Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Please help me choose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me choose.

Everyone, I have a serious concern.
    I'm thinking about whether to buy PMDG 777 and enjoy P3D or MSFS2020.
    To enjoy P3D, you need to purchase the PMDG 777, but you need to purchase 3 packs. But I'm worried because the price is too high.
    If I had made a purchase, I would move to MSFS2020 someday, but it is a waste to discard the purchased PMDG 777.
    So I'm worried. Should i buy the PMDG 777 now? Or have a great time at MSFS 2020 and it's hard to decide whether to buy the MSFS 2020 version PMDG when it's released

I'm not an English speaker, so please understand if my English sentence is weird.
    Kim young ju

The base pack is required, but the other two expansions are optional. As for what to do, that's really your choice. Keep in mind it might be a year or so before you see something from PMDG get released for FS2020, so really depends on how long you want to wait.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• redsonssi
      redsonssi commented
      Editing a comment
      I love both 300ER and 200ER.
      So I was going to buy two expansion packs.

If you have the storage there is no reason to „change“ the sim. I have P3D5 and MSFS2020 and fly both. When I fly airliners I don‘t need the great scenery anyway and for the airports I’ll have addons in both sims. And in MSFS I mainly fly the Diamond mods and the VL3.

but I understand your concerns regarding the financial stuff. The MSFS versions will be a new purchase and you‘ll easily end up in the 1000 $ for PMDG only. So it all depends on how desperately you want to fly the 777. I will definitely get the expansion but I already own the base pack.

but it you DO want to get the 777 for P3D then purchase it before the update gets released as it will become more expensive.
    i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
    Marc Ehnle

Comment

• redsonssi
      redsonssi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comments.
      I like 777.
      But the price holds my ankle.
      Last edited by redsonssi; 23Feb2021, 16:54.

• Simicro
      Simicro commented
      Editing a comment
      1000 $ for PMDG only ??? What do you inclide in the 1000 $ ?

• Ephedrin
      Ephedrin commented
      Editing a comment
      P3d versions + expansions + MSFS versions + expansions. A possible 787... it sums up quickly.

I cannot run your budget for you of course but let me tell you my story and then make a suggestion. I am an XP flyer primarily. I find P3D setup extremely difficult and painful to manage. But we don't have a heavy boeing in XP that even remotely matches the quality and depth of PMDG. So after finally getting fed up with mediocrity of XP heavy boeings I spend a month of pain and suffering of reinstalling P3D and setting up PMDG planes and I can't be happier and content now. Now to my suggestion. MSFS under the best of circumstances will not support quality high tier add ons like PMDG for another year year and a half. That is under the best of circumstances. Right now in its current state it is a beatiful eye candy flight like general aviation VFR game. You have to decide what you want more for the next year year and a half. a study grade plane that is absolutely gorgeous or scenery. If you want a plane my suggestion is to get PMDG and P3D and in a year you can squirrel away enough money to buy MSFS and PMDG for MSFS. I spend a bit more money than I should on my hobbies so I have all three sims plus all the worthwhile planes in them and right now I can tell you that I haven't touched FS since I initially bought it on release and flew it for a week. I'm happily flying in XP and P3D.
    Aleks Matrosov

Comment

• redsonssi
      redsonssi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks to that, I think I'm getting closer to purchasing the PMDG 777. It was helpful. Thank you.

I wonder where some information comes from such as it will be over a year to get quality aircraft in MSFS. Right now there is a near Aerosoft quality A320 neo and it just gets better every day for free. There is an very near term (next week or two) release of a CRJ. I have P3D v5, XP11, and MSFS. Now if you are talking about the PMDG 737 for MSFS, that is down the road. I can't seem to find 1 year down the road anywhere. I think giving this type of advice to folks does a disservice to the community. I will say that I fly P3D for the PMDG 737 NGxU, XP for the 757 and MSFS for the Neo. So in the end pick your poison. They are all good sims with pros and cons. The one area that MSFS ranks head above is the world. Out of the box it is all by itself as far as what you fly through. It is quite possible that with the release of the CRJ (I really don't like flying the Airbus and only do so to enjoy the MSFS world), I may spend the largest part of my time there. Sooner or later, I will be quite surprised with the PMDG737 in MSFS. At that time, my other sims, in their current versions, will be deleted. However that is me. We all have to decide what fits our wallet, what makes our sim experience enjoyable and not get caught up in the "my sim is better than your sim" crap.
    Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL

Comment

• matrosov
      matrosov commented
      Editing a comment
      Educated guess based on current state of FS. development and their focus on sim improvements vs scenery releases. The freeware zibo like Neo is not the same as PMDG level three digit $ top shelf of payware. I can't care less who broke what and when with flyby wire mod because I am thankful that a talented group of people are giving it to me for free. When PMDG brakes because sim is too unstable I don't care that it's sim I'm submitting tickets to PMDG . The top shelf guys have that reputation and consumer expectation to uphold. So they'll be sitting and waiting for a bit longer and let mass consumer devs like carenado etc. Expose bugs for them. I'm hoping I'm wrong, not too big on the pain of P3D, but I don't think I am.So I'm grabbing that T7 expansion from PMDG and A340 from Toliss and merrily flying in XP and P3D.

