Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

757/767

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StachM View Post

Chris, this is really something I've been meaning to ask, were your other longhaul ventures that much higher yielding, also compared to the NGXu? What I am really missing from FS are more study-level regional jets, like the E-Jet or CRJ. Planes you can do realistic 30-45 minute block time hops with after your day job and that basically fly everywhere around the globe on uncounted city pairings. If it has to be Boeing, then I can only imagine a 717 (interesting systems, operated by both small and flag carriers) or 757 (as versatile as it gets) from PMDG would have been top sellers...

I'm starting a course on object oriented programming this spring, so check beck in a few months 🤣
    I would love to see the jungle jets modeled in flight sim. Whether Embraer would be willing to provide the proprietary information to a Dev to make them is another question. As far as I know Gulfstream is the only manufacturer that seems to be "anti flight sim". I thought the same thing was true with Dassault until I heard there was a Falcon 8x in development for XP11.
    -Spencer Hoefer

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

I would love to see the jungle jets modeled in flight sim. Whether Embraer would be willing to provide the proprietary information to a Dev to make them is another question. As far as I know Gulfstream is the only manufacturer that seems to be "anti flight sim". I thought the same thing was true with Dassault until I heard there was a Falcon 8x in development for XP11.
      Dassault have been quite open with development. It's just a matter of having a developer that's willing to work on one.
      Craig Norman

Comment

PMDG already made the 757 and 767... about 20 years ago, for Terminal Reality's Fly! simulator

Those were awesome days, and to think I was but a wee lad!

I'm pretty sure it was Randazzo himself that gave me them at the AVSIM Social in Alexandria, VA because I wasn't allowed in to the hotel bar where it was being held due to being underage, even had Tom Allensworth vouch he'd watch over me! Eventually they moved down to the lobby so that I could attend and a few developers gave me products due to the trouble, will never forget the gestures of good will that everyone showed that night!

I'd love to see another 757/767 product from PMDG, one day... maybe.
        Joseph Chamberlain
        Aircraft Dispatcher - UPS Airlines

Comment

I would gladly pay the equivalent of the 777 or 747 base packs for a PMDG 757. I can imagine the -200 as the base pack, with the -300 and the freighter variants as expansions.

Yes, the 757 is becoming more rare in passenger service, but in Europe you still have the likes of TUI UK and Jet2 flying them, Russian airlines, etc. Besides, for those who like holiday charters and remember the golden days from the late 80s and 90s this would be an amazing product. Not to mention the freighter marker is huge.
          Antonio Gomes

Comment

767 is still in production, one of their most backlogged products. FedEx is still receiving brand new ones.
            William Holland

Comment

Originally posted by wjh308 View Post
              767 is still in production, one of their most backlogged products. FedEx is still receiving brand new ones.
              Does it even have the older avionics with the CRTs?
              Craig Norman

Comment

Originally posted by CANorm91 View Post
                CRT screens are no longer manufactured, what you can find are those recovered from machines in cemeteries.
                You can find 767's with 767-400 cockpits or even with 787 screens.
                MCP with mechanical windows cannot be made, than Digital MCP.
                Cédrice Rive P3D4.5
                747, MD11, 737, 777

Comment

• CANorm91
                  CANorm91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I saw some photos of the newbuild 767s, and I'm surprised that they've gone for 787 screens. However, they still seem to be using the CRT displays on the CDUs, which makes me think that they must have recycled them from a scrapped oldbuild or it was NOS.

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                  [email protected] commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen 767's CDUs with LCD screens but there must not be many.
                  It looks like the CDU is a robust item 😊

I jumpseated on FedEx once on one of their new 767's, think they went with an aftermarket cockpit, I remember seeing three very large LCD's going across, I would not call it a 787 cockpit though.
                William Holland

Comment

I jumpseated on FedEx once on one of their new 767's, think they went with an aftermarket cockpit, I remember seeing three very large LCD's going across, I would not call it a 787 cockpit though.
                  I believe boeing integrated the new LCDs into the newer cargo planes it im not mistaken. However I may be wrong
                  Alex Kulak
                  PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Nolinor has put various glass cockpits into their 732 planes
                    i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                    Marc Ehnle

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post

I believe boeing integrated the new LCDs into the newer cargo planes it im not mistaken. However I may be wrong
                      I've seen factory photos of the new LCDs in the newbuilds. They're factory OEM'd by Collins, who are a major Boeing supplier, and have the same style of display graphics as on the 787.
                      Craig Norman

Comment

I've seen factory photos of the new LCDs in the newbuilds. They're factory OEM'd by Collins, who are a major Boeing supplier, and have the same style of display graphics as on the 787.
                        Thats what I thought because I know some the KC46s have the LCDs in them and those are all brand new builds
                        Alex Kulak
                        PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• Yoshua
                          Yoshua commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Both the KC-46 and the new 300F's have LCD's.

