Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[27MAY19] A bit of roadmap for you this weekend.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[27MAY19] A bit of roadmap for you this weekend.

Captains,

A few of us on the PMDG team have spent the past two weeks thoroughly absorbed in moving the DC-3 from Washington, DC to Duxford, England over the fabled Blue Spruce Route. It has been quite an adventure and when I have a few moments I will post some photos and thoughts about the journey thus far. The DC-3 is currently resting on the lawn at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and those of us involved in moving the airplane are alternately taking a bit of time off with family or (in the case of me an Kyle) dashing back to the office to spend a week working on GFO, NG3 and various other tasks that need doing before we return to fly the airplane in support of the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift.

The interesting thing about working as we do, it is possible to keep plugging progress on various topics even while we aren't physically behind the desk. It takes some getting used to- but if you work at it, it is more rewarding than being indoors all the time. During the down time between flights, and even during one phase of crew rest, we had some key planning meetings to map out a few details and work through technical issues that are pending in PMDG Global Flight Operations.

All in all- sort of amazing to be mapping out the things we are mapping out while out moving an airplane across the ocean.

So here is a bit of a road map to help you see where things are going in the near term. I am being very careful not to put marks on the calendar here because those never seem to hold for one reason or another. All of these things move a bit relative to one another- but this will give you a general idea what we are looking at:

PMDG 737NG3:
    The PMDG 737NG3 Base Package for Prepar3D v4.5 is being prepared for the initial push into testing. I'm not quite ready to say that the major development push is completed, as we are still sifting through the 777 and 747 technology and finding things that we can improve and add. The amount of stuff that we have created in the eight years since the NGX release is just astounding- and moving all of it into the NG3 has been a ton of fun developmentally. We are bringing you new fluid and thermal models for pneumatic, hydraulic, pressurization, engine oil and fuel systems. Dramatically improved accuracy on the electrical system along with greater complexity in all of the aircraft systems. The autoflight system has been improved significantly, and will get another round of improvements once we finish rebuilding our core LNAV logic, but that will take place sometime after the initial product release as we have discussed earlier.

We have a full fledged EFB in this build now, along with a ton of other goodies we haven't shared yet... Suffice to say this is definitely a decade of improvement over the older NGX and we are really looking forward to pushing her out of the hangar for you to work with.

We are going to keep the testing team muzzled initially when we push this product to them, mostly because they will be seeing some features that haven't been debuted in any PMDG product to date and we want to keep them under wraps until we are ready for The Big Reveal...

I'm very much looking forward to getting this into beta testing.

PMDG Global Flight Operations:
    We spent a day weathered-in up at Goose Bay, Canada- and that gave us an afternoon to hold a very productive team discussion to finish mapping out some technical hurdles on a very very cool feature set that has never been seen before in simming. (No, i won't tell you yet... We would rather show you once we have it working as desired...) We also mapped out how we are going to bring Global Flight Operations online for users- which is something that we have been fretting a bit because we want to be sure to ramp up the server capacity appropriately to handle user load without creating any issues for users accidentally.

Our plan currently is to conduct a staged release, beginning shortly after our new shopping cart comes online, with an initial tranche of users followed by phased growth in the user community at least for the first couple of weeks to make sure we have a good idea that things will be smooth for everyone involved. We will give you a bit more information on how you can participate in this process once we are prepared to actually open the doors to the first group of users. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

PMDG eCommerce Overhaul:
    The past six months have seen a huge amount of effort going into replacing our existing eCommerce system with a modern, robust design that will serve us for the decades ahead. The shopping cart currently in use at PMDG has been with us since 2004 and it very much needs to be replaced with modern technology. This is a very expensive endeavor primarily because we have insisted that all user order history and data be moved forward into the new shopping cart in order to keep your account management relationship with PMDG completely seamless and in one place.

We are hoping to have the new system online in the next few weeks, and while we anticipate a slight service disruption during the final stage of the transition- it should be mostly painless for everyone involved.

I will start saying this now- just because it is important- but when the new shopping cart system comes online, you will wind up being forced to generate a new password the first time you attempt to log in. We are doing this because it is best for the security of customer data and because our new system will have much higher standards for security than the old system- so we want to leverage as much of that new capability as possible.