And here's another interesting point that may or may not guide PMDG's effort and timing as far as MSFS development and eventual release goes. PMDG is a simmers plane not a consumer plane. A lot of simmers right now are sitting on probably grand-two grand of a sim scenery, planes. A lot of those simmers are tube flyers who see the eye candy on take off and landing and are perfectly content with clouds Active sky generates for them at 36 thousand feet. They might not be too keen to start reinvesting into all the same planes they already own on a new platform. GA flyers yes different story, ground scenery is important.
      Last edited by matrosov; 24Feb2021, 06:17.

Originally posted by Crabby View Post
    I wonder where some information comes from such as it will be over a year to get quality aircraft in MSFS. Right now there is a near Aerosoft quality A320 neo and it just gets better every day for free. There is an very near term (next week or two) release of a CRJ. I have P3D v5, XP11, and MSFS. Now if you are talking about the PMDG 737 for MSFS, that is down the road. I can't seem to find 1 year down the road anywhere. I think giving this type of advice to folks does a disservice to the community.
    It was PMDG themselves who said they were looking at a year or so before they would have anything out, with the 737 being the first product, and seeing as the original question was about whether to purchase the P3D version of the 777 or to wait for the FS2020 version, I would say that's accurate.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...text-notations
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Crabby View Post
      I wonder where some information comes from such as it will be over a year to get quality aircraft in MSFS. Right now there is a near Aerosoft quality A320 neo and it just gets better every day for free. There is an very near term (next week or two) release of a CRJ. I have P3D v5, XP11, and MSFS. Now if you are talking about the PMDG 737 for MSFS, that is down the road. I can't seem to find 1 year down the road anywhere. I think giving this type of advice to folks does a disservice to the community. I will say that I fly P3D for the PMDG 737 NGxU, XP for the 757 and MSFS for the Neo. So in the end pick your poison. They are all good sims with pros and cons. The one area that MSFS ranks head above is the world. Out of the box it is all by itself as far as what you fly through. It is quite possible that with the release of the CRJ (I really don't like flying the Airbus and only do so to enjoy the MSFS world), I may spend the largest part of my time there. Sooner or later, I will be quite surprised with the PMDG737 in MSFS. At that time, my other sims, in their current versions, will be deleted. However that is me. We all have to decide what fits our wallet, what makes our sim experience enjoyable and not get caught up in the "my sim is better than your sim" crap.
      You are telling a story that has nothing to do with my question
      And I don't like Airbus and CRJ very much.
      Last edited by redsonssi; 24Feb2021, 06:23.
      Kim young ju

Comment

Originally posted by redsonssi View Post
        To enjoy P3D, you need to purchase the PMDG 777, but you need to purchase 3 packs. But I'm worried because the price is too high.
        If I had made a purchase, I would move to MSFS2020 someday, but it is a waste to discard the purchased PMDG 777.
        So I'm worried. Should i buy the PMDG 777 now? Or have a great time at MSFS 2020 and it's hard to decide whether to buy the MSFS 2020 version PMDG when it's released

I'm not an English speaker, so please understand if my English sentence is weird.
        wait for a year or two and then decide.
        Angelo Busato

PMDG puts an incredible amount of work into their products. We are lucky to have them and their high quality aircraft.

Comment

• redsonssi
          redsonssi commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't want to.

I think the biggest thing here to remember is that hobbies cost money and sometimes expensive. I can think of at least ten things that are a far worse purchase then flight sim software. We will dedicate time and resources to the things we enjoy. If you want to purchase and enjoy this wonderful if not then that’s wonderful as well. You have choices my friend can’t go wrong
        Kendall T. Carlile

Comment

• DDowns
          DDowns commented
          Editing a comment
          Hobbies that cost more: Hunting, fishing, golf, bowling, auto restoration, wood working, quilting, ..... I guess whittling costs less.

• drdickie
          drdickie commented
          Editing a comment
          I just spent about a thousand on new golf clubs, so your are correct. And, don't get my wife started on sports cars...

• matrosov
          matrosov commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I have too many of those hobbies. Guns check, Flight simming check, 3d printing check, woodworking check, offroading check. I need a promotion at work.

