Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

A few shots of the DC-6 taken through the beta period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few shots of the DC-6 taken through the beta period

Hi all,

While I'm no storyteller like cavaricooper, I thought I might drop in a few images I've taken at various points through the beta test period, and add some thoughts about what we've been working with.

Like many of you who've dipped your toes in the waters of MSFS2020, I am excited at the prospect of what this new platform can offer, but also a bit frustrated at the relative lack of truly in-depth aircraft simulations available right now.

That's not to take away from some of the marvelous work that has been done by developers such as Working Title in the CJ4 and FlyByWire in the A320 NEO. Heck, I flew that CJ4 around the world and enjoyed every minute of it. But the fact is that we are at the start of an era here, and like with FS2002. FS9, FSX, and P3D, there is always a period where the ecosystem hasn't fully matured yet. More so because with FS2020 there is no simple 'porting over' of aircraft from the old world. As PMDG have found out, you've got to go back to the beginning, and these things take time.

The DC-6, in my opinion, is going to be a watershed moment for this simulator. Those of you who know and love the -6 from previous platforms will find the very same in-depth simulation you've enjoyed over the past few years, but dialed up to new levels of visual fidelity. I would liken it to getting a long-overdue new glasses prescription in that you suddenly see things in crisp clear relief. The flight deck has been pushed to new limits, and even after a few months spent in the flight deck, I still catch myself marveling at just how beautiful it is. The external model is also a real treat for the eyes, and it is this aspect of the simulation that I want to show today.

Sorry if I sound like a one-man marketing department here (Fun fact: If you say my name fast enough and in a kiwi accent, it does actually sound like "marketing"), but the DC-6 is going to blow you away.

Disclaimer: These images are from throughout the beta (obviously) and don't 100% represent the final product to be released. One or two of these images are the product of a panoramic stitching program. Any anomalies in the external model are 100% the result of the application I use for that, rather than the model itself.

First off, a demonstration of how the lighting plays off the surface of the aircraft at dusk.

Screenshot (30).jpg Screenshot (34).jpg
    These next four images really show off the intricate sculpting of the aluminium surface, complete with joins, seams and reinforcement plating.

Screenshot (42).jpg Screenshot (50) Panorama.jpg Screenshot (70).jpg Screenshot (67).jpg This is a great aircraft for exploring down low. Interestingly a lot of present day operators of the DC-6 fly it unpressurised, and in any case the performance at lower altitudes is somewhat superior.

Screenshot (117).jpg Screenshot (109).jpg And last of all, let's talk about ramp presence. This aircraft really catches your eye when she's at rest. I'd liken her less to an airliner about to go form A to B, and more like an ocean going ship about to embark on a voyage to far flung places. There's a sense of occasion about the aircraft.

Screenshot (182) Panorama.jpg Screenshot (198) Panorama.jpg Screenshot (120).jpg Hope you enjoyed these shots. The beta team can't wait to see you in the skies!

image_11928.jpg
    Last edited by Markadeane; 29May2021, 02:39.
    Mark Adeane

Awesome pictures!!

Guessing it will be out soon
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Mark,

Fantastic shots. I hope you don't mind me sharing a few of my own.

First three are from tonight, but the last two are from earlier in testing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
      5.jpg
      Mike Roth

Comment

Flying unpressurised is awesome! This means that you don't have to worry about the flight cycle, which means a longer life.

Kouki Yamagishi
        Kouki Yamagishi

Comment

Fantastic shots. You guys are making the wait more enjoyable... and really hard at the same time...

They tell me patience is a virtue, and I'm doing my best...
          Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Swaluver88
            Swaluver88 commented
            Editing a comment
            P=patience

• Alan_A
            Alan_A commented
            Editing a comment
            Swaluver88 - Just tie me to the mast, and I'll be fine...

• Swaluver88
            Swaluver88 commented
            Editing a comment
            When the wind blows🎶🎶🎶

Alan_A

Alan- you will be Gob Smacked Mate- she's grand.

