Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[22MAY21] It is finally time for a bit Show-and-Tell related to Microsoft Flight Simulator

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, I am still not a fan of MSFS - especially key features like camera/view system is nothing to enjoy yet and also the main menu annoys me each time I see it.
    But it makes me happy reading PMDG is going this long way and hopefully we see the big Boeing-things in MSFS with 100% functionality as in P3D and until then, MSFS gets way more improvements, fixes.
    Timm Rehberg
    Twitch Stream | V1 Simulations Blog

Comment

• rsrandazzo
      rsrandazzo commented
      Editing a comment
      Timm- I had a similar experience to you. In fact, I think most of the PMDG team were stunned to learn that it was indeed possible for me to speak six or seven consecutive sentences structured by nothing other than profanity as I tried to make it work for me. Eventually, I stumbled into some youtube videos about how to really use the views system- and since then it has been a dream. I've come to really like it. It has one MAJOR annoyance for me that I am still trying to overcome (cannot control airplane while in drone view) but I'll get there. Stick with it- the payoff is worth it. - RSR

• simtom
      simtom commented
      Editing a comment
      rsrandazzo You kinda can control the aircraft while in Drone Cam, just press "C". Mind you, this will then disable control over the drone cam itself.

Excellent news. Well done to the team. Has certainly cheered me up as I was expecting mid 2022. Proved wrong again in a nice way.
    Charlie Goulding

I9-9900K Clocked to 5.0GHZ, KRAKEN Water Cooled, NVIDIA RTX3080 TI, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel Memory, 2 M2 500GB SSD's, AUROS Z390 Mother Board, 1 x Samsung 860 QVO 2TB Solid State Drive (up to 550MB/s R | 520MB/s W) in a NZKT Frame.

Comment

This is absolutely incredible news. It's very ambitious to announce that the 777 could be releasing end of year along with the 737, but if PMDG said it, then clearly they are confident then can achieve it.

This accelerates my plan to build a dedicated rig for MSFS. Really looking forward to the new Boeing aircraft. Day-1 purchases for me.

Keep up the great work!
      Fahad Al Riyami
      PMDG 737NGX, 737NGXu, 747 (+ -8), 777 (+ -300ER). MSFS-exclusive, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo.

Comment

• Fozzy
        Fozzy commented
        Editing a comment
        Small correction there, it says DC-6 first in june, 737 between end of summer (in the perfect world) and end of year, then come the 747 or 777. Not 737 and 777.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Looking forward to seeing PMDG enter into the MFS world and bring their very best to the platform... cant wait to watch the vids..

Quick question, is there a timeline for when the DC-6 will be entering P3D? I love flying that plane and miss it from the sim.....

many thanks
      All you're getting is:
      "We fully expect to have the DC-6 and 737's released this year"
      "I'll shift focus to those [the videos] once we have the DC-6 out the door over the next couple of weeks."

Now, with that last one, you're free to make up your mind if he meant "shift focus to the videos over the couple of weeks after we have the DC-6 out the door" or if he meant "we'll have the DC-6 out the door in the next couple of weeks, then I'll shift focus to those videos"...
      Cristi Neagu

Comment

Are you saying that the MSFS versions of your products will have 100% feature and systems parity with their P3D versions?
      - Karl Brooker

Comment

With this announcement I see very clearly that PMDG is being dazzled by the candy for the eyes. I feel that this platform is not a simulator for me or, well, it lacks a lot even for my personal point. I'll look at that little game like super mario arcade. the controls like the keyboard and mouse the latter as JOKE was not implemented as in FSX, FS2004 and like the P3D and that makes me very crude even and among many other things. I will wait 5 years and see how the development of that game is going for now I will be faithful to P3D. but personally I am very happy for PMDG that it seeks new horizons for the new generation of simulation players. I think that the idea, the dreams, the wishes, the dreams of the B767 for P3D have died with this announcement for at least another 6 or more years and I will cry because PMDG is the only frankenstein that could give a real life to that Aircraft and maybe to the iconic B727. So for those of us who are lovers of these two aircraft, we will only have to carry them in our thoughts. Rob and PMDG always wish you the best
        Steven Silva