Get P3D and the 777. That way you can enjoy immediately.

If you don't have enough money, take the 777 Base Package that will already provide you lots of enjoyment. See later for the 300ER and 200ER.

Also set a goal, for example: I will move to MSFS2020 in at least 3-4 years, when the sim matures and PMDG and other high end aircrafts are available on that platform, when I get a return on my investment in P3D, when I have saved enough money to make a new investment in MSFS2020.

Tony Argaud LFPG - P3Dv4.5

Comment

• redsonssi
          redsonssi commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll think about it. Thank you.

Myself and friends can spend 300 euros times a month...... When we were 20 years old
        But it depends so much on your situation
        Cédrice Rive P3D4.5
        747, MD11, 737, 777

Comment

• Simicro
          Simicro commented
          Editing a comment
          300 euros a month for leisure only or for all expenses ? Do you think it was good... or not ?

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
          [email protected] commented
          Editing a comment
          I regret absolutely nothing I enjoyed my youth and the simulation was for me only a small part of my expenses

I would say go with P3D.

The MSFS looks great for eye-candy. But if you want to have the opportunity to fly - what I consider - top notch airplanes then have a go with P3Dv4 or 5. I am personally going to stay with v4 as I am not willing to spend any more money on the same platform. Again, this is personal. v4 works just fine and just like I did with FS9, I rode it til the wheels fell off. I had FS9 from the time it broke the scene til 2017 when I skipped FSX completely and went to P3Dv4 - talk about a quantum leap!

I don't think you would regret going to P3D and then you can wait a year or two down the line - should the world last so long - to get MSFS2020. By then you will have a pretty good idea of where PMDG is heading.

In addition, I feel that since PMDG gave a discount offer for owning the NGXu when the NG3 comes out, it's probably something they may look to do for us as a thank you for the purchase now - when MSFS2020 really takes off.

Just my two cents.
        Regards,

Comment

• redsonssi
          redsonssi commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I chose P3D and 777.
          I just bought 777.

Originally posted by aviator268 View Post
        In addition, I feel that since PMDG gave a discount offer for owning the NGXu when the NG3 comes out, it's probably something they may look to do for us as a thank you for the purchase now - when MSFS2020 really takes off.
        I don't think so. They only did that initially because when the NGXu was initially released, it was expected that FS2020 would be more capable than what it is now. Had PMDG known it would take this long to be able to get their planes to work in FS2020, they wouldn't have offered the credit at all. They most likely won't be doing this again.

Source: Robert himself here: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...4661#post94661
        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Lanica
          Lanica commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. A feller could grow mighty old waiting around for the next sale.

• aviator268
          aviator268 commented
          Editing a comment
          Captain Kevin Indeed - thus the word "may" becomes so important as I do not wish to be quoted as saying they would.

Kim,

Whatever your decision, once you make it, please let us know

Comment

• redsonssi
          redsonssi commented
          Editing a comment
          I decided to buy the 777. Thanks for the comments.

Thank you for your many comments.
        I decided to purchase the PMDG 777 after long thoughts.
        Due to financial issues, it was not possible to purchase 3 packs at once, so I decided to purchase the base pack and 200ER pack first.
        Thanks again for the comments.
        Kim young ju

Comment

Thank you for your many comments.
          I decided to purchase the PMDG 777 after long thoughts.
          Due to financial issues, it was not possible to purchase 3 packs at once, so I decided to purchase the base pack and 200ER pack first.
          Enjoy your 777 , what's your first flight in it going to be ?
          Lucas Jackson
          Proud Precision Manuals Development Group User

Comment

• redsonssi
            redsonssi commented
            Editing a comment
            The first flight will probably be the Asia route.

• Lucas Jackson
            Lucas Jackson commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice.

• redsonssi
            redsonssi commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you~

I decided to purchase the base pack and 200ER pack first.
          Good decision.Thanks for letting us know. I wish you some nice flights in Asia! I've been flying there laterly, there are some nice airports.

Comment

• redsonssi
            redsonssi commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you~ Your opinion was very helpful.

In my honest opinion, you're not missing a whole lot with MSFS2020 yet. There's still years to go before PMDG and Aerosoft get some really likeable things into the game. I got a few addons and like to mess around with it a few times a week for an hour or so just to get that VFR experience in; however, I would recommend investing in the PMDG 777 base package and the -200ER as they're much more enjoyable and you get to look forward to GFO coming in the near future *fingers crossed*
          Jordan Warner
          i7-9700k @ 4.9 GHz, RTX 2060 Super, Corsair 32 Gb Ram 3200 Mhz

Comment

• redsonssi
            redsonssi commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you~
        Working...
        X