Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Not another Honeycomb Alpha yoke setup thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not another Honeycomb Alpha yoke setup thread...

I'm afraid this actually will be another Honeycomb Alpha yoke setup thread. Sort of. I expect to receive mine later this week, and I wanted to try to get ahead of the curve with regards to getting it setup. This will be the first time I will be setting up a (relatively) complex input device for my flight simulator (P3Dv4), and I am hoping that I can get some advice from others who have already done so successfully.

I have scanned through some other threads where folks were running into some issues and noticed several different opinions related to software used to assign controls. I have always just assigned controls within the simulator itself in the past, and this has worked fine for me so far. However, I am very much aware that the Honeycomb Alpha yoke will be a bit more complex than the joystick that I have been using up to this point. I have seen mention of people using FSUIPC (which I am aware of), as well as software called LINDA and (I think) SPAD, neither of which I know anything about. I think I have read that Honeycomb also provides a control assignment tool of some kind. Would anyone be able to possibly provide a list of pros and cons for all of these various software products (and perhaps how to obtain them) when compared to just using the control assignments within the simulator itself? In particular, I am interested primarily in maximizing software stability and minimizing software conflicts.

Thanks in advance.
    Tim Lincoln
    My YouTube Channel

I am on my phone at the moment.

however I use Fsuipc and didn’t even install the honeycomb tool.

I like to be able to setup controls exactly how I want. Be able to calibrate, change curves etc and I am so used to fsuipc I just stick with that.

I can also setup profiles per aircraft as well pretty easily so when I load in it just looks at the plane I am in and assigns controls.

I also can switch between my Hotas joystick and honeycomb yoke no issues and not have to worry about an additional program.

The honeycomb tool with get you what you need but if you want something more in depth try out Fsuipc
    Mark Roberts

Comment

The most important and absolutely mandatory thing about FSUIPC is to always use aircraft specific profiles and never assign anything globally. FSUIPC is a great tool but it‘s not free of issues. All above with PMDG there seem to be several incompatibilities, depending on how it‘s assigned. There used to be flaps axis issues for some people and now I see a strange behaviour of my thrust levers that could be a problem with FSUIPC. Whenever axes don‘t work as expected and FSUIPC is installed it‘s the first suspect to check.

Linda is an easy to use tool to assign controller buttons to aircraft functions. It requires an unregistered version of FSUIPC to communicatie with P3Dv4 and a registered version for P3Dv5. It‘s basically trouble-free and self-explaining.

Spadx (I think that‘s the name, not sure) is AFAIK a payware tool to do similar things like LINDA, more indepth with more possibilities, but I don‘t have and know it.

If you want your PC free from FSUIPC you can create profiles for the PMDG airplanes within P3D (im/export assignments) and use the CDU options where you can set keys to aircraft functions. No buttons though.
      i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
      Marc Ehnle

Comment

I've done some poking around, and it seems my options have narrowed slightly. From what I can tell, SPAD doesn't support the Honeycomb hardware. At least they don't seem to make any claims that it does that I can find. LINDA seems to be the most flexible option if I can wrap my head around the scripting. I'm a programmer, so that shouldn't be too difficult, depending on the documentation available. It's just going to take some time to figure out.
        Tim Lincoln
        My YouTube Channel

Comment

You get Linda in the avsim forum. For moet addons there are great profiles available already, just download them and put them into the folder. I don‘t think you will need to script anything. Just set up Linda per the manual, go to the assignments screen and press a button to assign whatever you want from the main FS functions or from the addon.

there are some 3 position switches in the 737 for example, I did it with a little logic of „turn a switch on, turn another switch off“ it‘s really easy.

sometimes, loading a flight, I can‘t click anything in the cockpit. If that happens I just click at Linda, go to its settings tab, back to the assignments and it works. Just in case that happens to you too.
          i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
          Marc Ehnle

Comment

Well, the yoke arrived late this afternoon. I set it up and installed the PMDG NGXu profile that I found for it. That seemed to partially work. All of the buttons on the yoke itself worked, but none of the switches on the base panel worked. It was enough to actually be able to fly though, which is a good first step in my opinion. Next, I'll have to see if I can get LINDA installed and working and see if that provides a more complete solution. While I like the idea of having physical switches to flip, I'm honestly not sure I would actually prefer that over interacting with the beautiful 3D cockpit that PMDG has provided us with. I guess it is something that I will just have to get used to.
            Tim Lincoln
            My YouTube Channel

Comment

I’m with you on that one. I only use the hat for panning, trim for, well, trim, white buttons on top to cycle views and the big red button for the AP disconnect. I only use the rest on GA types, which, IMO, they are more suited to.
              Mike Dryden
              GFO Janitor
              Retrieving lost & abandoned airframes

Comment

Mickel Does the hat switch pan the camera inside the cockpit for you? When I was running my initial tests yesterday, the hat switch would only pan in the external view. It didn't do anything inside the cockpit.
                Tim Lincoln
                My YouTube Channel

Comment

Ah... yes, there was some faffing about to get that working. I use chaseplane and got it going through that.
                  Mike Dryden
                  GFO Janitor
                  Retrieving lost & abandoned airframes

Comment

I'm glad that the control mapping exercise is behind me. Took me full 7 hours to setup 747. My brain cannot keep up with all the tools and addons I have to manage . Trying to switch from XP mode of thinking to P3D is a real pain. I mapped mine with frankestein combination of butchered Aerosoft profile FSUIPC mouse macros PMDG keystrokes to FSUIPC buttons and few offsets from SDK. Hardest part was to get FSUIPC lua script to recognize more than 32 buttons on that thing. And two hours trying to figure out how to map flap axis to gates and finally giving up and using GA flap lever.
                    Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Regarding the Honeycomb Tool, I believe we are still waiting on Aerosoft to update it to support the BBJ. Is it possible to use FSUIPC to setup the LED’s and buttons instead of waiting for this tool to be updated?
                      -Spencer Hoefer

Comment

Working...
                      X