Next Updates for 747 and 777:
    There have been quite a few questions on when to expect the next round of updates for the 747 and 777 product lines. Current guidance (always subject to change!) is that we will update both of these products in preparation for the release of PMDG Global Flight Operations. The 747 will be a largely technical release designed to install some changes required specifically for Global Flight Operations compatibility- but the 777 update will carry quite a bit of payload since we haven't published a new update for that product line since July.

Okay- i think that is about all I have for you this evening! I am going to go back to working on the first NG3 installer buildout... Shout if you need anything.

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Thankyou so much Robert for the very informative information and looking forward to all the updates and new things you have mentioned.
    Best Regards.
    Danny Z. Cebis

Comment

Thx a lot for the news.
      Seems P3D here I come once NG3 is released.
      Pawel Grochowski

Comment

I love the EFB option in the 737. I did not know it even existed in the 737. I was wondering if EFB and HUD’s are options on any Boeing in production or only on some models . If not, why is there no HUD on a 747-8 or 777 but it is on a 737 and 787.
        Paul Gugliotta
        United 257 heavy

Comment

GREAT NEWS Robert! Looking forward to GFO & the NG3. Good luck on your way back across the pond!
          Rob Felger

Comment

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
            I was wondering if EFB and HUD’s are options on any Boeing in production or only on some models . If not, why is there no HUD on a 747-8 or 777 but it is on a 737 and 787.
            As far as I'm aware, only the 737 and the 787 had the option for the HUD. I don't think the 747 or the 777 ever did. On the 787, the HUD is standard. On the 737, it's optional.
            Captain Kevin

Live streams of my flights here.
            Kevin Yang

Comment

Paul,

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the 747 and 777 don't have a reasonable place upon which to mount the HUD projection unit. But this is strictly a guess on my part. I have never seen an official explanation as to why they big boeings don't have the hud option.

Like most things, I'm sure if a customer shows up with enough money- it can be made to happen.
              Robert S. Randazzo
              PMDG Simulations

Comment

• Ausflight
                Ausflight commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s for sure if a customer comes up with enough money Robert they even put extra wings on them.😁

Robert,

as always thanks for your extensive habit to talk and tease about updates and new product... however whatever those new features for any PMDG addon will be, I honestly hope you‘ve eventually developped a new lighting system for your products. The „old“ way of using textures is very performance friendly and I think I‘m save in saying that eveyone appreciates the great smoothness of your addons, but the optical disadvantage compared to competitors‘ airplanes increase significantly. Obviously that‘s not meant in a bad way! Competition is great! And I somehow have a feeling that P3Dv5 is around the corner with a strong improvement in dynamic lighting and if that‘s the case then I bet PMDG has access already (I‘m just a dreamer ). Anyway, the 737 would certainly deserve some beauty work beside all the systems upgrade!

Looking forward to GFO gosh, I‘m excited!
              Marc Ehnle

Comment

Thanks for the Memorial Day Update Captain Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
                David M. Edwards: Founder, C.E.O., and Editor-In-Chief---> Aerospace Weekly (A.W.) https://www.aerospaceweekly.com

Comment

Thank you Robert! What about FSX version of NGX3?

Vladyslav Kostiukov

Comment

Robert, wasn't an update of Rainmaker for the 747 in the works a few months ago? Will it be in the next update? Thanks.

By the way, here is the link:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...=7697#post7697
                    Last edited by jgoggi; 28May2019, 10:33.
                    James Goggi

Comment

Thanks for updating us! Can‘t wait to See the NG3!
                      Regards from Cologne,
                      Tobi

Comment

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
                        I love the EFB option in the 737. I did not know it even existed in the 737.
                        EFB can mean an iPad or similar mounted beneath the side windows... As far as I'm aware there is no built-in option for the 737 as there is for the 777/787/747-8i.
                        Regards,
                        Marius

Comment

Originally posted by Endeavouring View Post
                          Thank you Robert! What about FSX version of NGX3?
                          PMDG has ceased development for FSX.
                          Marc Ehnle

Comment

Great news.

In regards to the NGX how are you going to handle that once the NG3 is released?

Out from the fact that it is getting "Old" makes me think that it could use some new modeling and benefit from some of the new technology going into the NG3, and i am curious to whether this will just a free update or a brand new purchase sometime in the future.

As much as i think the MAX is great, the NGX will still be very high on my list when choosing what to fly.