PMDG 767 for P3D/MSFS

Comment

• rsrandazzo
          rsrandazzo commented
          Editing a comment
          Steven- I'm disappointed to see you say this. It tells me that you are angry about something that is probably totally unrelated to the simulator itself. Given that PMDG makes it's bread and butter from our reputation for realism- I would hope that our enthusiasm for the core of MSFS would speak to you a bit in terms of "they must be seeing something there." If you are this angry over change for the better, I can't help you- but after interacting with you here I have really enjoyed your enthusiasm for our products- so I'm disappointed to see you categorically condemn something you haven't really been able to evaluate on an apples-to-apples basis yet. I have... and if I'm willing to bet the house on the outcome- I would hope that my opinion would be worth something. - RSR

Wow. This is great news.
        Regards,

Bob Quick

Comment

Originally posted by Lanica View Post
          Does this mean adios to any further development for P3DV5? I hope not.
          Especially considering there's still a "secret"/unannounced aircraft project if I'm not completely mistaken. Supposedly for P3D V5, but who knows for sure?

Comment

• rsrandazzo
            rsrandazzo commented
            Editing a comment
            ...and it will release on P3D before MSFS... -RSR

• HighFlier
            HighFlier commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh? Are you able to say whether it will be compatible with v4 or is that still too much to reveal at this point?

• StachM
            StachM commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent... that's all I needed to know. I'm stoked.

Rob:
          What great news!

I can now dust off my copy of MSFS, and get it ready for the DC-6.
          Based on your excitement, it sounds as it will be more fun to fly it, than it was in XP10 and P3Dv4.

And I think you are doing a great job with those YouTube videos.

How refreshing to watch a tutorial, without the mouse pointer or the view of the presenter jumping all over the monitor screen with each word.

I’ll also dig out the DC-6 manuals and checklists I made for myself, that are “somewhere” in my files, to get reacquainted with this historic airplane.

Oh, and I’ll start my Google search on livery painting, so that the Bolivian DC-6’s I had in P3D, can eventually (hopefully!) show up in MSFS.

The long wait for an update, was definitely worth it.

All of you at PMDG and in your homes, keep safe.

Regards,
          Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki
          Toronto, Canada

Comment

• rsrandazzo
            rsrandazzo commented
            Editing a comment
            Roberto- Thanks for the kind words. In preparation for this, I spent about 200hrs watching tutorials and videos created by other users and kept a running sketch pad of what I liked and didn't like. Long-musical-intro for example... no. long meandering introductions... no those are no good either. screen bouncing around and you can't see what they are pointing to... not good. Anyway- I make my share of errors in this too as we learn how to do it. I don't anticipate any of this winding up in the YouTube Hall of Fame. But if i can make the airplane more fun to fly- then it is worth the effort. - RSR

Sad to read that PMDG decided to switch resources to the development of MS bugsimulator addons, as this means they will neglect the development for P3D.
          To be honest, I feel a bit kidded by the actual news, following the last development posts, I would have expected the DC-6 update for P3Dv5 in Q1 or Q2 this year, but it seems that we can wait way longer or maybe forever, because PMDG is in love with the new eyecandy toy-sim.

Comment

• Lanica
            Lanica commented
            Editing a comment
            Robert did say last year all the PMDG aircraft would be ported to V5 at no extra charge. I only hope he keeps that commitment the DC6 being the remaining one. If he will just do that they can jump on the train to MSFS nervana and I will wave my hankie bidding a fond adue.

• rsrandazzo
            rsrandazzo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thomas- And nowhere in any place have I hinted, indicated, suggested or announced that we are done with P3D. YOU said that... Not me. In fact- if you take the time to go back and read posts I have been making all year- we have a very long agenda planned for P3D that is still pending, including new product development. So please- quit the self-immolating martyr routine and approach reality with some maturity and honesty. If you are simply looking for something to be unhappy about- then by all means continue searching- but please do it elsewhere. This forum is a place to enjoy simming and the company of simmers- but it does require a bit of honestly along the way. - RSR

• Hazza
            Hazza commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG! Have you even READ the comments RSR has made in this thread? If so maybe some revision on comprehension reading is required

Congrats guys! This is wonderful news. As a real-world half steam/half glass driver, I am very excited to learn how to fly a classic.

