Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Blue Angels Flying F-18E Super Hornet's at Sun 'n Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Angels Flying F-18E Super Hornet's at Sun 'n Fun!

As a sign that the world may be slowly getting back to normal, the Blue Angels will fly their new type - the F-18E Super Hornet - in their first airshow at Sun 'n Fun, Lakeland, FL! Shows will be on Saturday and Sunday, April 17th and 18th with arrival and practice beginning on Thursday April 15th.

https://flysnf.org/aerospace-expo/us...-at-sun-n-fun/

and

https://youtu.be/i1odVh3f-ww

I know I'm going...
    Patrick Bell, Sr. USA
    Home-built DFI LanPartyJr X58 MB, Intel i7-920 (OC'd to 3.8GHz), Triple-Channel Corsair 12 GB DDR3 3200 RAM, Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD, nVidia GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, MS WIN 7 64-bit Ultimate.
    P3D v4.5. PMDG products: ALL

I month or two ago I saw a youtube video interviewing the 2 fellows who were flight leads for the Blue Angles in the past, brought back and were now evaluating this new F-18E - apparently some of the dynamics are a little different and presented a few new challenges. I look forward to seeing them some day. Growing up on Air Force bases, I have attended a lot of air shows!

One of my best memories was seeing a British Vulcan doing figure 8s over the runway at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. Its engines made a very bad-ass screaming/howling noise!

Mark Trainer

Mark Trainer

Comment

Originally posted by mtrainer View Post
      I month or two ago I saw a youtube video interviewing the 2 fellows who were flight leads for the Blue Angles in the past, brought back and were now evaluating this new F-18E - apparently some of the dynamics are a little different and presented a few new challenges. I look forward to seeing them some day. Growing up on Air Force bases, I have attended a lot of air shows!

One of my best memories was seeing a British Vulcan doing figure 8s over the runway at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. Its engines made a very bad-ass screaming/howling noise!

Mark Trainer
      I agree Mark, I saw a Vulcan strutting it's stuff at an air show at Offutt AFB in the early 80's. I'm old enough to remember Thunderbirds in F-4 Phantoms, lots of smoke and noise!
      Dan Downs KCRP
      i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Last time I saw F-4s 'up-close' was opening day/'come see where your seat is' event at Joe Robbie Stadium in the Summer of 1987. I was just walking away from a beer stand on the 100 level concourse as 3 F-4's flew from West to East roughly 100 feet above the Sony Jumbotron at about 450 kts with burners lit. The Noise! - you could feel it - and in the blink of an eye they were gone, I only saw a blur. Honest to God I thought the world was coming to an end.
        It was very cool and quite unforgettable.
        Patrick Bell, Sr. USA
        Home-built DFI LanPartyJr X58 MB, Intel i7-920 (OC'd to 3.8GHz), Triple-Channel Corsair 12 GB DDR3 3200 RAM, Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD, nVidia GTX 1070 Founder's Edition, MS WIN 7 64-bit Ultimate.
        P3D v4.5. PMDG products: ALL

Comment

I bought my tickets a couple weeks ago. After losing the entire show season last year, I’ve got to make up for lost time! Looking forward to AirVenture in a few months as well.
          Sean Wood

Comment

Yeah I am old enough to remember the F-4 Phantom Thunderbirds - ditto on the noise factor!

I'm now in the Chicago area and each year they have the Air and Water show - the only thing is, the CROWDS! You're shoulder to shoulder with folks. Hard to see. Back in the 70s/80s at BASF in Louisiana you could get a great spot and actually enjoy things.

Since we're kind of story telling a bit here, I will mention highlights of growing up on Air Force bases.

Being offered to go up in the control tower. Spent an hour there observing.

Space shuttle on the back of a 747 coming in for gas on the way back to Florida. We got let out of high school early for that one.

Being asked into "Job Control" when dad had to take me to work because mom was working. They had a huge model of the runway and little planes representing the real-life location of the aircraft on the tarmac. Grease pencils with markings that glowed.