Good day
                            Frederik Pedersen

Comment

• Jviation
                              Jviation commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hello,
                              I speculate that we'll see both the NG and MAX being available to purchase, eventually; and the the "NG3" title encompasses both the MAX and NG series. Given the MAX 10 has yet to be fully built and the MAX 7 has yet to be delivered, I would think that PMDG would not have the sufficient information regarding the entire MAX family. Because of that, I'm assuming they're working on the NG currently, given the NGs have had drastic change from the time the NGX was released nearly a decade ago to now (scimitars, LED lights, etc); and because they can access information about the NG right now. Of course, none of this is confirmed, but it's what I personally think may happen.

Cheers ,
                              Jordan Davison

Has it been said if the NG3 is a MAX?
                            Sam Harridann

Comment

Originally posted by FlightCrewOnly View Post
                              Nothing has been said but I'm not sure why this is even a question. I mean, it's literally called NG3, Next Generation 3. No, it's not a MAX. That may come at a later date as an expansion or something like that.
                              Niklas Graefe

Comment

Is the cockpit geometry corrected for the NG3?
                                Klaus Schmitzer

Comment

I want to buy the NGX but sometimes I think that with the NG3 it would be a purchase of something obsolete and old
                                  Steven Silva

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                    Ephedrin commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    My personal advice would be wait for the NG3 now. The NGX‘ cockpit lighting looks awful in P3Dv4.

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                                  Captains,

A few of us on the PMDG team have spent the past two weeks thoroughly absorbed in moving the DC-3 from Washington, DC to Duxford, England over the fabled Blue Spruce Route. It has been quite an adventure and when I have a few moments I will post some photos and thoughts about the journey thus far. The DC-3 is currently resting on the lawn at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and those of us involved in moving the airplane are alternately taking a bit of time off with family or (in the case of me an Kyle) dashing back to the office to spend a week working on GFO, NG3 and various other tasks that need doing before we return to fly the airplane in support of the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift.

The interesting thing about working as we do, it is possible to keep plugging progress on various topics even while we aren't physically behind the desk. It takes some getting used to- but if you work at it, it is more rewarding than being indoors all the time. During the down time between flights, and even during one phase of crew rest, we had some key planning meetings to map out a few details and work through technical issues that are pending in PMDG Global Flight Operations.

All in all- sort of amazing to be mapping out the things we are mapping out while out moving an airplane across the ocean.

So here is a bit of a road map to help you see where things are going in the near term. I am being very careful not to put marks on the calendar here because those never seem to hold for one reason or another. All of these things move a bit relative to one another- but this will give you a general idea what we are looking at:

PMDG 737NG3:
                                  The PMDG 737NG3 Base Package for Prepar3D v4.5 is being prepared for the initial push into testing. I'm not quite ready to say that the major development push is completed, as we are still sifting through the 777 and 747 technology and finding things that we can improve and add. The amount of stuff that we have created in the eight years since the NGX release is just astounding- and moving all of it into the NG3 has been a ton of fun developmentally. We are bringing you new fluid and thermal models for pneumatic, hydraulic, pressurization, engine oil and fuel systems. Dramatically improved accuracy on the electrical system along with greater complexity in all of the aircraft systems. The autoflight system has been improved significantly, and will get another round of improvements once we finish rebuilding our core LNAV logic, but that will take place sometime after the initial product release as we have discussed earlier.

We have a full fledged EFB in this build now, along with a ton of other goodies we haven't shared yet... Suffice to say this is definitely a decade of improvement over the older NGX and we are really looking forward to pushing her out of the hangar for you to work with.

We are going to keep the testing team muzzled initially when we push this product to them, mostly because they will be seeing some features that haven't been debuted in any PMDG product to date and we want to keep them under wraps until we are ready for The Big Reveal...

I'm very much looking forward to getting this into beta testing.

PMDG Global Flight Operations:
                                  We spent a day weathered-in up at Goose Bay, Canada- and that gave us an afternoon to hold a very productive team discussion to finish mapping out some technical hurdles on a very very cool feature set that has never been seen before in simming. (No, i won't tell you yet... We would rather show you once we have it working as desired...) We also mapped out how we are going to bring Global Flight Operations online for users- which is something that we have been fretting a bit because we want to be sure to ramp up the server capacity appropriately to handle user load without creating any issues for users accidentally.