As I have mentioned before, we all know you have numbers down pat that go into these products, but with the delightful visuals of the new platform, I really hope we will see some additional cabin immersion in your MSFS line as well.

What the platform release has shown me, is that a complete virtual cabin is unnecessary.

The highly-detailed window frames offered with the default airliners have provided the best cabin immersion experience I've seen on any platform. With the sounds to go with them, and all the quality front-end stuff, I truly feel like I am flying.

I'd love to see similar window frames, perhaps with those cool retro curtains, provided in this product!

Thanks again and great work!
          Troy Kretzul

Comment

Thanks for the update Robert, this is great news. Having not one but two PMDG aircraft slated for release in MSFS is outstanding for those of us who have also been "all-in" for some time now with that sim.

Just subscribed to the new channel and let me just say that, after watching the takeoff tutorial, that is about the best instructional video I have ever seen. You managed to put across in-depth info in a way that was informative, fun to learn and and fun to watch. Doing all that and still keeping the video lengths at reasonable times is no small feat. Let's just say you are raising the YouTube property values (and setting the bar awfully high for everyone else!)

Great job PMDG teams - you guys simply have no equal 😁
            Dan Morand
            i7-7700k OC 4.8, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Comment

Excellent news! Thank you for your diligent work. I look forward to flying the PMDG products in MSFS.

Comment

Hello Robert and all,

that is great news. Congratulations on the accomplishment. Personally wish there's an update for v5 coincident but that comes in due course. Me and a friend of mine fly the "Six" a lot. It is great to see that 5,512 USG option in Sim.. That was one of the areas we wanted some attention on and it seems it has gotten it. Since you asked about any questions regarding her, here are a few;

1. Speaking of auxiliary fluids and the ability to top-up, it would be nice if some sort of persistence (or as I do for the jets, default panel state = Previous Flight.xml) to allow not only the engine and airframe hours to be tracked, but also to receive a frame the way you left it off. As it is now, all oil, water/meth, aux oil etc are completely full when you load in together with the standard C&D state.

2. Have the conditions of when the engines get damaged been tweaked? As it is now, I feel they damage very very quickly. On our last flight between PHNL and KSFO, one little 2000 foot step climb resulted in all 4 engines dying, 20 minutes after reapplying climb power. Cowl Flaps to 8°, Props to climb, Power to climb, CHT's in the green. I even went to book value BMEP - 10. All engines still died after 20 minutes.

Again, congrats to all on this project. She's our most rewarding and satisfying bird to fly. Looking forward to many more hours trotting the globe.
                First Officer Boeing 777 - Xander Koote

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                  rsrandazzo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Xander-

Persistance is already in place. We are working on Asobo to help them understand why they need to stop overwriting our fuel values, but the rest of the fluids work correctly. We are hoping Asobo will cease their fuel value overwriting in an update a bit later in the summer. (Has been the source of a number of conversations.)

Engine damage conditions have been tweaked quite a bit, and will likely continue to get tweaked. The hard part is finding that happy balance between realism and simming so that it makes some sense to the user. If I had a main bearing failure in the DC-3 back in 2012, and it was likely the result of someone pulling on the propeller to test for hydraulic lock back in 2005 or so... Lets see how things shake out once we put this one into operation and we can tweak them as needed with future updates. I have some ideas for how to better simulate abuse failures... I just need the time to implement them properly. - RSR

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

I have set up the same buttons I use in chaseplane in P3D to move around and change views at MSFS2020 using the default camera system. Athough I would like to have chaseplane it is possible to have the same operation with the default MSFS2020 camera system.
                Chris, I'm going to need those setting. The camera system in MSFS2020 drives me crazy at the moment, though to be fair I haven't spent a lot of time in the sim. Yes, chaseplane will be a must if and when it becomes available for MSFS2020.
                Ryan Syferd
                KSEA

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
                  Cristi Neagu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What ChasePlane feature are you missing, exactly? I found that almost all of the functionality is there already.

