Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Will there still be development/availability of products for Prepar3D v5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there still be development/availability of products for Prepar3D v5?

Even with Microsoft Flight Simulator, will PMDG still keep availability and support up for Prepar3D v5?
    Evan Cheauré (EvantheKidDS)

Originally posted by EvantheKidDS View Post
    Even with Microsoft Flight Simulator, will PMDG still keep availability and support up for Prepar3D v5?
    I would assume so as the planes are the same model and code to fit in both sims if im not mistaken. Of course pmdg may switch to MSFS strictly down the road if p3d users start to switch to msfs like they did with P3D but it still took til P3d V4 to decide they weren't gonna make anything for FSX (captain Kevin will definitely correct me if I'm wrong on what version)
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Supporting a product and developing are two different things.
      I don't know if there is still support for FSX, but anyway I switched sims long before they even stopped developing for FSX.... and yet I'm pretty conservative.

P3D has many years ahead of it, with GFO putting a crown on PMDG planes.
      In fact, the flight simulation is a rather stable market with changes of platform which are done slowly.
      I know sectors where the market is really tormented to the point that certain things do not pass the project stage.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 16Apr2021, 09:00.
      Cédrice Rive 747, MD11, 737, 777

Comment

• StewCal
        StewCal commented
        Editing a comment
        What is GFO?

Here's the exact wording of it.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...te-information
      https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...nths-hours-etc
      https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...=4684#post4684

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Supporting a product and developing are two different things.
      I don't know if there is still support for FSX, but anyway I switched sims long before they even stopped developing for FSX.... and yet I'm pretty conservative.
      I'm assuming they still provide technical support, they just don't update the products anymore as of November of 2019, so any bugs that get discovered afterwards won't get fixed.
      Last edited by Captain Kevin; 16Apr2021, 09:05.
      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

My take on it that support,(such as bug fixes and minor enhancements), for existing products will continue for at least a foreseeable future. MSFS is quite raw at the moment so until it is fully cooked P3D will still be a go to sim for PMDG planes for a lot of people. New development is probably a different story. According to recent announcement threads MSFS is cooked enough for PMDG to start bringing its planes into it starting with 737 so I'd take it that future new plane development will focus on FS. I for one all in favor of that don't like P3D all that much and will not be sorry to see it disappear from my hard drive so the fewer reasons I have to keep it the better, but realistically speaking we are years away from that point.
        Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Better stay at P3D. MSFS still in beta. Every update they do bring other bugs. So it makes no sense to bring study level aircraft like PMDG,FSlabs and others to MSFS. First fix the basics (MSFS itself) and make it stable, then its time for complex addons.
          Just my 50c

Robert Stephan
          Keep flying
          Robert Stephan

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
            Cristi Neagu commented
            Editing a comment
            Even better would be to let PMDG decide when the sim is ready, considering they know better than all of us put together what state it's currently in and what it still needs, if anything And even better than that would be to let people make up their minds on whether they want to use FS2020 or not. I recommend it to anyone. It's brilliant for GA VFR flights.

Lockheed's P3D platform will indeed continue for quite some time.
          Patrick Bell, Sr. USA
          Home-built DFI LanPartyJr X58 MB, Intel i7-920 (OC'd to 3.8GHz), Triple-Channel Corsair 12 GB DDR3 3200 RAM, Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD, nVidia GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, MS WIN 7 64-bit Ultimate.
          P3D v4.5. PMDG products: ALL

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
            Cristi Neagu commented
            Editing a comment
            People are still using FSX. And what's more, P3D should have commercial users to keep it going. So it's safe to say it's not going anywhere quite yet.

