Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[29MAY21] A short update on non-MSFS agenda items

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[29MAY21] A short update on non-MSFS agenda items

Captains,

Last weekend's update that included the information about PMDG DC-6 for MSFS and our new YouTube channel are still quite active so I am going to leave the thread posted for a while longer.

All the same, I wanted to shift focus for this weekend's update to give you an idea as to where things are with all of the other agenda items we have at play.

Development Focus in P3D Universe:
    Since the release of the PMDG 777-200ER, we have shifted our Prepar3D development focus to the next agenda item, which is the re-implementation of our LNAV mode, along with requisite behavior changes to the Flight Director Roll Logic and the manner in which we interact with Navdata that underpins all of it. Currently we are working with an internal alpha of the PMDG 747 Queen of the Skies that has the new LNAV and Flight Director Roll Logic. This project has been underway for some time and we are really quite happy with the results.

The plan currently is to hand this testing version to our beta team once they wrap up testing of the DC-6 in June. Once they have the new 747 update, we will work through any items that come back to us, and then we plan to push this change out to all Prepar3D v4/v5 users as a free update. The timeline for that update will depend upon how quickly it goes through the testing process, obviously but I suspect it won't be too long.

Once we have the 747 update pushed out to customers, we will then roll the same set of changes sequentially into the 737 product line and the 777 product line. The order of those will be determined at decision time. My preference is to have the 737 done first so that we can get it into testing in MSFS faster as well, but the 737 behaviors are different than the 777 and 747 which use nearly identical behavior structures- so it remains to be see which tack we take there.

Needless to say, I anticipate that all three major jet product lines will have this update pushed during the course of the summer!

We are currently working on the navdata logic process, as this will allow us to switch to using the modern data format provided by Navigraph rather than relying upon them to export a customized data format for PMDG products as they have done for a few decades. We do not yet know when this will reach a mature enough state for it to be rolled out, but it will follow a similar process to internal alpha testing, external beta testing, 747 rollout to customers, etc etc etc.

With our new-fangeled YouTube channel, I am looking to put together a comparison video so that you can see the difference in how the new/old versions behave... It is a bit low on my workflow priority at the moment since we are prepping a product for release- but I think it would be fascinating to show you!

A few customers have asked if/when we will release a Prepar3D v5 compatibility update for the PMDG DC-6 for Prepar3D. The current plan is to finish the MSFS version and then to push changes backward into Prepar3D. One of the work-scopes in this effort will inform how we drive the cockpit update for the 777 that is due to come after the PMDG 777 for MSFS release, as the new cockpit is being built specifically for MSFS but will benefit the Prepar3D product line as well. The DC-6 will likely serve as the learning test-bed for how we make that happen. The larger issue we are trying to solve here is how to develop our next "new" airplane for release on both platforms- as it isn't possible to develop a C++ based airplane in the MSFS environment, thus necessitating that the "new" airplane's systems and logic be developed in Prepar3D initially and then converted. To succeed at this we are working through a new workflow that involves pushing code up to MSFS, but pushing models/graphics down the Prepar3D. It is a bit of a complicated mess... but we are sorting it out with the DC-6.

Development Focus in PMDG Global Flight Operations Universe:
    Global Flight Operations has slowed since 777 release because we are getting the entire development team spooled up on MSFS work. Global Flight Operations is not yet embedded into the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS which means that the usual testing and data load that we get from our beta testers operating airplanes in the test environment has evaporated as well. We have taken the opportunity to refactor a number of key components in the front end and back end to improve data flow and to dramatically open how how users to utilize flight information and search for aircraft, flights, airports, plans etc. We are hoping to get the DC-6 for MSFS connected into GFO here shortly, which will then restore the testing data flow nicely- and once the DC-6 has released we will be able to re-balance the development team to get the GFO environment into release mode.

Opening timeline is a bit fuzzy... but we are eager to get the team back focused so that we can make that happen.