I would love a PMDG 767 or 787. I would prefer a PMDG A330.
                        Regards,

Aaron Zylman

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                          Editing a comment
                          You made me laugh so much for the last one 🤣

Originally posted by azylman1 View Post
                        I would love a PMDG 767 or 787. I would prefer a PMDG A330.
                        ew gross no no no

Boeing proud
                        Alex Kulak
                        PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• azylman1
                          azylman1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry you’re so sensitive 😂

• Swaluver88
                          Swaluver88 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wait wait if I was sensitive I wouldn't be on the ramp all I said was ew gross airbus boeing proud lol

• Yoshua
                          Yoshua commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lol it's ok I say that at my work.

Originally posted by azylman1 View Post
                        I would prefer a PMDG A330.
                        Leave that to FSLabs.
                        Craig Norman

Comment

• azylman1
                          azylman1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Still would be nice to have a PMDG quality A330/340.

• CANorm91
                          CANorm91 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not likely to ever happen.

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                          Editing a comment
                          No worries Craig there is no risk ;-)

Steam gauges are much more expensive to maintain, and I would assume, to buy now. Steam gauges are like steam locomotives.
                        William Holland

Comment

Speaking of CRT's do they still fix them if they go out or just replace the entire cockpit with LCD's at this point? I wonder how long those screens last. I can't imagine any aircraft being made with CRT's from the factory being any newer than the very early 2000's (other than the CRJ maybe).
                          -Spencer Hoefer

Comment

• Kevin Hall
                            Kevin Hall commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They would swap faulty CRTs with spares. Replacing an entire cockpit with LCDs for one failed CRT wouldn't make sense. There are LCD retrofit options but deciding to do that would be a fleetwide project to reduce maintenance costs.

Steam gauges are much more expensive to maintain, and I would assume, to buy now. Steam gauges are like steam locomotives.

I think so too, in our club‘s 172 the altimeter was broken last year and it cost around 300€ to repair and calibrate. And there is nothing fancy about it. A new one would have cost around 1100€. Add that up with VSI, OBI(s), horizon, ASI, turn coordinator... or an RMI if you have one 🙈. I‘m sure a G500 or G1000 will come cheaper. And if you have additional GPS devices you already need nav update subscriptions anyway.
                          i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                          Marc Ehnle

Comment

Whenever this topic comes up I stick my shout in for a 757 because a properly modeled one would be so much fun to fly! There has never been a proper one done (CS and QW just don't cut it in the flight characteristics department, sorry guys but they just don't) and they are BEASTS to fly. I've spent time in a full pro simulator and the performance just blows you away like nothing else (apart from maybe a VC10?).

Please, please just do a 757. You know it makes sense
                            Bill Casey

Comment

We will have to think about opening a sort of club house where simmers of a certain generation will be able to cry over the 757/767.
                              Even if the subject comes up often that of the Max comes back much more and the famous hypothetical 787 that people hope so much....
                              Cédrice Rive P3D4.5
                              747, MD11, 737, 777

Comment

Why will the MD11 never be remade? why is he so different from others?
                                Because it is Lefeteris Who Coded it ?
                                This is a very amusing post. Its like some people believe that earth is flat and so on. It is definitely not the reason and definitely it wasn't a code from this particular person.
                                Evangelos Kagklis

Comment

Originally posted by EKagklis View Post

This is a very amusing post. Its like some people believe that earth is flat and so on. It is definitely not the reason and definitely it wasn't a code from this particular person.
                                  I still can't understand why this conspiracy theory keeps circulating. The same can also be said for FSLabs supporting GFO. They (IIRC) did say on their forums that they'd be open to it if there's an SDK, which I'd expect there to be, if I'm not mistaken.
                                  Craig Norman

Comment

Originally posted by Billc View Post
                                    Whenever this topic comes up I stick my shout in for a 757 because a properly modeled one would be so much fun to fly! There has never been a proper one done (CS and QW just don't cut it in the flight characteristics department, sorry guys but they just don't) and they are BEASTS to fly. I've spent time in a full pro simulator and the performance just blows you away like nothing else (apart from maybe a VC10?).

Please, please just do a 757. You know it makes sense
                                    Yeah... I should know better than to keep hoping for this, but a PMDG 757 would be one of the very, very few 'insta-buys' for me.
                                    Best regards,

Lars Domen

Comment

757/767 would be quite unique from PMDG actually however nowadays not many airlines are flying 757/767s and many of them are trying to retire and replace it with new 787s and A350s . There is a potential though especially flying freighter versions but its 50-50. I would personally still buy it if they make one but the flying options will be limited.
                                      Usama Ahmed - LHR EASA PPL Trainee

Comment

Our 747's usually have a mix of LCD and CRT's. At the previous airline, 2015 era brand new CRJ 900's came with CRT's still. Certified aviation lags behind by a decade it seems. General aviation experimentals have the best technology because none of it is certified.
                                        William Holland

