Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MSFS: Which version to go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSFS: Which version to go with?

With PMDG getting ready to release the DC-6 and the 737 coming sooner or later, I am thinking about giving MSFS another try. Last time (Before getting my money back), I tried the premium edition, but is it really worth the extra cash compared to the standard edition and then getting the addons I want?

Thoughts please!

Jonathan Brad

Part of the flight sim world since 1981

Other than the extra planes (non-modable) and a few nicer airports, you're not missing much. The only limitation you might run into is that some scenery creators might use assets only available in the premium version. I've only ever seen that mentioned once, but then again I wasn't really looking for it.
    Also keep in mind that it's cheaper to get the premium version now than to upgrade later.
    So, ultimately, it depends on what you personally want.
    Cristi Neagu

Comment

Originally posted by CX 747-400 View Post
      With PMDG getting ready to release the DC-6 and the 737 coming sooner or later, I am thinking about giving MSFS another try. Last time (Before getting my money back), I tried the premium edition, but is it really worth the extra cash compared to the standard edition and then getting the addons I want?

Thoughts please!
      I went with the top-end version, which should save me the need to buy add-on airports once I have my NG3 flying. For now, I'm mainly focusing on P3D5 since I only fly PMDG, but once in a while I'll do a propeller flight on MSFS 2020.
      Luis Linares
      i9-6700K, GTX 2080Ti, 64GB DDR4

Comment

I bought the basic version and find it sufficient for my needs. There are some great aircraft (A320neo, flybywire upgrade), TBM930 (upgradable), CRJ4 and Aerosoft CRJ500/700 (payware). The 3rd party scenery would be better than the MSFS versions IMO and only cost in the region of £10-15, a lot cheaper than the P3d scenery. I tried to go back to P3d and find it horrable now that MSFS is available. MSFS is the way forward and all the great developers are supporting it, which is great for the future. I purchased every PMDG product and will only purchase again for the new platform. It's a great simulator and bear in mind it's not been out a year yet, so the SDK's will improve. Hope that helps.
        Ken Ockwell
        Part of the Flight Sim Community since
        Sublogic released the flight simulation program FS1 Flight Simulator for the Apple II in 1979.
        subLOGIC Flight Simulator 1 for Apple II - the first ever!!! - Bing video

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
          Cristi Neagu commented
          Editing a comment
          That's not a lot cheaper than P3D scenery... that's the same price.

I switched to MSFS from P3D and haven't looked back, and with PMDG landing in MSFS soon, that's only a good thing, I agree with the sentiment of MSFS is the future, as for which version, I bought the premium version but the basic version would have done, I only use aircraft from the basic version and the extra detailed airports, yes are better but for me are not that great and will probably get replaced by payware alternatives. So I would recommend basic
        Joe Colehouse EGCC

Comment

Its not quite true that the premium (deluxe) planes are not moddable. Ie, the Heavy group has made a great job with the 787-10 so far, and it has a custom LNAV module (still in alpha/beta). Other than that, I would say that you aren't really missing anything by just using the standard version.

I wanted to support the license so I got the premium deluxe. You never know - one day we will get a quality mod for the premium planes on similar levels to FBW and WT.
          Sincerely,

Andreas Stangenes
          Norway

Comment

Thanks all. I was wondering the same thing…
            Mike Dryden
            GFO Janitor
            Retrieving lost & abandoned airframes
            My liveries: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...kel-s-liveries

Comment

Originally posted by CX 747-400 View Post

Thoughts please!
              My advise: If you can afford it, take the premium. You'll never know what will change in the future what makes you need to buy an upgrade.
              Eric van Dorp

Comment

I took the premium deluxe or whatever the full package is called and beside the DV20 I don‘t use any of the additional aircraft. They are frustrating at best. And the airports that come with the DLCs are not worth the additional money. There are much better freeware airports available at flightsim.to.
                Freeware developers like Working Title made a great job improving the Garmins which increased the value of the planes but the flight characteristics are so off that it hurts. I found some pleasure in the Katana in VR but it doesn‘t really fly like a Katana either.

I don‘t see what should happen that would require the DLCs? Anything that would change the main sim can‘t come with them.
                i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                Marc Ehnle

Comment

As someone already mentioned I think it just depends on what you want / will find value in. If you do plan on flying in a bunch of different locations the added enhanced airports in premium would be a good thing. The whole default vs. payware thing is pretty subjective - personally I haven't been disappointed with any of them. Only bought one payware airport title and that's because it was very well done and just a few miles down the road from me.

Same story with the added aircraft - there are just a few in premium that I wanted but I'm enjoying them so to me it was worth it. Yes some models aren't 100% accurate but as everyone knows, the sim is still a giant work in progress. I anticipate seeing the freeware and open-source community get even bigger than it is already so why not take advantage of some of the mods that will continue to be made. That said, of course I'll be buying pretty much anything that PMDG releases for MSFS.
                  Dan Morand
                  i7-7700k OC 4.8, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Comment

I strongly recommend getting the high version, the money difference is worth it for sure.
                    Alaa Riad

Comment

I am a collector of sorts. so i got the Premium Deluxe... you just got get the one you feel best about. Enjoy and bring on the DC-6!!
                      Thank you,

Brent Springer

Comment

Definitely get the Academic version. Kidding!