End-of-Life for non-P3D/MSFS Product Lines:
    On 14JUN21, we will cease selling products from PMDG.com that are not compatible with Prepar3D v4, Prepar3D v5 or Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020 Rel.)

This will not impact the availability to download/install/activate or receive support for these products for any customer who already owns them. It simply means that the products will no longer be available for sale from PMDG.

For a residual period, our partners at Aerosoft.com may have them available for customers who are interested in acquiring these older titles.

If you already own any of the titles affected by this End-of-Life announcement, you need do nothing. They exist within your account and will continue to be available to you as before.

PMDG DC-6 for Microsoft Flight Simulator Release:
    Okay- one topic on MSFS just to reiterate the point: The PMDG DC-6 for MSFS is planned to release in June 2021. Watch for a release date announcement here in the PMDG customer forum. We are currently evaluating two release dates and we will announce for you which of those two it will be in the coming days.

Thanks again for your support, we hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Ah, some GFO news this time. Thanks for the update, Robert. Looking forward to all of the P3D updates while semi-patiently waiting for GFO to get fully polished up. I'm still hoping to see the 737 in MSFS sometime this year, but I know how development timelines can shift.
    Tim Lincoln
    My YouTube Channel

Comment

Thankyou for the update Mr. Robert.
      Victor Green

Comment

Thank you for the update Robert

Lucas Jackson
        PMDG Unofficial Discord Server : https://discord.gg/htZkWNgj9K

Comment

I would have never purchased the 777ER if I had known the below. I was under the impression that you all were actively working on the VC update for the P3D version, not delaying it for MSFS. NONE of your posts around 777ER release time told us the VC update would be after MSFS. Smells like a bait and switch. Now, with typical bugs and testing, etc.... it will take into 2022. Very disappointing.

"One of the work-scopes in this effort will inform how we drive the cockpit update for the 777 that is due to come after the PMDG 777 for MSFS release, as the new cockpit is being built specifically for MSFS but will benefit the Prepar3D product line as well."
          Eric Fisher

Comment

• rsrandazzo
            rsrandazzo commented
            Editing a comment
            Eric- WOW. There is a lot of latent anger in there. You doing okay? Hey- look- I don't want to call you out but I have to point out that you are not only wrong- but grossly so. We have been talking for some time about the fact that we entirely changed the technology we use to model cockpits **in anticipation** of the new MSFS and that all of the P3D product lines would get upgrades as a result. If you missed that piece of the conversation- that isn't on me. The information is out there and has been commented on repeatedly.

Nothing I have told you today changes anything in our timeline expectations, and very little in the post today is "new" information at all. PMDG have a long track record of standing behind our products over very long life-lines and the nearly 9 year old 777 stands as a testament to that. If you bought the P3D version when it was released in 2015, you are still getting updates 6 years out- including moving it through not one, but TWO new versions of the P3D platform **ant no cost to the user.** This kind of long-timeline support for a product is unheard of in software, so please reserve your bait-and-switch comments for developers who actually engage in those practices. I am very proud of the value equation we bring to customers- and while I realize that some folks don't appreciate that our pricing his high- the reality is that you will get nearly a decade of use out of any product you purchase from us. That is worth something.

Post pandemic is a stressful time for everyone, Eric- I really do hope you are doing well wherever you are. Please don't vent your frustration on us- we are the ones working to continue advancing the products you enjoy, so that you can continue to enjoy them even as we enhance our capabilities.

-RSR

• B777ER
            B777ER commented
            Editing a comment
            rsrandazzo I appreciate the sentiments. The job I'm in didn't have hav
            e the luxury of being able to work remotely since the start of this pandemic. Nothing has changed for me whether I like it or not. I'm not angry, just on first blush of reading your post, disappointed at what appears to be P3D taking a back seat. It's your company and you have a right to do however you see fit. I appreciate you responding to my post.