• 559AS
                  559AS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its the presets and the ability to move (fly) around the VC. I think I've got it set for the exterior view using the drone camera. I'm sure I'm missing something..

I know this is totally "against the grain" of PMDG ethics, and I truly admire their professionlism, but I have a suggestion. I have no experience with coding, but I know the 738 intimately.
                I purchased the NGXu in time for the $99.99 MS2020 discount. I propose that PMDG offer the NG3 as an "Early Access" for all those who were part of the discount offer. We can acknowledge the "Early Access" and can contribute in a big way with development by reporting bugs, etc. This would maybe accelerate the development at no cost (since we had a huge discount in any case) and further the progress of other PMDG aircraft for MSFS. I am well aware this is not the normal "modus operandi", but then again, MSFS 2020 is a new beast. And maybe we could all contribute to PMDG in some way, with our combined experience, to progress the NG3. Just an "out of the box" suggestion. Think about it: PMDG has already contributed $99.99 per user. Let's refund them with our experience! Regards.
                Last edited by Peter Webber; 22May2021, 17:49.
                Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                  rsrandazzo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Peter- We have never offered an early access product, and I don't think we would. The reason is really straight-forward: This community was absolutely robbed blind by a few developers in/around the 2005-2010 time period through "early access" and "pay-to-beta" programs. It really did a huge amount of damage to the community and it's faith in the honesty of developers. I much prefer that when we hand you a product, at most it might need some tweaks through micro updates- but it isn't as if we can hand you a turd pile and then walk away. We have too much respect for the community to engage in such a fashion- and I think that is an important value to maintain. - RSR

• Jude Bradley
                  Jude Bradley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, 100% agree, Robert, There is currently a 737-300 early access product out there, but I am not willing to bite.

I have strong faith that PMDG will restore the pride and quality that other long-lasting developers should all be putting into MSFS.
                In the 10+ years I have been in the sim community, never have I seen developers milk the community of money and attention while producing such mediocre products.

That being said, I applaud the PMDG team for truly 'starting from scratch' on these products for MSFS...setting the bar high in an entirely new realm.

MSFS opens an entire world of possibilities for all developers and yes, it takes time, resources and in many cases money to create the new standards. However, the bar should NOT be set low by just "porting-over" products that were designed and limited for a sim engine over a decade old. Just imagine what can be accomplished in the new generation of MSFS addons if others followed PMDG's suit.

Looking forward to the future of "Home" Flight Simulation.

Cheers!
                Gabriel Guzman- IAH "Never stop flying the plane."
                My ANA 777 fleet project

Comment

Originally posted by TomJay View Post
                  Sad to read that PMDG decided to switch resources to the development of MS bugsimulator addons, as this means they will neglect the development for P3D.
                  To be honest, I feel a bit kidded by the actual news, following the last development posts, I would have expected the DC-6 update for P3Dv5 in Q1 or Q2 this year, but it seems that we can wait way longer or maybe forever, because PMDG is in love with the new eyecandy toy-sim.
                  Have you even tried MSFS recently. There is no doubt it is the future for the sim community. The realism far exceeds that of P3D. The only thing holding it back right now for some is the lack of complex aircraft. PMDG is the gold standard, once they are releasing aircraft for MSFS there will be no looking back.

Also don’t forget at the end of the day PMDG is a business and the opportunities for growth simply do not exist with P3D.

Ryan Lee

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
                    Cristi Neagu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If bringing up the current state of avionics and airplanes is "stupid", then i can also say P3Dv20 is much better than FS2020. Doesn't matter if it's not out yet, cause that doesn't seem to matter for the not out yet avionics and airplanes of FS2020. We're talking about the here and now, what is, not what may be. And right now, if you want a realistic avionics suite, be it steam gauges or a glass cockpit, an airliner or a GA, you go to P3D, not to FS2020.

As for developers not getting an answer to their messages, i can direct you to this topic: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...lity-xp/392140 And that's just cause it's one I started. There are other developers saying the same thing.