Looks like you've made up your mind, but I went with the standard. I didn't see much value in the additional content. A friend sprung for the premium and now doesn't really use the additional planes at all. I'd rather throw that money to a new airport or two.
                        Matthew Glanden

Comment

• CX 747-400
                          CX 747-400 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Academic!? I was thinking more in line of the Professional Plus License for the cheap rate of $2500.00. LOL

Originally posted by Cristi Neagu View Post
                        That's not a lot cheaper than P3D scenery... that's the same price.
                        Well I was paying double that rate, and needed another £300 for SSD to store the megascenery stuff and around £30 for the payware. So MSFS is way cheaper as don't need the SSD to store the 4x Megascenery stuff.
                        Ken Ockwell
                        Sublogic released the flight simulation program FS1 Flight Simulator for the Apple II in 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Ockwell View Post

Well I was paying double that rate, and needed another £300 for SSD to store the megascenery stuff and around £30 for the payware. So MSFS is way cheaper as don't need the SSD to store the 4x Megascenery stuff.
                          Well, you're not comparing apples with apples. Airport scenery for P3D costs just as much as that for FS2020. I don't think there are any large area scenery packs available for FS2020 for the reason you mentioned. And it is also a fair point to say that there's a lot more freeware scenery for FS2020 than for P3D. But apples for apples, all addons cost about the same. You just need less of them than in P3D, which is again a fair point.
                          Cristi Neagu

Comment

Originally posted by Cristi Neagu View Post

Well, you're not comparing apples with apples. Airport scenery for P3D costs just as much as that for FS2020. I don't think there are any large area scenery packs available for FS2020 for the reason you mentioned. And it is also a fair point to say that there's a lot more freeware scenery for FS2020 than for P3D. But apples for apples, all addons cost about the same. You just need less of them than in P3D, which is again a fair point.
                            I disagree, having always paid more for p3d scenery, it's one of the first things I noticed when MSFS came out and payware addons are mostly always better than the vanilla stuff. I liken it to having MSFS as the operating system to use the PMDG addons etc. Anyway take a look at these prices
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Ken Ockwell; 02Jun2021, 17:14.
                            Ken Ockwell

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Ockwell View Post
                              and payware addons are mostly always better than the vanilla stuff.
                              depends. I‘m sure that FT will make a better YSSY than someone who has 2 hours in the evening but there are plenty of smaller airports or aerodromes at beyond ORBX sold quality available. For example Samedan LSZS. The orbx payware is nice, the freeware is outstanding. I picked many small freeware aerodromes in Austra, Switzerland and Germany in amazing detail, combined with the free 20 and 10m meshes it‘s a wonderful scenery.

at the same time Justsim‘s EDDS for P3D is beautiful but the currently available freeware for MSFS is „okay“. I think the bigger the airport and the less access a private person can get the better the payware from names like FSDT, FlyTampa or Flightbeam will be and that‘s where we will probably (have to) put our money. Stand today I have purchased 3 (4) aircraft and 4 airports. But I already have 48 addon airports/aerodromes indtalled and in use. That‘s a huge financial difference to what I did in P3D.

and I find the planes in MSFS much more satisfying than in P3D, maybe it‘s simply the landscape outside. Last night I flew from Juneau to Tri Cities in the WT CJ4 and while this is a flight I would spend on Youtube in P3D with one eye checking the systems I spent this flight with my TrackIR active watching clouds!!! And then getting clear skies around Vancouver I looked at the beautiful scenery. Without any 50$ ORBX regions
                              i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                              Marc Ehnle

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post

depends. I‘m sure that FT will make a better YSSY than someone who has 2 hours in the evening but there are plenty of smaller airports or aerodromes at beyond ORBX sold quality available. For example Samedan LSZS. The orbx payware is nice, the freeware is outstanding. I picked many small freeware aerodromes in Austra, Switzerland and Germany in amazing detail, combined with the free 20 and 10m meshes it‘s a wonderful scenery.
                                There are indeed a lot of new little dev's that make freeware, it's because the development is MUCH easier with lots of obstacles less on MSFS2020 than it had before AND also because MSFS2020 forgives a lot lighting errors; These meme scenery's in P3D would look ugly.
                                It is important to support even the smallest devs, it is thanks to your purchase that they can continue to exist and make beautiful scenery.
                                Last edited by [email protected]; 03Jun2021, 14:57.
                                Cédrice Rive 747, MD11, 737, 777

Comment

I switched to MSFS from XP11 and P3Dv5 on the launch of MSFS and don't regret it at all, despite a considerable investment in the former two engines and the best addon aircraft. I also bought the deluxe edition, which is typical me.

However, knowing what I do now and, flying everyday in MSFS, I would defo go for the basic version first if there's any question of budget. Me in reality? I would still buy the deluxe because I have more money than sense and I can't help it

Sledge
                                  Simon Justice

Comment

I think I am forgetting P3D DC-6 will bring an end flying in P3D. The combination of PMDG's and MSFS sceneries make the whole package more enjoyable time " My wife is alredy getting mad at me" lol -)RO
                                    Rolando Olmo

Comment

Working...
                                    X