Markadeane

Chaos81

Lovely pics Gents! I share your excitement and anticipation about seeing the skies filled with this ancient wonder... VATSIM will have to restructure traffic flows on the fly

C
          Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

Comment

• Alan_A
            Alan_A commented
            Editing a comment
            cavaricooper - Well, she was my favorite propliner in FSX/P3D. Better than that? OK, then! Better than that!

Now I know how I'm going to spend my summer...

Haha I too thought about the controllers who will suddenly have to think into all these IFR flights without RNAV capabilities and app speeds around 100

outstanding shots, can‘t wait to get my fingers on her! Those 4 big packs are double fun ^^
          i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
          Marc Ehnle

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
            Haha I too thought about the controllers who will suddenly have to think into all these IFR flights without RNAV capabilities and app speeds around 100

outstanding shots, can‘t wait to get my fingers on her! Those 4 big packs are double fun ^^
            Theoretically with the GPS you can fly any approach you want... The issue with the controllers will be the low descent rate, the low descent speed, the more track miles needed to slow down... It will be interesting for them
            Chris Makris (Olympic260)
            PMDG Technical Support
            http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

Theoretically with the GPS you can fly any approach you want... The issue with the controllers will be the low descent rate, the low descent speed, the more track miles needed to slow down... It will be interesting for them
              interesting for sure.

I wonder whether this would be done in reality to connect the Garmin to the HSI and hence the NAV/LOC mode of the gyropilot in such an airplane. Would certainly mean a great upgrade for RNP airspace.
              Marc Ehnle

Comment

Absolutely beautiful model. The rippling of the aluminium is just perfect. A complete knockout!!

Thank you for sharing!
                Matthew Glanden

Comment

That Pan Am livery looks absolutely lovely
                  Giuseppe Nelva

Comment

I'll join this bandwagon. I don't have the Southern Alps that Mark has available outside his door in New Zealand, but there is a special beauty found in the arid Southwestern US that I enjoyed for decades flying below the flight levels in a twin Cessna. I never saw it reproduced very well in FSX/P3D even with Orbx openLC. MSFS really shines in this regard, here I am at 10500 ft cruising over New Mexico on a hour trip from Amarillo to Santa Fe. What a beautiful trip it was:

Capture.JPG
                    Dan Downs KCRP
                    i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

I dont think the PMDG DC-6 has ever looked so good! The lighting model in MSFS is outstanding and it really brings any objects to life.

From Robs tutorial videos on YouTube to these Beta pictures, this is really an addon to be excited about for many reasons!
                      Ciarán Andrews

Comment

Has PMDG considered changing its name to "PPDG (Precision Propliner Development Group"? In addition to this beautiful aircraft, I would like to see a Lockheed Constellation, a Boeing Stratocruiser and a Boeing 314 Flying Boat for starters.
                        Mike

Comment

Mike777 - What? No DC-3? Heretic!

I'd take any of those on your list.

You know what else I'd like to see at some point? An L-188 Electra. Not sure there's ever been a good sim version - if so, not for a very long time. It'd be a pretty interesting transitional experience.

To all: not trying to hijack the thread, just to mark time 'til the next batch of screenshots shows up.
                          Alan Ampolsk

Comment

• Mike777
                            Mike777 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A serious omission on my part, especially given RSR's personal aircraft!

• Alan_A
                            Alan_A commented
                            Editing a comment
                            <sings> Someday, my Dak will come...

Originally posted by Alan_A View Post
                          Mike777 - What? No DC-3? Heretic!
                          A DC-3. You know we know a guy who owns one...
                          Robert S. Randazzo
                          PMDG Simulations
                          http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post

A DC-3. You know we know a guy who owns one...
                            I’ve heard that 😎

And I keep scanning the skies.

The life of a coastwatcher is lonely and hard...

Alan Ampolsk

Comment

Stunning pictures Mark!

Lucas Jackson
                              PMDG Unofficial Discord Server : https://discord.gg/htZkWNgj9K

Comment

can't wait
                                Alaa Riad

Comment

I was cleaning out some files, and thought you might enjoy theses... hope that's ok Mark?