• Swaluver88
                    Swaluver88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Heheh just you sayings p3d v20 makes me wonder.. I like looking into the unprecedented unpredictable future. Its fun!

• EasternT3
                    EasternT3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My bad Cristi, I understand what you meant now, yes I agree with you that P3D (or X-Plane) are still the sims for complex airliners, I guess where I was coming was in fairness of ones had a longer life span than the other so until MSFS gets to same point it’s in my opinion not fair to judge, only time will tell. I think whichever sim you use we all achieve what we set out for.

As for the developers, I wasn’t doubting you, but unfortunately you can’t always take peoples word for what it is hence asking for that thread, personally I would be more concerned if it was a big developer. Yes it’s bad asobo seem to be airing messages but we don’t have the full story, we don’t know Asobo plans going forward, maybe they are working on the GTN units in house so therefore don’t need XPReality, Asobo/MS are not stupid, they know for the longevity of sim they need to open it as much 3rd party development as possible to maximise income.

Awesome news! But please dont forget your P3D base! We are still waiting for the DC6 Update for P3D.
                  Klaus Schmitzer

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGabe View Post
                    I have strong faith that PMDG will restore the pride and quality that other long-lasting developers should all be putting into MSFS.
                    In the 10+ years I have been in the sim community, never have I seen developers milk the community of money and attention while producing such mediocre products.
                    Keep in mind that PMDG is one of a few developers that are working directly with Asobo. Most other developers would love to be able to deliver their products to FS2020, but they can't even get a response to their emails from Asobo.
                    Cristi Neagu

Comment

Great news and I really enjoyed the tutorial videos!

Hopefully there will be an option to hide the tablet.
                      Greetings
                      Tim Scharnhop

My files in the Avsim File Library

Comment

Editor's Note: User's post removed due to violation of Terms of Service.
                        Last edited by bonfly; 24May2021, 01:29.

Comment

• TomJay
                          TomJay commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @rsrandazzo: Your reply is kind of outrageous. You are talking to a customer...

• rsrandazzo
                          rsrandazzo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @TomJay: Not really. The construct of social grace is a two way street. There is nothing in any commercial contract that says a vendor must allow verbal abuse or misconstruction of truth. We bend over backward for our customers and enjoy a very nice relationship with the vast majority. Politeness and honesty is the most we ask. -RSR

• bonfly
                          bonfly commented
                          Editing a comment
                          rsrandazzo I'm posting with my real name here and I have only commented on your business. There was nothing abusive in there and I find it outrageous and insulting that you would even insinuate that. That is not okay, Robert. I'm quite frankly appalled.

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                        Captains,

We have been rather quiet about our pending product releases as they related to Microsoft Flight Simulator, but the time for silence has now drawn to a close. After a long period of keeping our MSFS experience to ourselves, we are finally ready to show you what the road ahead is going to look like for our product lines in this exciting new platform.

Let me start by saying that we do not view Microsoft Flight Simulator as a "port-over" process. About fourteen months ago we determined that a full, new development process would be called for in order for us to take full advantage of everything that the new sim platform has to offer. It has been a painstaking process to throw out more than two decades of experience and workflow in order to build new products for Microsoft Flight Simulator, but now that we have a few products working in MSFS I am certain that taking the longer pathway was the best decision we could have made.

Our plan is to bring our entire 737, 747, 777 and DC-6 lines into MSFS. This task is currently our highest priority workflow and we have moved resources from around the company to accomplish this task. Originally we felt that 737 would be our first product to hit the release cycle, but this proven not to be the case. There were a significant number of technical hurdles that needed to be cleared before we could push any of our glass flight deck airliners into MSFS. While this has been a painful process we believe that we are clear of the worst hurdles and what remains now is mostly just the work of development required to finish our products properly.

We are fortunate to have a very talented team that works in parallel on multiple projects at one time and it became evident a few months ago that our DC-6 had reached a point where it was ready for testing well ahead of the 737 that was supposed to beat it to release. With that realization we pushed the DC-6 to our testing team a few months ago and they have been putting hours and cycles on the simulation to great effect.

