Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MSFS Settings Looking Forward to PMDG Releases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSFS Settings Looking Forward to PMDG Releases?

A bit off topic, but trying to improve my understanding of MSFS with a knowledgeable bunch of simmers. I am running a machine with 32GB RAM, GTX 1080, and i7 9700K CPU running off a M2 SSD. I have updated my OS to most recent versions and verified latest drivers. Sim is P3D V4.5.

I can load up any PMDG aircraft and fly any duration long haul flight real time without a hiccup (like LA to New Zealand real time flights) with a smooth experience all the way. Nice frame rates running Orbx LC and Vector, a bunch of add on airports, etc. Not a light setup.

That said, my experience with MSFS so far leaves a bit to be desired but I do want to get it sorted out. I am on a 43 monitor but I have set my MSFS to Windowed mode, 1920X1080, V-sync off, and most of the remaining settings at HIGH. My concern is that with these settings and what I think is a respectable (albeit not state of the art) hardware suite, the sim will crash after 20-30 minutes of flight duration. To me this suggests some memory limit, but I am not an expert on software.

Any suggestions out there from anyone who was having similar initial results? I can see staying with P3D for the indefinate future, but the eye candy is a draw once PMDG has the full line available for MSFS. But I can't make the transition if my flight time is 30 minutes or so with the stock 747-8F.

Thanks for any tips.
    Virtual Pilot Virtual Flying Virtual World
    Scott Robinson

Did you mess with your virtual memory in Windows ? are you running any type of Overclocking ?

Claude Desrosiers

Comment

Scott,

the sim will crash after 20-30 minutes of flight duration
      Do you possibly use the PMS GNS 530 mod? If you do this is a typical time frame where the previous version crashed the sim as soon as a certain airspace message popped up. There is a new version available that disables the warning.

If this is not the case then any information would be good, like possible event viewer errors (there aren't many unfortunately in MSFS). With your computer you should be able to run the sim smoothly with a mix of high and ultra settings.

Also there seem to be issues with recent NVIDIA graphic card drivers. with a 1080 you can try to use older drivers from winter. I personally am still using 457.30 as it gives me a perfectly smooth sim.
      i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
      Marc Ehnle

Comment

Does this also happen when running in Fullscreen mode?
        Angelo Cosma

Comment

My System is similar to you except I have a I7-7700K and GTX1080Ti so you have slighter better cpu and my GPU is rated higher.

Overall, MSFS runs better on my system then P3DV5, on a 4K 43" LG monitor with 4k resolution for P3Dv5 and MSFS.
          My settings are Ultra for most with most sliders at around 100 to 120 for some of the graphics setting.
          I was also in the very first alpha/beta group so have gone through multiple installs deletes and reinstalls as required back in that period.

I'm assuming you are not running any mods at all only because you don't mention any.
          If however you do have any mods including any scenery installed in your Community folder, I'd first start by moving the whole contents into a temp folder. You don't have to delete them as long as the original Community folder is empty.

Do you have any updates not completed from the Microsoft Store?

See if you still get a CTD running the sim. If you don't then you can add back any mods into the Community folder one by one.

As Marc above mentioned any further info would be helpful.
          Albert Sahely

Comment

I made this brief video exploring KFLL after it was released last week, flying the default Cessna Caravan (my specs are in the description of the video, as well as my profile in this forum. I have most settings maxed out, but kept anisotropic filtering at 2x and texture super sampling at 2x2. As you can see there are points where stutters are obvious. So will a complex release like the NG3 demand more resources? I looked into just changing my GPU, but the new generation of GPUs start at $3,000 and have PCI Express 4, my board has PCI Express 3.