I think PMDG will continue to provide support and sells until the passion dies out and people start migrating from P3D to MSFS, I meant; P3D was great till MSFS pocked their nose in, now ; it is a battle of technology and see whom will stay in the future. We love P3D but also the lack in their global scenery is not good and airport are boring flat elevation thus; we have to spend some money on other developer to make it better with sceneries. I would be curious to see what will P3D do in the future to keep up also competition is good for developer!- ) ro
          Rolando Olmo

Comment

Originally posted by PelicanEagle View Post
            I think PMDG will continue to provide support and sells until the passion dies out and people start migrating from P3D to MSFS, I meant; P3D was great till MSFS pocked their nose in, now ; it is a battle of technology and see whom will stay in the future. We love P3D but also the lack in their global scenery is not good and airport are boring flat elevation thus; we have to spend some money on other developer to make it better with sceneries. I would be curious to see what will P3D do in the future to keep up also competition is good for developer!- ) ro
            Scenery ain't everything....once again scenery vs study which one fits you the best?
            Alex Kulak
            PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
              Cristi Neagu commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel like it's easier for Asobo to bring study level addons into FS2020 than it is for Lockheed to bring FS2020 scenery quality into P3D. Everything hinges on how committed Asobo are to realism. All indications seem positive, but it will probably take quite some time.

• Swaluver88
              Swaluver88 commented
              Editing a comment
              most definitely

I agree with Swaluver88 "scenery ain't everything" most of us love this hobby to learn and we don't need too much of scenery but it is a fact. When you set up your MSFS to flight L&S and you can see your house or you do a VOR/DME visual app and you see the runway elev , that changes every thing no matter how we use our hobby platform, hopefully both platform will improve to make better realism experience ro
            Rolando Olmo

Comment

Considering we are on PMDG's forums, purveyors of the finest airliner simulations, most people here will agree that the scenery is pretty low on the list. Only thing bothering some would be visual approaches into some well known airports, but usually the approach path is part of whatever third party scenery you choose to use. Other than that, you can't see much from FL350. But once you start moving away from airliners, scenery becomes incredibly important. For any sort of VFR flying, scenery is almost everything. You can enjoy even a default aircraft in FS2020 flying VFR just as much as you would enjoy an A2A plane in P3D with default scenery, albeit for different reasons. Start getting into some better simulated GA aircraft and the balance tips over completely.

To each his own, i suppose. All i can really say is that i hope Asobo deliver on what they set out to deliver and we no longer need to have these conversations about which sim is better for what.
              Cristi Neagu

Comment

Originally posted by Cristi Neagu View Post
                Considering we are on PMDG's forums, purveyors of the finest airliner simulations, most people here will agree that the scenery is pretty low on the list.
                Really depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. If you're just flying around on your own or practicing maneuvers, scenery might not be high on your list of priorities. Point noted. But if you're starting to get into screenshots, videos, or even live streams, I'd say both planes and scenery are equally important. I don't fly to any of the default airports in P3D because the texture quality just isn't there. Why would anybody want to watch me fly to a low quality airport. With add-on scenery, people can recognize their home airports more easily when they watch me fly to these places.
                Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Yap I agree Capt Kevin it makes a big difference doing app videos or streaming with friends even doing pair like KSFO and KLAS using flytampa addons on P3D I don't know guys what's happening but when I fire up MSFS I almost forgot that I have P3D and believe me I love my PMDG's I have devoted lot of time to master my skill flying my PMDGs but I can tell you I will be very happy to see them in MSFS! ro
                  Rolando Olmo

Comment

My guess is P3D is still the best sim for airliners in the next 12 to 24 months until the 3rd party addons can catch up. Yes, it has many short comings but the 3rd party addons like PMDG and others kind of created an inertia on the platform. If LM continues to development, particularly the flight modeling physics and scenery engine (I doubt that), it may still be a viable platform for even longer.

MSFS2020 is positioned as a one size fit all product for both gamers and simmers. I doubt how committed the developers are in bringing in the realism that are demanded by simmers.