A few more from some earlier sessions- her Aluminum is breathtaking, nicht?

Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

Comment

Stunning pictures again Carl! The sun reflecting on the prop plates is just amazing!
                                    Marc Ehnle

Comment

unbelievable really, better than real life.......
                                      Alaa Riad

Comment

Nice pictures, can't wait to fly it. I hope the tutorials about VOR flying will be easy to understand. I keep having trouble to fly the old fashioned way.
                                        Eric van Dorp

Comment

Man those are some really breathtaking shots. Too bad I can’t recreate them with my current PC specs. I can only afford medium settings at the moment unless I want to plummet way below 30 FPS.

Edit:
                                          DDowns
                                          Since you have your specs listed, is that 2080TI performing to your liking or are you eyeing an upgrade?
                                          Last edited by HighFlier; 30May2021, 21:31.
                                          James Ward

Comment

• mats0916
                                            mats0916 commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            James,
                                            I was running MSFS and the DC-6 on a GTX 1070 OC 8GB with pleasant performance around Scandinavia at pretty much HIGH-END settings

Originally posted by HighFlier View Post
                                          Man those are some really breathtaking shots. Too bad I can’t recreate them with my current PC specs. I can only afford medium settings at the moment unless I want to plummet way below 30 FPS.

Edit:
                                          DDowns
                                          Since you have your specs listed, is that 2080TI performing to your liking or are you eyeing an upgrade?
                                          I don't have any complaints. All my settings in MSFS are "ultra" and I never look at frame rate: Fluid animation is the key thing for me. I got the 2080Ti at a steep discount by getting a refurbished one from Newegg, sold by them not a third party. It will do until there are 3080Ti's available at suggested retail pricing.
                                          Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

HighFlier
                                            James- all these were with a 6700k and a 1080Ti... no need for a rubber room mate... but if you manage to find a 3090 send us a linky please!

I habitually complement the VATSIM Controllers in ZATL, Vienna and London, but I had SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE this afternoon with my own local KZMA, that I had to give them a shout out. We had a very helpful Ground Controller, and Center was fantastic. He was curious WHY we needed to descend from 8000 that far out of Key West, but once he realized we were old and slow, he was very accommodating so Bravo Zulu KZMA- thanks for a fantastic flight!

While US Customs was sniffing around, and the Pratts were ticking in the sun, I thought I'd pull out my 110 InstaMatic (are YOU old enough to remember those?)....

BTW this was a flight from LVFR's Miama to FSDT's Key West... both very well done!

TTFN

Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

Comment

• Swagger897
                                              Swagger897 commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Nice shots! After I read the announcement last week I took out my Delta 6B and did a ‘quick’ hop from Atlanta to Key West myself. Seeing your shots there, well, there’s no contest that it spells the end for P3D.

I am continuing my Southwest tour, here passing Lake Powell enroute to Bryce Canyon:

Capture.JPG
                                            Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

• DDowns
                                              DDowns commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Arrived strictly VFR, no GPS, using the lay of the land and a sectional chart to find KBCE, enter left downwind for 21 and land. This is the most fun you can have with your pants on.

• Ephedrin
                                              Ephedrin commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              I'd like to like that comment too ^^

It looks beautiful, can't wait to bring out my paintbrushes..

But I'm not sure about those reflecting propdiscs, they seem a bit too much to me, at least in some of those shots, I'd make them a bit more transparant I think

Comment

Is the Yoke movement acurate? 95 Degrees? Realy nice cant wait

best Regards
                                              Christian Urban

Comment

Originally posted by HighFlier View Post

Edit:
                                                DDowns
                                                Upgrading a 2080Ti only for MSFS is likely not worth it at the moment. We are still heavily CPU bound. Id say wait till you see the new optimisations and DX12 before you upgrade from a 2080Ti upwards.
                                                Sandro Vitalini

Comment

Working...
                                                X