Regardless, I look forward to the NG3 and hope I can make enough tweaks to make the experience as visually rich as possible.
            Luis Linares
            i9-6700K, GTX 2080Ti, 64GB DDR4

Comment

Regarding the NG3 all we can do is assume. Following P3D logic it will certainly be more consuming. Following P3D too however the cloud and tree coverage woule cause a slight show. With the situation of the NG3 being a matter of NDA for its testers/developers we‘ll know these answers shortly before the release. I personally expect it to be too challanging for my PC at current settings but last August I thought I had to purchase a new 2500€ computer. 🤷🏻‍♂️
              i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
              Marc Ehnle

Comment

Originally posted by LuisKMIA View Post
                but the new generation of GPUs start at $3,000 and have PCI Express 4, my board has PCI Express 3.
                PCIE 3 vs. PCIE 4 makes no difference. PCIE 3 is absolutely fine. There are lots of comparisons online.
                On the other hand, 3000 makes a bif difference to most people's wallets!

I just checked your specs, a 2080ti is more than good enough for MSFS. The next updates will bring improvements on performance, I would not worry.
                MSFS is CPU limited for most people anyway.

Last edited by okiedokie; 09Jun2021, 12:12.
                Brian Jones

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. I am running MSFS purely stock - no add ons of any sort. Updated to latest version. I am running a slight overclock (20% boost) on the processor with an ASUS MB. I have adjusted pagefile size for P3D... I have a house project ongoing but will try the suggestions above to see if I can get a more stable operation. I am running a mesh network in my home and I have this machine connected to a remote mesh router...despite speed tests showing >80 MBPS downloads, I haven't checked the Bing settings to see how I am receiving data. I did one test flight yesterday from SEQM with live weather...took off and the game crashed within 10 minutes during the climbout. So not there yet.
                  Scott Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Bandselect View Post
                    Thanks all for the responses. I am running MSFS purely stock - no add ons of any sort. Updated to latest version. I am running a slight overclock (20% boost) on the processor with an ASUS MB. I have adjusted pagefile size for P3D... I have a house project ongoing but will try the suggestions above to see if I can get a more stable operation. I am running a mesh network in my home and I have this machine connected to a remote mesh router...despite speed tests showing >80 MBPS downloads, I haven't checked the Bing settings to see how I am receiving data. I did one test flight yesterday from SEQM with live weather...took off and the game crashed within 10 minutes during the climbout. So not there yet.
                    Disable your overclock for MSFS.
                    Claude Desrosiers

Comment

Originally posted by Bandselect View Post
                      I had the same issue when MSFS came out, and one of the developers responded in the forum and told me to take overclocking off as it caused the processer to overheat. Once I did that, I have never had a CTD. Hope this helps.
                      Ken Ockwell
                      Part of the Flight Sim Community since
                      Sublogic released the flight simulation program FS1 Flight Simulator for the Apple II in 1979.
                      subLOGIC Flight Simulator 1 for Apple II - the first ever!!! - Bing video

Comment

Originally posted by okiedokie View Post

PCIE 3 vs. PCIE 4 makes no difference. PCIE 3 is absolutely fine. There are lots of comparisons online.
                        On the other hand, 3000 makes a bif difference to most people's wallets!

I just checked your specs, a 2080ti is more than good enough for MSFS. The next updates will bring improvements on performance, I would not worry.
                        MSFS is CPU limited for most people anyway.

That gives me hope, thanks!
                        Luis Linares
                        i9-6700K, GTX 2080Ti, 64GB DDR4

Comment

Life got in the way from the day I posted this request for help and I really appreciate all the suggestions.

I did remove the overclock from my rig - but I was still not completing a flight of more than 20-30 minutes. I then realized that I have been running P3D in 3840X2160 - and my 43 inch monitor was set to the same resolution. P3D runs fine with that and gives me razor sharp graphics.

So I adjusted my monitor to 1920 X 1080 with MSFS set to the same resolution..the sharpness is not what I am used to in P3D, but MSFS runs without crashing. So the issue doesn't appear to be MSFS, but probably trying to have a GTX1080 run MSFS at 4K quality. I will test some other settings to see if I can increase the monitor or game resolution to sharpen things up.
                          Scott Robinson

Comment

Working...
                          X