Our plan currently is to conduct a staged release, beginning shortly after our new shopping cart comes online, with an initial tranche of users followed by phased growth in the user community at least for the first couple of weeks to make sure we have a good idea that things will be smooth for everyone involved. We will give you a bit more information on how you can participate in this process once we are prepared to actually open the doors to the first group of users. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

PMDG eCommerce Overhaul:
                                  The past six months have seen a huge amount of effort going into replacing our existing eCommerce system with a modern, robust design that will serve us for the decades ahead. The shopping cart currently in use at PMDG has been with us since 2004 and it very much needs to be replaced with modern technology. This is a very expensive endeavor primarily because we have insisted that all user order history and data be moved forward into the new shopping cart in order to keep your account management relationship with PMDG completely seamless and in one place.

We are hoping to have the new system online in the next few weeks, and while we anticipate a slight service disruption during the final stage of the transition- it should be mostly painless for everyone involved.

I will start saying this now- just because it is important- but when the new shopping cart system comes online, you will wind up being forced to generate a new password the first time you attempt to log in. We are doing this because it is best for the security of customer data and because our new system will have much higher standards for security than the old system- so we want to leverage as much of that new capability as possible.

Next Updates for 747 and 777:
                                  There have been quite a few questions on when to expect the next round of updates for the 747 and 777 product lines. Current guidance (always subject to change!) is that we will update both of these products in preparation for the release of PMDG Global Flight Operations. The 747 will be a largely technical release designed to install some changes required specifically for Global Flight Operations compatibility- but the 777 update will carry quite a bit of payload since we haven't published a new update for that product line since July.

Okay- i think that is about all I have for you this evening! I am going to go back to working on the first NG3 installer buildout... Shout if you need anything.

Let's just say this is a lot more info that we have all been waiting for!
                                  Alex Kulak
                                  PMDG Studier and flyer
                                  Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

Nice news.
                                    Jose Luis

P3D v4 and XP11

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Silva View Post
                                      I want to buy the NGX but sometimes I think that with the NG3 it would be a purchase of something obsolete and old
                                      That's why I didn't bother with it, I'll just wait for the NG3.
                                      Captain Kevin

Live streams of my flights here.
                                      Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by FlightCrewOnly View Post
                                        It has not, but it makes sense that PMDG will release both the NGX and the Max 8, similar to what they did with the 747-400 and the -8. Maybe they release the NGX as a base package with the Max -8 as an addon to the base package later down the road. Just thinking out-loud here.
                                        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::

zachary kerr

Comment

I wonder, Robert et al., whether when the NG3 is released, you could go into some detail about the improvements to the hydraulics/electrics, thermal models etc. Perhaps in the intro manual? Obviously without giving trade secrets away, I am genuinely interested in the mechanics behind the creation of the sim. What I would really like is a 'Making Of' documentary, the like of which you find in DVD extra menus; that would, I admit, be asking too much.
                                          Flight Sim Guides YouTube Channel

Comment

wow thanks : can´t wait for the ng3 beta
                                            great news gents ¡¡¡¡
                                            Jorge H. Moya
                                            SKBO / Bogotá

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post

Let's just say this is a lot more info that we have all been waiting for!
                                              why would you quote him?
                                              Jordan Collins

Comment

Originally posted by fakeflyer737 View Post

why would you quote him?
                                                I was in a rush this morning
                                                Alex Kulak
                                                PMDG Studier and flyer
                                                Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

• Ausflight
                                                  Ausflight commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  I like that one😃.

• Swaluver88
                                                  Swaluver88 commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  It's a pretty valid one too

Originally posted by fakeflyer737 View Post

why would you quote him?
                                                Jordan,

I don't mind being quoted. It is when I'm so oft misquoted that I get nutty.

(Yes- i knew what you meant... i'm being funny. LOL)
                                                Robert S. Randazzo
                                                PMDG Simulations

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post

Jordan,

I don't mind being quoted. It is when I'm so oft misquoted that I get nutty.

(Yes- i knew what you meant... i'm being funny. LOL)
                                                  That's a new one "I get nutty"
                                                  Alex Kulak
                                                  PMDG Studier and flyer
                                                  Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post

That's a new one "I get nutty"
                                                    I won‘t do a phonetic translation into German and then a real one back to english... 🙈 no no better not 😇
                                                    Marc Ehnle

Comment

Working...
                                                    X