• Wise87
            Wise87 commented
            Editing a comment
            Eric, I was assuming the same thing that a VC update was coming later this year from the 27 Feb post " We have a new cockpit model coming for you a bit later in the year". https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...pmdg-777-300er I guess that is where the confusion is.
            Last edited by Wise87; 30May2021, 17:05.

Glad to hear more news about GFO. I knew it was going to slow down given the focus that's been put on the DC-6 for MSFS.
          Craig Norman

Comment

Thanks for the update! Look forward to seeing the new products come around.
            CA JP Walden
            ATPMEL, IRA E170/190PIC, CE525 SIC
            CFI/MEI/II
            Intel i7-10700K Unlocked, MSI Z490 GE Wifi, 32G DDR4, Nvidia 3090 RTX 24G VRAM, 2 Samsung M.2 1 TB SSDs, 1 2 TB HDD, EVGA SuperNova 1300W PSU

Comment

Would have loved to had an update on the max, but in the end these updates are really good to hear! Especially with my new build in working order and being able to finally use v5! Kudos to you guys at PMDG, you rock!

Jack Schoonover
              Last edited by Jackaroo; 29May2021, 23:31. Reason: forgot name
              Jack Schoonover

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                rsrandazzo commented
                Editing a comment
                Jack- Max is well along but is on hold for "political" reasons. When Boeing is comfortable with us being out there with it- you'll know more. - RSR

• Wise87
                Wise87 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the update on the Max but the way things are going these days at Boeing I have a feeling will never get to see the Max any time soon.

• Alexiyi
                Alexiyi commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, some cool information about MAX. I hope we'll see it this year...
                Last edited by Alexiyi; 30May2021, 19:16.

Thankyou for the information Robert,and i will be looking out for your comparison video.Also your DC-6 tutorials are great your voice is nice and slow and very understandable so it’s fantastic for us aging one’s.
              Last edited by Ausflight; 29May2021, 23:50.
              Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Can't begin to imagine how complex the LNAV update must be to integrate into aircraft behaviour. Sounds incredible.
                David Porrett
                Sea Pilot
                CPL, ME, CFI, IFR
                Mooney M20M (G500/GTN)

Comment

Thanks for the update. I am currently resetting my computer and reinstalling Windows after which I will install only MSFS. After experiencing It I simply cannot go back to P3D in its current form. I keep hopping LM would come out with an update that at some level matches MSFS but I have now given up hope and will patiently wait for your jets to come over. In the meantime I will enjoy learning and flying the DC6 when it is released.

Last edited by majones; 30May2021, 01:15.
                  Michael A. Jones

Comment

• Ephedrin
                    Ephedrin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I too reduced the size of P3D significantly. Just so that I can fly the PMDGs and the Connie into some chosen airports. Need the storage lol

DC6...in GFO... in MSFS...

I'm currently a bit tired of FMSs and flight directors... But there is always a way to bring Alex a couple of barrels of beer... Robert? A stop in Manassas? ^^
                  i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                  Marc Ehnle

Comment

• Swaluver88
                    Swaluver88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ill.join. great incentive

Originally posted by B777ER View Post
                  I would have never purchased the 777ER if I had known the below. I was under the impression that you all were actively working on the VC update for the P3D version, not delaying it for MSFS. NONE of your posts around 777ER release time told us the VC update would be after MSFS. Smells like a bait and switch. Now, with typical bugs and testing, etc.... it will take into 2022. Very disappointing.

"One of the work-scopes in this effort will inform how we drive the cockpit update for the 777 that is due to come after the PMDG 777 for MSFS release, as the new cockpit is being built specifically for MSFS but will benefit the Prepar3D product line as well."
                  For the record, I do remember it being stated in numerous threads that the VC update was being designed for MSFS. The communication was there leading up to the -200ER release. Whether it could have been communicated more clearly is not for me to say but as it was already stated it is most certainly not a bait and switch.
                  James Ward

Comment

Thank you very much for the update, for me especially good to hear that the LNAV/FD update is coming closer..very much looking forward to it !!!!