There has been a fair amount of skepticism within our customer base as to whether Microsoft Flight Simulator is-or-will-be a valid platform for the sorts of products PMDG makes. We have remained silent on the topic in part because we don't generally talk much about products early in the development cycle. We also don't like to talk too much about our development agenda prior to a development project reaching some maturity because it is important as a small developer for us to maintain as much flexibility as possible to shift resources around as they are needed to keep projects from bogging down. But this of course has caused some conjecture on what our opinion of the platform might be, so we thought it might be a good time to lay bare what we are up to with Microsoft Flight Simulator.

We are "all in" with this new platform. We have reached the point where we are certain that we can get all of our product lines effectively into the simulator, and that process has begun in earnest. Currently we are working on the DC-6 and the 737 product lines, and Vin is building out the new flight deck for the 777. We fully expect to have the DC-6 and 737's released this year, with a remote possibility of the 777 releasing as well by year end, and the 747 during first half of 2022.

For years, many of us in the development community have lamented the fact that we are developing cutting edge simulations of incredibly sophisticated airplanes, only to have them look like 1990s animations when they appear on the screen. That is no longer a reality for products that appear in Microsoft Flight Simulator. For better or worse, we finally have a simulation platform with a dynamic, living world, an incredible lighting model, magnificent atmospherics and a broad range of capabilities that will allow us to simulate our favorite airlines to a degree never before possible.

To show you what we mean, we have decided to celebrate the impending release of our first MSFS product by opening a new, official PMDG You Tube Channel.

Yes... PMDG is now officially lowering property values on YouTube.

We invite you to visit our new channel here.

As of this moment, we have uploaded the first half of the Basic Tutorial Series for the PMDG Douglas DC-6. While many of you have flown the DC-6 in XPL or P3D, I hope these short videos will show you just how more advanced the simulation is within the MSFS environment. With a modern rendering engine and a modern lighting engine, our simulation of this truly fantastic airplane is about as close as you can get to being there. We have never put much time into video promotion of our products, but that all changes now. I hope that this new tutorial series gives you a chance to see just how detailed and beautiful our products will be in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. There really is no comparison at this point, but don't just take my word for it: Go look for yourself!

I still have another half dozen pending for the basic tutorial series, and then I'm going run an advanced series of tutorials for those who really want to learn the in-depth aspects of operating a radial engine airliner with precision. This is a subject about which I am passionate, and after flying the DC-3 for a dozen years I hope that these tutorials will really help you to see the realism and authenticity of what we have created with this product.

Soon enough, I hope to upload a preview of the new LNAV model in operation within the 747, as well as some preview vidoes of the 737 in MSFS... I'll shift focus to those once we have the DC-6 out the door over the next couple of weeks.

In the mean time- if there are specific topic areas that are of interest to you in the DC-6 tutorials, please shout out and let me know. Since I am deep into the production process for these I can easily work some requested topics into the flow of things as I progress.

Oh- and no making fun of my artwork... I'm a pilot, not an artist.

Congratulations for the announcement Robert. I've always been confident you guys would debut on the platform sooner than many expected. I have no doubt you'll contribute to push flight simulation to a higher level than ever before.

Incidentally, it's always nice to be proven right, so thank you for that :P
                        Giuseppe Nelva

Comment

Originally posted by bonfly View Post
                          You managed to develop a DC6 in MSFS “from the ground up” during the last year but more than a year after the release of P3D5 you still haven’t even given us an upgrade of that existing product.

I’m so glad you’re at least showing us which market you care about.
                          Good point!
                          Klaus Schmitzer

Comment

Originally posted by bonfly View Post
                            You managed to develop a DC6 in MSFS “from the ground up” during the last year but more than a year after the release of P3D5 you still haven’t even given us an upgrade of that existing product.

I’m so glad you’re at least showing us which market you care about.
                            Developers care about the market that puts food on the table.

If you'd like to complain about lack of support for P3D5, I suggest addressing the complaint to Lockheed Martin, which has done absolutely nothing to create a flourishing market large enough to keep third-party developers' attention. As a matter of fact, in LM's case, you could almost say that they have actively discouraged the creation of such a market.