While the general public and gamers would be attracted by the eye catching realistic sceneries, and undoubtedly some of them would be converted into simmers, I guess most would get pretty bored by MSFS2020 pretty quickly. As a game, it just lacked the thrill elements in it. Air Combat sims would have a longer playability to the non simmers, as a contrast.

MSFS2020 is quite good at GA flyings for now, and definitely has lots of room to grow further. However, I just don't believe the number of flight simmers will increase significantly going forward. The size of cake is relatively stable over the years. Hence, I doubt the marketing plan of MSFS would ever work out.
                    Philip Kong

Comment

I think it just depends on how many months/years PMDG will need to release their current line to msfs.
                      And more important, will the msfs version use new technologies and features that would justify a new version of those airplanes in P3D with those new technologies & features. If so, will it be possible to port it to P3D?

If the answer is no to the previous questions and if let's say it requires 3 years to port the 737,777 and 747 to msfs, where will P3D be in 3 years when PMDG would be in the position to develop a brand new airplanes?

That's a lot of IF and it might be a little too early to answer all those questions.
                      Stephane Dirand

Comment

The reason I created this topic was because that, I tried out MFS2020, and I discovered that it's a very demanding sim, especially for someone who does simulated flying as a hobby, not as a hardcore-simmer. So, I'm edging back towards P3D, hoping to go to P3D v5; and considering the possible MAX Expansion to the NGXu, I wouldn't want to miss out on it.
                        Evan Cheauré (EvantheKidDS)

Comment

The reason I created this topic was because that, I tried out MFS2020, and I discovered that it's a very demanding sim, especially for someone who does simulated flying as a hobby, not as a hardcore-simmer. So, I'm edging back towards P3D, hoping to go to P3D v5; and considering the possible MAX Expansion to the NGXu, I wouldn't want to miss out on it.
                          For me, the performance is brilliant compared to P3D. In P3D i was struggling to get 25fps. With FS2020 i'm getting 30-35fps everywhere, with incredible graphics.
                          Cristi Neagu

Comment

• EvantheKidDS
                            EvantheKidDS commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mostly the reason was that, the controls for how to fly the plane, wasn't even remotely the same as FSX:SE/P3D; (ex: No Mouse Yoke)
                            But, I can say that the performance can be an improvement. I guess I would want to fly w/ the best scenery, internet or not.

• Cristi Neagu
                            Cristi Neagu commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Unfortunately, FS2020 scenery without an internet connection is probably worse than default P3D. But you can build a scenery cache if you fly in an area a lot, i suppose.

Do you mean the required hardware is demanding or the flying technique is demanding?

If hardware, there is only one solution which is spend more money, and thats boringly straight forward..

If you are talking about flying, the reason you may find MSFS2020 is demanding is because you may not be used to the flight dynamics and the random nature of turbulence. Actually, if you have been on X-Plane before you won't find MSFS is particularly outstanding as they claim.

On P3D, the default airplanes fly like a brick and they are not realistic at all. The plane will stay on a set trajectory until an input is made. Thats not true. Air is always moving and it is not uniform. There are always pockets of thermal and pockets of turbulence here or there. The density, the wind, the temperature, etc are not uniform. The plane will move around in the air, especially GA planes, even though the overall trajectory is stable (thanks to the stability in the design).

On P3D, You can install 3rd party addons like airplane, weather engines, and introduce random turbulence to make your flying more realistic. So its all up to you to define what sim you want to fly.

Don't expect flying on a small Cessna would be like your experience on an airliner (thats what most people would relate their 1st hand experience on flying in the air). Just like don't expect riding on a small boat against a cruise liner In the open seas.

Philip Kong

Comment

• EvantheKidDS
                            EvantheKidDS commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I meant by there's no mouse yoke, no F1-F4 for controlling engine thrust, or F5-F8 for raising or lowering flaps....

It may be that we won't see the MAX at all on P3D, or at least I wouldn't count on it.
                          Ilari Kousa, Finland

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                            [email protected] commented
                            Editing a comment
                            He's already struggling to stay in the real sky.... so in sim I'll let you guess...

