...

There would be no "lite" version for any our products just to run in the Xbox. This is not possible
                      Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                      PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Working...
                      X