Honestly, I've always been surprised that sizable teams like PMDG managed to survive in the age in which first-party developers have allowed the hobby to sink into a small, neglected niche.

Kudos to them for their resilience. I certainly won't blame them for moving to much, much greener pastures. No one should.
                            Last edited by Abriael; 22May2021, 18:32.
                            Giuseppe Nelva

Comment

• Ephedrin
                              Ephedrin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This statement, Giuseppe, is so spot on. It‘s precisely why I‘ve always thought that we (the civil customers) are those who pay the development fees of P3D and those who use its actual purpose of military aircraft development and training bring the revenue.

• RichardMcDonaldWoods
                              RichardMcDonaldWoods commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Perhaps we, the non-military users, are used by LM to be a long term beta testing team for their military customers?
                              My immediate concern is for the further long wait to get a B777 in MSFS.

So near enough building the aircraft from the ground up again?

this means we could see an efb for the 747 in Msfs…which I hope works it’s way back to p3d?
                            Liam Riley

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                              rsrandazzo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Liam- I would rank this as "more possible than not" at this juncture. The holdup on adding the tablet to the 744 is entirely a manpower issue. It will take two developers thousands of hours to import all of the data and create the predictive processes required. It just isn't something we are able to do right now. It is different when you are talking about a ground-up rebuild because you have an entire dev team focused on it at that time. Doesn't guarantee it happens- because it still takes a massive amount of data input time... but it is better than even odds at this juncture. - RSR

Originally posted by Abriael View Post

Developers care about the market that puts food on the table.

If you'd like to complain about lack of support for P3D5, I suggest addressing the complaint to Lockheed Martin, which has done absolutely nothing to create a flourishing market large enough to keep third-party developers' attention. As a matter of fact, in LM's case, you could almost say that they have actively discouraged the creation of such a market.

Honestly, I've always been surprised that sizable teams like PMDG managed to survive in the age in which first-party developers have allowed the hobby to sink into a small, neglected niche.

Kudos to them for their resilience. I certainly won't blame them for moving to much, much greener pastures. No one should.
                            LM didn't promise a port over of PMDG aircraft to V5 last year, Robert did. Fine to move on to new platform for business reasons, if you don't abandon former commitments. Not saying they are but this message from Robert leaves one wondering.
                            Victor Green

Comment

I have always enjoyed your DC6. I flew the R-2800 on the CL215 water bomber for a number of years and even though most of my time is turbine i look back on the time with the R-2800 as a real fine memory. Looking forward to hearing those engines again and listening to the automated flight engineer. Hope you are able to integrate a Garmin 430 that works properly in MSFS. While I have been building my MSFS with add-on scenery it still needs decent, accurate, real time weather. Other than the weather, visually MSFS is getting good.
                              Dave Wilton

Comment

• Lanica
                                Lanica commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Water bomber!! Man you are most definitely a pilot!

• rsrandazzo
                                rsrandazzo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Gents- Dave is a "no-****-that-guy-can-fly" sort of pilot. We have had the pleasure of interacting with him for years and while I haven't had a chance to meet him in person I do know many aerial firefighting pilots and they are a great lot. Can't wait to see what you think of the new build in the new platform, Dave! - RSR

So here we go, this is probably one of the turning points if not THE turning point. In a year (probably) we won't be hearing much about Prepar3D unfortunately or any of its predecessors.

It's all MSFS is missing - Proper, flyable aircraft.
                              NUNO PINTO
                              Ryzen 7 5700G 4.7Ghz · 32GB 3800Mhz 16-18-18 · RX6800XT · PNY 2TB M.2 · Kioxia 2TB M.2

Comment

UAU, big congratulations, that new channel is a great idea and the DC-6 is looking absolutely gorgeous, I am really excited about what is coming and MSFS is the way to go forward for me... After flying MSFS I find more and more difficult to go back and fly P3D, and now with not just a decent plane but an awesome plane ultra realistic I don't think I can ask for anything else. Looking forward to it. Again congratulations and excellent work.
                                Cristian Caicedo A.

Comment

Working...
                                X