Originally posted by elgreco111 View Post
                          Better stay at P3D. MSFS still in beta. Every update they do bring other bugs. So it makes no sense to bring study level aircraft like PMDG,FSlabs and others to MSFS. First fix the basics (MSFS itself) and make it stable, then its time for complex addons.
                          Just my 50c

Robert Stephan
                          Do you know who decides what sim is best for PMDG going forward?

PMDG.

Do you know who doesn't?

You.

And PMDG has spoken quite clearly on the issue.
                          Giuseppe Nelva

Comment

Originally posted by Abriael View Post

Do you know who decides what sim is best for PMDG going forward?

PMDG.

Do you know who doesn't?

You.

And PMDG has spoken quite clearly on the issue.
                            Not true. PMDG - more than any company that I am aware of in this industry - truly listens to its customers and gives them a real voice. Best example is this Forum - do you know of another where the President and CEO is an active member of a customer forum? A President and CEO who shares his thoughts on the direction of product development openly and honestly? And, shares facts and reasoning on why you may not get exactly what you want? I certainly know of no other.

The folks at PMDG are among the most open and honest business people that I know.

Keep up the great work PMDG!

Patrick Bell, Sr. USA
                            Home-built DFI LanPartyJr X58 MB, Intel i7-920 (OC'd to 3.8GHz), Triple-Channel Corsair 12 GB DDR3 3200 RAM, Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD, nVidia GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, MS WIN 7 64-bit Ultimate.
                            P3D v4.5. PMDG products: ALL

Comment

Originally posted by PopsBellNC View Post

Not true. PMDG - more than any company that I am aware of in this industry - truly listens to its customers and gives them a real voice. Best example is this Forum - do you know of another where the President and CEO is an active member of a customer forum? A President and CEO who shares his thoughts on the direction of product development openly and honestly? And, shares facts and reasoning on why you may not get exactly what you want? I certainly know of no other.

The folks at PMDG are among the most open and honest business people that I know.

Keep up the great work PMDG!
                              You're quite obviously confusing communication with decisional power.

The fact that the developers communicate with the userbase (which absolutely isn't unique or even rare in this industry in particular and in the gaming industry in general) does not mean that anyone other than PMDG takes wide-ranging strategic decisions on what to develop.

PMDG sees their sales data and communicates with other developers. They also have better insight than any random forum user on the maturity of all simulators as platforms. If you think that decision isn't taken on that base as opposed to some people asking stuff on forums, I'm sorry, but that's a pretty naive standpoint.
                              Giuseppe Nelva

Comment

Good day to all of you! I am really hoping short term revenue stream needs will keep PMDG motivated to develop another home run or two for P3D 4 and 5. Though MSFS may have a potentially large customer base (Still debatable), it's still a year or more away. In the meantime there is a proven loyal customer based for P3D who are starved right now for new products. Short term it makes good sense to pop out another product or 2 while MSFS "matures." But then again, I have no idea what part of their revenue comes from general users like us vs. revenue from commercial clients.

Regardless, I will buy it and I will probably re-buy it if/when MSFS will have the legs to support a classy product like PMDG. Yes, I am a PMDG addict and have been since their first product roll out.

Best regards,

Michael Sanem

Comment

• Cristi Neagu
                                  Cristi Neagu commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I seem to recall (and correct me if i'm wrong) that when PMDG are waiting for certain features from Asobo, they are shifting people onto P3D projects. And i don't thing they have ever stopped P3D development. Not to mention GFO is coming to P3D. So... as far as I know, despite their efforts into FS2020, business is as usual for PMDG when it comes to P3D.

The latest dev update for sim update 4 looks so promising! Can‘t wait to try it out soon.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...pdate/399366/2
                                i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                                Marc Ehnle

Comment

Working...
                                X