Flying the Singer-Link full motion KC-10 Extender simulator, not once but TWICE! And getting to crash it into a KC-135 while being refueled!

Laying on hay bales at the end of the south end of the runway (just off base BASF) and watching B-52s, A-10s, KC-10s,, and KC-135s doing touch and go.

Was making Mac 'n Cheese when it sounded like someone kicked our front door as hard as they could. I was mad as hell as I was sure it was one of my prankster friends. Whent outside to deliver a severe tounge lashing and saw a fireball and smoke - a KC-10 returning from Florida blew up after parking. It's anniversary still makes the news down there my parents send me the newspaper clips.

Hanging out at the officer's club...yeah we were young (19, 20 or so) but Louisiana you could drink at 18 back then....we were there routinely picking up my friend's mom, who was an Air Force officer divorcee who had a thing for officers. Loved talking to the pilots - "Yeah the weather's bad over Oklahoma so we're here for the night. Me: If you could fly any plane in the Air Force, what would it be? Pilot: "The SR-71".

Mark Trainer
            Mark Trainer

Comment

• DDowns
              DDowns commented
              Editing a comment
              BASF: Barksdale AFB? The Mighty 8th Air Force!
              Last edited by DDowns; 18Mar2021, 15:56.

• PopsBellNC
              PopsBellNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! Love the recollections, Mark. Sadly, in my years Pres.Carter was at the helm, and all of the military suffered. I was forced to watch the Thunderbirds at Homestead AFB when they were flying T-38's. Not trying to dis T-38's, but hey simply do not compare to shows with F-4's or F-16's. Just sayin'.

Originally posted by mtrainer View Post
            Yeah I am old enough to remember the F-4 Phantom Thunderbirds - ditto on the noise factor!

I'm now in the Chicago area and each year they have the Air and Water show - the only thing is, the CROWDS! You're shoulder to shoulder with folks. Hard to see.

Mark, I lived in the Chicago area for many years and know what you mean about the crowds. One year I found the solution. Find someone with a boat. Watch the show from the water. There is nothing like it. Never went back to trying to view it from land ever again.
            Michael Sill

Comment

BASF...May have that designation wrong Dan but yeah, Barksdale AFB- 8th Air Force Second Bomb Wing. The Mighty 8th! A beautiful base actually, one of the larger ones. Grew up on that base.

Michael - sounds like a a great idea! Gotta hang with a richer crowd...

Mark
              Mark Trainer

Comment

• DDowns
                DDowns commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup... been there. Spent a day in the little museum filled with treasures. I spend four years with SAC as a base comm officer at Offutt working everyplace from flight line to underground command post. Got lots of stories.

There's a YouTube channel that's posted great video (with comms audio) of basically every single practice flight they've done with the new planes at El Centro over the past couple months. It's really cool to see how the show develops over time. They gradually integrate more maneuvers, integrate the main diamond with the solo routine, etc. until it's a cohesive show.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MKBLUES1

Comment

• PopsBellNC
                PopsBellNC commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome channel, Tabs - thanks!

Originally posted by Tabs View Post
              There's a YouTube channel that's posted great video (with comms audio) of basically every single practice flight they've done with the new planes at El Centro over the past couple months. It's really cool to see how the show develops over time. They gradually integrate more maneuvers, integrate the main diamond with the solo routine, etc. until it's a cohesive show.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MKBLUES1
              Tabs: You're back??!? Is it Dr. Ryan now?
              Dan Downs KCRP
              i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

• cannonplug
                cannonplug commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! Definitely a name that hasn't crossed my consciousness in a long time... Welcome back... if it is indeed the same Tabs.

• PopsBellNC
                PopsBellNC commented
                Editing a comment
                You read my mind, Dan - My money is on that is indeed THE "Tabs"!
            Working...
            X