Just one thing makes me wonder a bit: You are only talking about Roll Mode behavior improvements.... What about the pitch axis and the altitude capture issues. Wont they get adressed with the new FD?

best regards
                    Manolo Ruiz Carrió

Comment

Thanks a lot for the update.
                      Ken Robinson

Comment

Thanks for the update. The weekly update pace seems to become reality
                        After the intense testings from the past months, I would have released the GFO for P3D and then anticipated an update with MSFS compatibility. But, hey I am not the strategist at PMDG
                        Christian Mbeumo i9-10900K MSI Geforce RTX3090 Suprim X, 32GB DDR4 @3000MHz 4k/UHD

Comment

What is GFO?
                          Riccardo Perni

Comment

so we're going to get the new LNAV, but still using the old nav data format?? does this mean stuff like true RF legs are not going to be part of the lnav update but instead part the new nav data update?
                          Mike Teague - p3dv5.1 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B772 B77L B77W B744 B748

Comment

I hope at some point PMDG can loop back to the NGXu and fix the issue with the APU generators not working

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...-bus-tie-issue
                            Alex Pugh

Comment

Originally posted by AirBadger View Post
                              I hope at some point PMDG can loop back to the NGXu and fix the issue with the APU generators not working

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...-bus-tie-issue
                              Alex,

In order to fix it we must reproduce it. Currently none from the dev team or the Beta team is able to reproduce this or find steps to make it happen
                              Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                              PMDG Technical Support
                              http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Originally posted by B777ER View Post

Actually, they did mention it in this post from December 19th that this would be the case, long before the 777-200ER was even released:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...text-notations

"Some folks have asked why we aren't doing a full flight deck overhaul, with rainmaker and a bunch of other animation/immersion features- and perhaps my comments on that topic are being overlooked so i'll restate them here: Those features will come in the form of a future, product-wide update that is currently in development in conjunction with the full-product rebuild that has to take place for the MSFS version of the 777. None of the features that we are already adding are inconsequential updates from an effort/time standpoint, and the ones we are electing not to do at this time are even larger effort/time updates so they are being necessarily held off to fit more efficiently into the much larger workflow."
                                Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                  Swaluver88 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Off subject: Hopefully gsx for msfs is coming along well so its out by the time the ng3 arrives.

• EasternT3
                                  EasternT3 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I agree, one of the products I need in MSFS, I can't wait to have pushbacks again where I don't have to control the pushback and just focus on the start-up procedures.

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
                                Actually, they did mention it in this post from December 19th that this would be the case, long before the 777-200ER was even released:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...text-notations

"Some folks have asked why we aren't doing a full flight deck overhaul, with rainmaker and a bunch of other animation/immersion features- and perhaps my comments on that topic are being overlooked so i'll restate them here: Those features will come in the form of a future, product-wide update that is currently in development in conjunction with the full-product rebuild that has to take place for the MSFS version of the 777. None of the features that we are already adding are inconsequential updates from an effort/time standpoint, and the ones we are electing not to do at this time are even larger effort/time updates so they are being necessarily held off to fit more efficiently into the much larger workflow."
                                Then how come 2 months later on the Feb 27 announcement was it stated that new cockpit update would come later in the year? Did I miss read the announcement?
                                "We have a new cockpit model coming for you a bit later in the year, but even with that pending we did add some new features including the EFB (requires purchase of 200ER) and cockpit motion, as well as the rare Para-Visual Display for you BA fans who have the 200ER". I think this is what is throwing some folks off. I read also as there were going to be some VC update at the end of 2021. If I read it wrong then my bad.
                                Last edited by Wise87; 31May2021, 03:39.
                                Dan Moore

Comment

• Speedbird6
                                  Speedbird6 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Indeed. That is what is upsetting most people.