Comment

757/767's are actually one generation older than 747-400's and are considered dinosaurs. Airlines have to invest millions per airframe to bring them up to required navigation standards to even be able to use the North Atlantic Oceanic airspace, track system. I don't even think they came with GPS when new.
                                          They make perfect sense for cargo operations where the investment made in avionics will pay itself back many times over. For the passenger carrying airlines, much harder sell. The efficiency difference with new airplanes is insane. An A350 is 20% more efficient than a 777, you could imagine how much more efficient a 787 is from a 767? An A32x Neo must blow a 757 out of the water.
                                          Cargo is different however, it's more about airframe suitability to handle cargo ops and cost to acquire the airframe, which makes the 757 and 767 insanely popular.
                                          My airline is going to be the launch customer for the 777-300 ERSF freighter conversion, will be interesting to see, should be a 747-400 BCF killer.
                                          William Holland

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Just like the 777W killed the 747s or the A330 killed the 767.....
                                            The 777-X will also kill the -200ER and -300ER

757/767's are actually one generation older than 747-400's and are considered dinosaurs. Airlines have to invest millions per airframe to bring them up to required navigation standards to even be able to use the North Atlantic Oceanic airspace, track system. I don't even think they came with GPS when new.
                                          They make perfect sense for cargo operations where the investment made in avionics will pay itself back many times over. For the passenger carrying airlines, much harder sell. The efficiency difference with new airplanes is insane. An A350 is 20% more efficient than a 777, you could imagine how much more efficient a 787 is from a 767? An A32x Neo must blow a 757 out of the water.
                                          Cargo is different however, it's more about airframe suitability to handle cargo ops and cost to acquire the airframe, which makes the 757 and 767 insanely popular.
                                          My airline is going to be the launch customer for the 777-300 ERSF freighter conversion, will be interesting to see, should be a 747-400 BCF killer.
                                          Well, the 757/767 came out just before there were calls for GPS to be opened up to civilian use after the KAL007 incident, where a loss of accuracy caused by INS drift led to the flight inadvertently straying illegally into Soviet airspace, and because GPS can retain accuracy when there's no VOR stations available to correct the INS, benefits of GPS in civil aviation then became realised, and as a result, GPS receivers were being offered as retrofits and as standard equipment on newly-built FMC-equipped airliners.
                                          Craig Norman

Comment

I really don't understand the logic when people say there would be no point im PMDG investing in a 757 due to its age. There are still quite a few flying and many simmers remember its heyday. If you look at the A300, production was roughly half that of the 757 and nowadays the ratio of aircraft in service is roughly 1/3 of the 757. Yet, the Inibuilds A300 is a big success, so much they've gone on to develop the remaining variants AND the A310. Would they be doing this if it wasn't financially viable? I don't think so. The Leonardo Maddog is a similar story, and there's not even a freighter market for it, like for the A300 or 757.

Bottom line is, not all simmers want to fly real world schedules with the real equipment or glass cockpits 100% of the time. People like airliners of previous generations, particularly one with the amazing performance of the 757. Transatlantic flights? Check. London-Edinburgh shuttle? Check. Landing with 230 passengers on a 1,600m Greek holiday island runway? Check.

So yes, I would gladly pay the equivalent of the 747 for a PMDG 757 - same as I would for a 737 Classic, Fokker 100 or Airbus A310 of that level.
                                            Antonio Gomes

Comment

Originally posted by Captain748 View Post
                                              757/767 would be quite unique from PMDG actually however nowadays not many airlines are flying 757/767s and many of them are trying to retire and replace it with new 787s and A350s . There is a potential though especially flying freighter versions but its 50-50. I would personally still buy it if they make one but the flying options will be limited.
                                              Who cares how many airlines still fly them? You can still fly the old routes in the sim. Hell we still build 767's.
                                              Yoshi Elder

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Well seen ..😉 it's because of this "typical" profile (which represents a large part of the community)
                                                That you will not find 80's planes

The reason that the odds of a 767/757 are like a drop of water in a bucket is that most users want to simulate as close to reality as possible, so with real lines with real destinations, no way for them to use a 777LR, I'm pretty sure that the impact of the covid on the 747 has caused it to retire and invariably also has an impact on the -400 sim.
                                              The way of simulating has changed in 20 years.

As Emi said at length about classic planes
                                              I feel like when the aircraft is old enough, like, 737cl/747cl/727/A300/Concorde then it is ok to restart to simulate the historic flights assigned to this aircraft. but when the aircraft is just retired, then people will just let it down. That's weird.... To me the matter is just systems quality, that's why I would love to see a PMDG 767/757, or the aircrafts I have mentioned just above on this message, that's why I fly PMDG, FSLABS or Majestic Software and not the pricy CS... I understand that for economical reason they will chose the market with more demand, and.... this market is the one where people want to reproduce the flight they took few days ago with their family for vacation.
                                              Gabriel B. Mitard / SPL - PPL(A) - NVFR - ATPL(A) EASA 6/14 work in progress...

Comment

Working...
                                              X