Only just installed my new DC-6 in P3D v5 and started watching the videos which are really good and easy to follow. I also have MSFS and wondered what the story will be with installing the DC-6 there. I am hoping the there will be a reduced price for those who plonked down the $70 for this neat aircraft. Just read yesterday that the Royal New Zealand Air Force operated the DC-6 way back in the day.
                                Peter
                                Auckland
                                New Zealand

Comment

• Markadeane
                                  Markadeane commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Peter, I have been nagging Mac Paint to do a TEAL DC-6 as part of the official liveries. Hopefully that one will show up sometime.

Mark
                                  NZWN

Originally posted by Wise87 View Post
                                Then how come 2 months later on the Feb 27 announcement was it stated that new cockpit update would come later in the year? Did I miss read the announcement?
                                "We have a new cockpit model coming for you a bit later in the year, but even with that pending we did add some new features including the EFB (requires purchase of 200ER) and cockpit motion, as well as the rare Para-Visual Display for you BA fans who have the 200ER". I think this is what is throwing some folks off. I read also as there were going to be some VC update at the end of 2021. If I read it wrong then my bad.
                                Looks like they were hoping to get all this done at some point this year. Whether that's realistic or not is anybody's guess, but they did mention in this thread they were hoping to have the updates for the 737, 747, and 777 out by the summer.
                                Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Is the DC-6 available for P3d v5? I had it for v4, but thought it was not moved to v5. Will it be made available or must we use MSFS?
                                  Last edited by Bob_Z; 31May2021, 16:50.
                                  Bob Zolto

Comment

• Iggy
                                    Iggy commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    It will be available for P3D V5 at some point.

Robert mentioned it earlier.

[31MAY20]
                                    Pending Updates for DC-6:
                                    Also after the 737 update, we are planning an update for the DC-6. Like the 777, the goal is to roll out a few bug fixes, add PBR and P5D functionality.

• Bob_Z
                                    Bob_Z commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    A lot has changed since that 5/20 update. With the DC-6 going to MSFS, I'd like someone from PMDG to say if it will go to P3d v5.

• Sekkha
                                    Sekkha commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Bob, the following is from this very post from May 21:

"A few customers have asked if/when we will release a Prepar3D v5 compatibility update for the PMDG DC-6 for Prepar3D. The current plan is to finish the MSFS version and then to push changes backward into Prepar3D"

hope this helps

Just subscribed to your you tube channel very cool!!
                                  Angus Rowlands i7 9700K, GTX 1080TI, 32GB Ram, Windows 10 Home. 737,777,747,DC6

Comment

"We are hoping to get the DC-6 for MSFS connected into GFO here shortly, which will then restore the testing data flow nicely- and once the DC-6 has released we will be able to re-balance the development team to get the GFO environment into release mode."

I'm not seeing any mention of P3D v5. Does "release mode" include P3D or just MSFS?

Bill Gardiner

Comment

He said to update the 777 Cockpit later this year

Comment

First of all, thanks for the updated. After watching videos, i'm very interested in buying the DC6 but i plan to move to MSFS soon (july or august) and i wonder if i buy her for P3D4.5, i'll have a discount for the MSFS version. I'd like to learn maximum of this aircraft before MSFS version. Many thanks.
                                        Real Deraps

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                          rsrandazzo commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Real- I'm sorry. We do not offer any migration paths between simulation platforms. We do offer them vertically within a platform but not between. - RSR

Robert wrote:

We are currently working on the navdata logic process, as this will allow us to switch to using the modern data format provided by Navigraph rather than relying upon them to export a customized data format for PMDG products as they have done for a few decades. We do not yet know when this will reach a mature enough state for it to be rolled out, but it will follow a similar process to internal alpha testing, external beta testing, 747 rollout to customers, etc etc etc.

I hope the new NAV-Data format is editable as the current one. There are lots of datas missing for Chinese airports as well Russian (where i fly at the moment).
                                        As for now I can add those missing airports in the current NAV-Data formats and use it in the PMDG FMCs.

Happy flying
                                        Alex
                                        Alessandro Nogara
                                        flying the PMDG 737 BBJ and PMDG 777-200LR

Comment

Working...
                                        X